Prep side effect?

AsianBarebackSlut

So i am trying prep for more than 3 months and these are the side effects that i have encountered. When i tried event dose before 3 months taking 2 pills triggered dizziness and constant nausea.

As a result, i changed to daily dosage, however i cant explain the exact symptom but my head feels dull and i constantly have slight nausea. So, i am going off for now.

I guess i should consult with doctor but buying is illegal in my country. So it is quite dilemma. I bought it when i was abroad

Anyone feeling the similar symptoms?

On 9/15/2019 at 9:16 AM, AsianBarebackSlut said:

So i am trying prep for more than 3 months and these are the side effects that i have encountered. When i tried event dose before 3 months taking 2 pills triggered dizziness and constant nausea.

As a result, i changed to daily dosage, however i cant explain the exact symptom but my head feels dull and i constantly have slight nausea. So, i am going off for now.

I guess i should consult with doctor but buying is illegal in my country. So it is quite dilemma. I bought it when i was abroad

Nausea is a somewhat common side effect of Truvada (Emtricitabine+Tenofovir) so it wouldn't be unheard of to have something like that occur.  As for illegality, I don't think the medication itself is illegal anywhere in the world, so I cant see how possession would be illegal.  This isn't something like amphetamines or opiates, there is no abuse potential for truvada, so I don't think many would care.  Also sometimes Nausea can be naturally helped by things like diet, sleep, and exercise changes.

As for going off of it, sure, but also make sure you change your sexual practices.  I had two friends stop Prep for a couple months, one because he thought he didn't need it, and another because he was changing insurance, and both became HIV+ because they didn't change their sexual habits.   

• Like 1

Usually the side effects you're describing are self limiting and resolve themselves. However rarely they won't go away. You could try for a bit longer and see if it gets better. The other thing is you really should be monitoring your HIV status and bloodwork while you are on PrEP.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2019 at 10:16 AM, AsianBarebackSlut said:

Nausea, dizziness and “brain fog” are common to all HIV meds. Dramamine for nausea and Ensure for brain fog, although Arizona Sweet Tea is good too. Coffee for dizziness. 

I ate about half a package of cheap lemon oreo-like cookies once and I think they reacted to the meds. I felt like I’d had about four mixed drinks.  I was reeling. 

Maybe you got counterfeit meds? Anything is possible. 

Edited by Pozlover1
  • Like 1

On 9/15/2019 at 7:16 AM, AsianBarebackSlut said:

Which medication(s) are you on?

I was on Truvada for many years. The nausea went away after a few weeks or so. At least for me. 
If you continue to take Truvada, you should get blood work done every 3 months to make sure your kidneys are not being damaged by the drug. 

• Upvote 1

Guest takingdeepanal
On 9/17/2019 at 4:43 AM, wood said:

As for illegality, I don't think the medication itself is illegal anywhere in the world, so I cant see how possession would be illegal. 

If his country still legislates that gay sex is illegal, possession of a pill that only gay men would use to prevent a "gay disease" (not my phrase) would be by extension also illegal. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest CuriousDallas

I had a problem with nausea when I first went on it but found weed helped. I’m on my parents insurance and can’t have them find out I’m on it so I get it shipped to me from Mexico as it’s cheaper. As a result I don’t really have much of an ability to adjust meds or really be sure it’s working right like if I was doing it in consultation with a doctor. I haven’t been tested since going on it but other than the nausea I feel pretty good. I get fatigued sometimes and have insomnia sometimes too...not sure if that’s the meds or something else

12 hours ago, CuriousDallas said:

I had a problem with nausea when I first went on it but found weed helped. I’m on my parents insurance and can’t have them find out I’m on it so I get it shipped to me from Mexico as it’s cheaper. As a result I don’t really have much of an ability to adjust meds or really be sure it’s working right like if I was doing it in consultation with a doctor. I haven’t been tested since going on it but other than the nausea I feel pretty good. I get fatigued sometimes and have insomnia sometimes too...not sure if that’s the meds or something else

Been on PrEP for several years. I take it at night so I don't have any nausea. Also drink lots of water and get tested. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/13/2019 at 9:34 AM, CuriousDallas said:

That could be life causing fatigue. However, make sure you test for syphilis regularly. 

• 4 weeks later...

Guest hungandmean

You should try eating when you take it and if that isn't helping then you can ask for mylan-pantaprozole as that should resolve the nausea without adding the drowsiness etc that dramamine (Gravol) would or the common ingredients in most antacids that counteract the drugs youre taking 

• 2 months later...
Guest girlybb

PEP made me feel very ill. Should I assume PrEP will too? I had a prescription for PrEP (don't any longer)  but never filled it because I thought my body wouldn't tolerate it.