Anyone switch from Truvada to Descovy?

PG1961Canada

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, DeviantLust said:

Made the switch to Descovy last year to guard against possible harmful side effects of Truvada. Doing fine.

I switched to Descovy from Truvada many months ago for similar reasons. I'm doing fine also with no side effects. 

Descovy lowers the dosage of the medication that can have kidney and liver impacts. This lowered dosage doesn't in any way lessen the effectiveness of PrEP based on the studies I've read. Descovy is safer (for those with kidney and liver sensitivities) and equally as effective. Of course, it must be taken in compliance with your doctor's instructions, just like Truvada.

I don't even think about HIV as men fuck their seed deep into my cunt, just about their DNA becoming a part of me.

I had experiencing falling kidney function after taking Truvada (TDF). It started out with a very slow and mild decline, and then about year 5 the decline started to accelerate rapidly, so much so that I was classified with chronic kidney disease level 3. I was sent to a nephrologist who took me off of Truvada and re-tested my kidney function after a month and my kidney function was substantially better than it was before. He had my doctor switch me to another drug that was more kidney friendly and over the next two years my kidney function bounced back. It's still not back to where it was when I started Truvada, but it's at least in the low end of the normal range now and I'm no longer classified with CKD3. There is an active class action suit against Gilead over Truvada, because they knew kidney damage was a side effect but they continued to delay the release of TAF until the patent on TDF was about to expire, even though TAF was developed and available many years before.

I also later discovered a few years later that I suffered bone density loss as well, and I was put on alendronate (generic Fosamax) for two years as a precautionary measure to reverse some of the bone loss. I was retested two years later and my bone loss had improved and they took me off the alendronate.

Edited by Close2MyBro

My medical provider switched me to Descovy this past summer.  In her opinion, there was no discussion to be had...she was planning on switching me to it whether I asked for it or not.  The first couple days I took it, I had a little bit of nausea, but since then no side effects.  The smaller pill size is nice.

I remember reading about a possibility of weight gain on Descovy...has anyone experienced this that they can definitely attribute to Descovy?  My weight has been up and down this year because of the damn pandemic and stress eating and such...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My doctor switched me from truvada to descovy and it was the worst mistake I ever did. I've had to come off Prep all together because of the horrible side effects from guy wrenching stomach cramps and being in the bathroom 24/7. 

It's not worth it too me I might as well have fun as living with that.  Travada did start to work on my kidneys so I had to stop taking that as well.  

I know it sounds bad but I know someday HIV will be a part of my life but I might as well have fun as be in pain.