Descovy as Prep

justsexnowatl

I've been in a clinical trial for Descovy as Prep for over 2.5 years now.  It's the same two ingredients as Truvada but a different ratio and less side effects as far as kidney function and bone density loss over time - that's what they have been testing as well as it's effectiveness.  It was a 50/50 chance if I was on Descovy or the placebo, which was Truvada.  Everyone took 2 pillls a day - one looked like each pill but only one was real.  I had already been on Truvada for a couple years by the time the study started and was the classic Truvada whore taking any and all loads, no questions asked, no fear.....and got the stds to prove it - I think that's why the Dr thought I'd be a good test subject since Dr KNEW I was sexually active enough to keep getting stds up the ass https://assets.s3xstatic.com/bz/uploads/emoticons/default_sad.png 

I was curious if my behavior would change once the study started - if I'd get a little more nervous and revert back to more top like I was before Prep.....not knowing if I was really protected or not.  Well the opposite happened.  I was so turned on by the somewhat increased risk I became almost a total bottom for about 6 months when the study started.  I was hitting the sex club and bathhouse more often than ever, went to sex parties out of town, cumunion and Poz/Prep night at our sex club and hit a couple personal records for guys fucking me and loads taken during that time.  I changed my own hiv status to ask me during the trial and NO ONE ever asked except chasers wanting to know if I'm toxic.   I had sex with tons of other "ask me" guys and a lot from the sex club and sex parties.  Of course I never asked anyone their status and no one asked mine.....NO ONE does anymore!!

Yesterday I found out that I was one of only 2 guys in their facility that had actually been on Descovy through out the study.  There were 20 guys in their faciltiy (40 in all of Atlanta).  It was a random 50/50 chance which drug we were on, but Dr said it was a little strange it was just 2 of us from their place.  He thanked me for participating and helping the  drug come to market and now be FDA approved.   I was really happy I had truly put it to the test the best I could and didn't chicken out about being a slut.  I was keeping track of how many times I topped and bottomed to answer questions during the study, but estimates were ok so I stopped after the first few months.   I like group sex a lot so partner counts are relatively high compared to actual number of sex acts.  If I have sex twice a week it might involve 10 or 15 raw fucks that week if I went to a sex party.  So my stats were pretty good for the test https://assets.s3xstatic.com/bz/uploads/emoticons/default_smile.png     We keep getting the drug and all std tests and everything for free for another year (they keep doing follow up) but I told the Dr I'd be up for doing another study sometime.  He said quarterly shots are still in the works and he'd let me know.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 7

• 1 month later...
On 11/14/2019 at 3:46 AM, justsexnowatl said:

I've been in a clinical trial for Descovy as Prep for over 2.5 years now.  [...] Yesterday I found out that I was one of only 2 guys in their facility that had actually been on Descovy through out the study.  

Thanks for taking a few hundred dicks and loads for the team. I'm on Descovy now.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

It should be mentioned that, while Descovy is better than Truvada in some regards (not all), Truvada is completely sufficient for the vast majority of people. Truvada is about to go generic in the US (it already is generic in other parts of the world), so if your doctor switches you to Descovy when you've had zero problems with Truvada, then your doctor is probably getting paid by Gilead (the drug company) and can't be trusted. (It's time to look for a new doc.)

Back many moons ago I actually worked in pharmaceutical marketing and saw all this first hand. I coded and maintained a database that organized paid vacations for docs funded by pharma companies (actually they'd spend a few hours talking about how wonderful the drug was and then the rest of the day on the golf course or on the ski slopes). On top of that I had one doctor around that time where EVERY TIME I went to his office there was a pharmaceutical rep sitting in his waiting room wanting to talk to him. The kick backs the doctors get are real and can be rather obscene.

A year's supply of Truvada costs a few hundred dollars to make. Yet, if they switch you to Descovy Gilead will charge around $15,000/year. It's not like they just discovered Descovy. They waited to release it now, just as Truvada is going generic, so they can keep their profits up. And we wonder why we can't seem to afford universal healthcare in this country…

The difference in the costs of these two medications could provide basic healthcare for maybe a dozen or more kids. To me it's immoral to switch from Truvada to Descovy unless there is a medically valid reason for doing so (e.g. you're experiencing non-trivial problems and can't tolerate Truvada, or you have a family or personal history that requires you to reduce certain medical risks that are an issue with Truvada, but not Descovy).

• Upvote 4

Descovy is a superior option for those on any other medications/supplements with potential renal damage.  This includes the vast majority of pre/post workout drinks (for the fitness guys out that). My husband just transitioned to Descovy because he takes creatinine powder.  Descovy is also superior to those with low Vitamin D or a family history of osteoporosis.  Finally, while both medications can impact LDL and total cholesterol in adverse ways, Descovy appears to not lower HDL as seen in Truvada. 
If your insurance/finances will cover Descovy, Descovy is the superior option.  It has a safer long-term side effect profile.  Otherwise, Truvada (and the soon-to-be generic) are an amazing choice. 

Edited by renovers82
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Guest Descartes70817

I'm on Descovy and Prescobix now instead of Triumeq to keep me undetectable, but I've yet to be tested to see if the change has been effective in mitigating the side-effects of being on Triumeq. I'm not feeling it so far but it's early days yet.