United States or united

Pozlover1

2 minutes ago, DutchDude said:

Ā 

God bless these United States of America.Ā šŸ˜„Ā šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡ø

I never capitalize ā€œunitedā€, just like in the original Declaration of Independence. I believe itā€™sĀ time to start choosing what State suits you best and get set up there, for obvious reasons.

4 hours ago, Pozlover1 said:

I never capitalize ā€œunitedā€, just like in the original Declaration of Independence. I believe itā€™sĀ time to start choosing what State suits you best and get set up there, for obvious reasons.

So you'd call it the "these fifty united States of America" ?

1 hour ago, DutchDude said:

So you'd call it the "these fifty united States of America" ?

Words are chosen carefully in legal proceedings. Pay close attention to them. The Declaration called it ā€œthe united States of Americaā€. Look it up if you donā€™t believe me. It became The United States Of America in 1873 when it became a Corporation.Ā 
There is no such nation as America.Ā America in the rest of the world refers Ā to what we call North, South and Central America.Ā The jokeā€™s on us.Ā Make America Great Againā€ means Trump plans NO SOUTHERN BORDER. After the inevitable Ā outcry at deportations, US citizens will be issued a Microchip ā€œto prove citizenshipā€. At that point theĀ illegals will be the only Free Americans in the USA!!!Ā Ā 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 3

OK, not to throw fuel on the fire, but I remind you of the Preamble to the ConstitutionĀ 

Ā 

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence,]Ā promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.Ā 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GeorgiaBoy said:

OK, not to throw fuel on the fire, but I remind you of the Preamble to the ConstitutionĀ 

Ā 

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence,]Ā promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.Ā 

Essentially correct. ThisĀ was writtenĀ 12 years after the Declaration of Independence and all copies of the Declaration by that timeĀ have the ā€œcapital Uā€. The first draft says ā€œWe the People of Delaware, etc., listingĀ the States, and in the next paragraph names the government ā€œThe United Statesā€. The second version is the one you quote.Ā 

7 hours ago, Pozlover1 said:

Words are chosen carefully in legal proceedings. Pay close attention to them. The Declaration called it ā€œthe united States of Americaā€. Look it up if you donā€™t believe me. It became The United States Of America in 1873 when it became a Corporation.Ā 
There is no such nation as America.Ā America in the rest of the world refers Ā to what we call North, South and Central America.Ā The jokeā€™s on us.Ā Make America Great Againā€ means Trump plans NO SOUTHERN BORDER. After the inevitable Ā outcry at deportations, US citizens will be issued a Microchip ā€œto prove citizenshipā€. At that point theĀ illegals will be the only Free Americans in the USA!!!Ā Ā 

Ā 

Indeed. And I wish you guys good fortune. Alas there's populist idiots getting a lot of idol's votes everywhere, it's not much different this side of the Atlantic. :-/

Ā 

And I did, theĀ declaration used the formula: "The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America", at least Wikipedia says so. Ā 

On 10/14/2019 at 2:59 AM, DutchDude said:

Ā 

Indeed. And I wish you guys good fortune. Alas there's populist idiots getting a lot of idol's votes everywhere, it's not much different this side of the Atlantic. šŸ˜•

Ā 

And I did, theĀ declaration used the formula: "The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America", at least Wikipedia says so. Ā 

OXO my friend

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Porthos
On 10/13/2019 at 7:33 PM, Pozlover1 said:

Read the constitution...We the people of the United States......capitalized. Written in 1787....Where do you come up with this stuff?

58 minutes ago, skylon said:

Read the constitution...We the people of the United States......capitalized. Written in 1787....Where do you come up with this stuff?

As I clearly stated it isĀ the ā€œunited States of Americaā€ on the original public copy of the Declaration of IndependenceĀ datedĀ July 4 1776. It is ā€œunited States of Americaā€ both in large letters at the top of the page as the title of the document and in bold text, words 7-10 of the last paragraph. The first draft, laterĀ versions, and the Constitution all have the capital ā€œUā€.Ā 

Edited by Pozlover1

7 minutes ago, Pozlover1 said:

As I clearly stated it isĀ the ā€œunited States of Americaā€ on the original public copy of the Declaration of IndependenceĀ datedĀ July 4 1776. It is ā€œunited States of Americaā€ both in large letters at the top of the page as the title of the document and in bold text, words 7-10 of the last paragraph. The first draft, laterĀ versions, and the Constitution all have the capital ā€œUā€.Ā 

Furthermore, later in the last paragraph the words ā€œfree and independent statesā€ are ALSO in bold letters.....

1 hour ago, Danthebttmman57 said:

You are all right or left or whatever on this question of the constitution, it doesntĀ matter ā€”-this country is ripping itself Ā apart.Ā 

The wording about ā€œfree and independent Statesā€ in the Ā 1776Ā Declaration of Independence may have been the original intent of the signers, or a just a temporaryĀ Masonic lie to get support for an Empire. The balance between State and Federal power continues, but, the Fed , like California, is flat broke and grossly incompetent. Thatā€™s why I say choose a State you like as soon as possible.Ā 

• 3 weeks later...
Guest BreedMeInVegas

Perhaps it was a simple mistake not capitalizing the u in the case you keep referencing because there was no spell check back then?

In all seriousness though, Article 1Ā of the Articles of Confederation clearly states: The Stile of this Confederacy shall be "The United States of America".

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by BreedMeInVegas
Speeling

• 7 months later...

I realize this topic died out a while back, but in reviewing it, I noticed some things that perhaps some posters did not.

It's true that the Declaration of Independence referred to "united" states - lower case. That's because as of the time of its signing, the thirteen original colonies were thirteen legally separate units with no legal connections to each other. Hence, there was nothing to capitalize, because there was no single nation in existence here. Contrary to some people's mistaken beliefs, the Declaration of Independence did not create a nation of any sort. It is thus expressly wrong that the Declaration "created" the U.S. It did not. It merely dissolved the bonds between thirteen colonies and their motherĀ country.

An actual separate nation only came into effect with the Articles of Confederation, more than a year later - the "first" iteration of a United States - which duly capitalized the "U".Ā  In fact, the very first article of the Articles of Confederation gave the country its name: 'The Stile of this confederacy shall be, ā€œThe United States of America.ā€'

I wouldn't particularly worry about picking a state for when the country falls apart. But if anyone does feel so compelled, I'd advise looking carefully at which ones (ie the red states) depend on federal money to survive and which ones (ie the blue states) contribute more to federal coffers than they get back. Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, the Carolinas, Missouri - all take far more from the feds than they give. When that money dries up, see how fast roads in those states go to hell, how many state universities shut down for lack of funding, how many people lose health care because there's no Medicare or Medicaid, etc.

• Like 1