How Viral is 34,000 VLC ?

Guest FinalDL2021

Guest FinalDL2021

I met a guy here, that I am getting ready to have sex with, he is POZ,  not on meds, and his VL is 34k, what are my chances of getting infected at this level?

• 1 month later...
Guest hungandmean

34k is relatively low and not representative of how sick someone is....

Dudes can have viral loads in the 200-300k range. In my experience your CD4 count actually shows how sick someone is - or their platelets. 

Below 200 CD4 or less than 150k platelets is when people really start to show the symptoms of aids.

And before you get ahead of yourself I can 100% confirm that anyone who is trying to be sexy within that range is either a fucking psychopath or lying to you because there is no ability to be horny when you're that fucking ill. 

The OP started this thread a month and a half ago, and so has probably already either done or not done what he was asking about doing. As this was posted on the HIV Risk Reduction board, however, and not the chaser/gifter/lunatic section, I’m going to weigh in anyway.

So the guy is not on meds and knows his viral load and he’s still fucking guys bare? HIV risk reduction tactic 1: Don’t let the son of a bitch fuck you. He clearly cares nothing for your life or well-being. Or his own, for that matter, because a viral load at that level suggests that because he is allowing the virus free rein to multiply and assault his immune system, it is on its way to becoming a HVL in due course. After that, if he doesn’t start ART pretty quickly, his CT4 count will go through the floor, he’ll catch pneumonia or meningitis or one of the other opportunistic diseases, and then he’ll die.

Don’t let anyone tell you that HIV isn’t a deadly disease anymore. It will kill you just as surely, and in just the same way, as it’s been killing people since it started. If you’re one of these fools with a death wish who decides you’re not going to take meds - yeah, it’s still a death sentence.

I know, because it almost killed me. It’s a fluke of biology that I survived, and it’s been a hard road coming back from the edge, and I’m still probably going to die ten years earlier than I would have.

So, back to the original question - what are your chances of getting infected if you let this guy fuck you? The answer is that whether 34,000 is a high or low viral load is beside the point. If you don’t want to catch HIV (you don’t, even if you think you do) find somebody else. Somebody on PrEP. And if you’re going to fuck bare, get on it yourself.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ErosWired said:

The OP started this thread a month and a half ago, and so has probably already either done or not done what he was asking about doing. As this was posted on the HIV Risk Reduction board, however, and not the chaser/gifter/lunatic section, I’m going to weigh in anyway.

So the guy is not on meds and knows his viral load and he’s still fucking guys bare? HIV risk reduction tactic 1: Don’t let the son of a bitch fuck you. He clearly cares nothing for your life or well-being. Or his own, for that matter, because a viral load at that level suggests that because he is allowing the virus free rein to multiply and assault his immune system, it is on its way to becoming a HVL in due course. After that, if he doesn’t start ART pretty quickly, his CT4 count will go through the floor, he’ll catch pneumonia or meningitis or one of the other opportunistic diseases, and then he’ll die.

Don’t let anyone tell you that HIV isn’t a deadly disease anymore. It will kill you just as surely, and in just the same way, as it’s been killing people since it started. If you’re one of these fools with a death wish who decides you’re not going to take meds - yeah, it’s still a death sentence.

I know, because it almost killed me. It’s a fluke of biology that I survived, and it’s been a hard road coming back from the edge, and I’m still probably going to die ten years earlier than I would have.

So, back to the original question - what are your chances of getting infected if you let this guy fuck you? The answer is that whether 34,000 is a high or low viral load is beside the point. If you don’t want to catch HIV (you don’t, even if you think you do) find somebody else. Somebody on PrEP. And if you’re going to fuck bare, get on it yourself.

Sound advice. I don’t criticize them because they have heard it all. All the safe sex / condom Nazis turned me off more than HIV so I just ignored both. And here I am. 

• Upvote 2

I try not to make noise about it all over the boards, and I don’t even look at the Giver/Chaser section because it makes me insane, but if someone posts something here in the HIV Risk/Risk Reduction section, I call it like I see it. I figure I survived AIDS for a reason, and part of that is to talk about it.

• Upvote 3

Guest FinalDL2021
On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 7:34 PM, ErosWired said:

I have not gone through with this, and my attitudes regarding the GIfter/Chaser Fantasy have been changing over time, and I find myself moving away from this desire. I have since discovered other ways to add a rush of adrenaline to my sex, without putting my health in Jeopardy.