new case of PrEP failure

SubHornyBottom

......I am worried cases like this will . become more and more and then it's all resistant...And we will back to the fear like we were in the 1980s...

[think before following links] https://www.aidsmap.com/news/nov-2019/how-do-we-deal-apparent-cases-prep-failure

The virus is mutating fast to adjust PrEP...I am afraid that soon PrEP will stop working......

• Upvote 1

Just now, Pozlover1 said:

You can’t fool mother nature

Yeah 😞  ... I have a feeling that mother nature will put us in hell one way or another...since we as well as other gender noncomformings...are basically defying the nature's law...some kind of darwinism....I don't know...But it sure feels like it. Like...LGBTQ+s are more likely to get HIV and other STDs, more easily murdered, more likely to become homeless and have higher suicidal rates....Is it naturals law to purge the unfit ? ...

• Downvote 5

Guest Porthos

If you read the article you will find there were some very unique and rare factors present with the patient that may allowed him to become infected....With the hundreds of thousands now taking PrEP there are going to always be some instances of infection....This is not a sign of a new mutation going to make PrEP ineffective

2 minutes ago, skylon said:

If you read the article you will find there were some very unique and rare factors present with the patient that may allowed him to become infected....With the hundreds of thousands now taking PrEP there are going to always be some instances of infection....This is not a sign of a new mutation going to make PrEP ineffective

That is your un-medically-tested opinion.

• Downvote 3

It shows that having other sexually transmitted infections make people more susceptible to catching HIV even if taking prep medication. 

Goes to show that its getting tested for STIs and treated for them is the best advice for guys on prep. 

Makes you wonder if having other STIs affect how well treatment works in undetectable people... 

Perhaps research is needed in this area? 

Perhaps it's a combination multiplication risk effect... 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, SubHornyBottom said:

Yeah 😞  ... I have a feeling that mother nature will put us in hell one way or another...since we as well as other gender noncomformings...are basically defying the nature's law...some kind of darwinism....I don't know...But it sure feels like it. Like...LGBTQ+s are more likely to get HIV and other STDs, more easily murdered, more likely to become homeless and have higher suicidal rates....Is it naturals law to purge the unfit ? ...

The fact that people keep being born Gay refutes the whole concept of Evolution. It makes more sense that being Gay is a birth defect, and like all birth defects is caused from the bad genes we got from having sex with demons (Gen 6:4). As such, God loves us all and wishes us only the best.  If AIDS was a punishment, Jesus would not have healed the Centurion’s lover (Mat 8:5-13 and Luke 7:1-10). It’s the animal beast nature that causes the heteros to kill us. Not God. 

Edited by Pozlover1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
On 12/1/2019 at 2:13 PM, SubHornyBottom said:

That is your un-medically-tested opinion.

No, it's pretty much exactly what the article you linked says. Resistance to emtricitabine is something that happens, but they believe it happened in this patient after he was infected. It also specifically indicates that resistance to emtricitabine makes the virus less able to survive.

The article does state:

there were several factors that may have contributed to his PrEP not working:

• He did have a PrEP break five weeks before HIV diagnosis and we can’t rule out that the patient had sex closer to that break than he recalls.
  • The LGV inflammation may have increased the likelihood of transmission.
  • It’s possible, if not very likely, that he may have caught a virus with a degree of pre-existing resistance to PrEP.
  • For some reason (such as efficient kidney excretion) this patient had rather low levels of the PrEP drugs and especially tenofovir in his system. While they should normally have been adequate, they may not have been so if combined with the other two or three factors.

It doesn't say anything about growing resistance to PrEP.

• Upvote 2

On 12/1/2019 at 2:14 PM, SubHornyBottom said:

I feel we at the brink of another HIV outbreak, and this time, the strain is PrEP-resistant...I am so afraid that this new wave could wipe out the whole Gay population...

To repeat what you just said this is your medically un-tested opinion. 

The simple fact is that for men that are prep adherent, the cases of failure are incredibly low, and while they should not be ignored, they also do not represent a huge shift in HIV genetic mutation. If that was the case we would also be seeing lots of resistance is very common HIV medications that contain the same drugs as prep, and that’s not the case. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Medical science is, alas, still a bit of an oxymoron. The nice thing about this case (as is explained quite well in the article) is that it is unusually well-documented, so it gives the scientists a bit more to work with than is usual. The conclusions we can draw from it are:

1. PrEP is not perfect. Very good, yes (and the continued collection of statistics bears this out). But not perfect.

2. In cases where compliance is good, factors other than viral resistance are very likely to play a role in transmission in cases of PrEP failure. In this particular case, bacterial infections and low blood levels of Tenofovir (likely due to increased clearance) are probable contributors.

I'd like to add my personal opinion that the doomsaying and descriptions of gays as doomed, flawed, or defective, which showed up in a number of posts in this thread, are really not very constructive. I hope that those of you who feel that way can get through such feelings to a more positive view of yourselves and of us as a collective. Life is a terminal condition, and the fact that transmissible disease (far from limited to HIV) is a relatively rare cause of it, is an anomaly of the last century.

And let's not forget that it truly has gotten better. My ex-BF, whom I convinced to go bareback in 2000 or so, seroconverted sometime in the early 2000s.  He died a couple of days ago of complications from heart surgery, without having suffered notable ill health from HIV.

• Like 3