new case of PrEP failure

SubHornyBottom

Hey doomsdayers, I can get cancer from the stuff on my lawn and in the processed food I eat. I can get a brain tumor by keeping my phone near my head too often.  I can get hit by a truck tomorrow afternoon by looking the wrong way.  I can have a stroke or a heart attack next week because of my genetics.  Anything out there can fuck you over. Anything - but its pretty rare.  I barebacked for 15 years in almost every Country on earth at almost every bath house on the map, in the most unsafe, dirty environments you could imagine, parTying with strangers from anywhere with no regard for anything except if they had a cock they could use my holes and amazingly I am HIV-.  3 months ago I went  on PrEP but I know that is just a safety net that won't work 100% and that's OK. I probably won't get hit by that truck either but you never know.  Smile and relax, it's going to be OK. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Given the original HIV/AIDS outbreak didn't doom all gays to death, why would any future one - even with people deliberately going out to get infected by it when it was somewhat known to be at best a slow death sentence...

Sure, lots of people may die but let's not jump to the apocalypse yet - humans have survived: 'flu epidemics, smallpox, TB, the Plague, the various filo viruses (Marbug, Ebola, Ebola Zaire) and they'll likely survive any of the mutant strains of [insert a retrovirus here] that comes along but in the long term - in the short term, it may feel more bleak to those experiencing it.

Edited by fuckyouraw777
[better clarification of thought]
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/1/2019 at 3:14 PM, SubHornyBottom said:

I feel we at the brink of another HIV outbreak, and this time, the strain is PrEP-resistant...I am so afraid that this new wave could wipe out the whole Gay population...

I'd bet my left nut you're still waiting to be put in one of those gay camps that we've heard Trump was going to cage all the gays in lmfao😅

"Reports have come out that a gay man on prep caught hiv"

OMG THE END IS NIGHHHHHH 😂 IT'S A WAVVVVVE

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/1/2019 at 6:49 PM, SubHornyBottom said:

Yeah 😞  ... I have a feeling that mother nature will put us in hell one way or another...since we as well as other gender noncomformings...are basically defying the nature's law...some kind of darwinism....I don't know...But it sure feels like it. Like...LGBTQ+s are more likely to get HIV and other STDs, more easily murdered, more likely to become homeless and have higher suicidal rates....Is it naturals law to purge the unfit ? ...

I dont believe mother nature created aids i think its man made thing.Men have been fucking each other for thousand of years,aids has only been with us for about 40 years

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Actually science has been able to trace HIV back to the late 1800s/early 1900s in the Belgium Congo.

Technology was no where near the ability to create any kind of bio-weapon back then.

Until the world's population became more mobile, especially with the the advent of cheap air travel, it wasn't able to move beyond that area.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BiAggieGuy said:

Actually science has been able to trace HIV back to the late 1800s/early 1900s in the Belgium Congo.

Technology was no where near the ability to create any kind of bio-weapon back then.

Until the world's population became more mobile, especially with the the advent of cheap air travel, it wasn't able to move beyond that area.

Current theories include a well meaning scientist in Africa making a vaccine using monkey livers (human livers are rarely plentiful). Of course Oscar Wilde died early and so did Candy Darling, so who knows....

Edited by Pozlover1
  • Like 1

On 12/1/2019 at 3:13 PM, SubHornyBottom said:

That is your un-medically-tested opinion.

no actually it isn't an unsupported opinion ... he clearly had read and understood article. did you read the entire article? while the article does indicate that while  "... this case is perhaps more typical of possible PrEP “breakthrough” cases ..."  it then continues ... "It is rather that there were several factors that may have contributed to his PrEP not working:

He did have a PrEP break five weeks before HIV diagnosis and we can’t rule out that the patient had sex closer to that break than he recalls.

The LGV inflammation may have increased the likelihood of transmission.

It’s possible, if not very likely, that he may have caught a virus with a degree of pre-existing resistance to PrEP.

For some reason (such as efficient kidney excretion) this patient had rather low levels of the PrEP drugs and especially tenofovir in his system. While they should normally have been adequate, they may not have been so if combined with the other two or three factors ..."

You are for some reason not understanding or you are deliberately  misrepresenting what is written in the article in hope to sway opinion to your vision of the future but way is clear is you prefer the drama of your doom and gloom scenarios and the bleak future you see for the gay men on the planet. to what end I'm unsure. 

what I do know for certain is that because of your 'fake news editorial' there will be people on this site that had considered taking PrEP before reading your nightmarish hysteria, that now will have reconsidered PrEP as a viable alternative HIV prevention strategy after having read your posts.

No preventative strategy is 100% effective - none.  you could chose never to have sex with anyone and still end up HIV +. we can only assess what option is best for us based on the level of risk we are comfortable in taking and the likelihood that the sexual activity we consent to may result in an HIV+ diagnosis. we do that by making an informed decision based on the best medical science available to us at the time. not conjecture or opinion or by painting doom and gloom/the sky is falling nightmare scenarios.

your editorizing only serves to fan the flames of ignorance and fear or worse leads to the same types of ill- or un-informed hysteria that dominates social media around preventative options for other diseases like measles or the flu. the last thing our community needs is the emergence of an anti-PrEP movement akin to the Anti-Vacination peddlers. 

either learn to read or stop editorializing things you don't understand. unless you were purposefully trying to sew the seeds of ignorance and doubt in which case - shut the hell up.

• Like 5

The Body has a listing of the PrEP failure cases.  Most of them are due to receiving a resistant strain, but in some cases, adherence was questionable.  I totally get that there is no 100% protection and never thought there was.  My question is, if these individuals were infected by strains that were drug resistant, you would think that there would be a lot more cases than the six reported globally. Why would that not be?

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, SoCalBBversbttm said:

My question is, if these individuals were infected by strains that were drug resistant, you would think that there would be a lot more cases than the six reported globally. Why would that not be?

The explanation offered by the medical establishment is that the mutations that make the virus drug-resistant also make it less "fit" (less able to survive outside the body, infect new hosts, and/or evade the immune system). Given the difficulty of measuring these different effects in complex biological systems, I don't know whether this has actually been studied in isolation, or (more likely) is just an explanation for what is observed in terms of transmission rates overall.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
On 1/14/2020 at 4:15 PM, viking8x6 said:

The explanation offered by the medical establishment is that the mutations that make the virus drug-resistant also make it less "fit" (less able to survive outside the body, infect new hosts, and/or evade the immune system). Given the difficulty of measuring these different effects in complex biological systems, I don't know whether this has actually been studied in isolation, or (more likely) is just an explanation for what is observed in terms of transmission rates overall.

This is my understanding as well (having read a number of reputable sources on the topic). There's something about Truvada-resistance that means that people don't stay Truvada-resistant for long. My guess is that the mutation isn't stable and it mutates to something else that's not Truvada-resistant. Or it's a weaker strain that loses out to non-Truvada-resistant strains when it encounters them.

The fact that Truvada-resistant strains are rare and/or weak is one of the reasons why Truvada was chosen for PrEP.

Now, as to the question about are we on the brink of another apocalypse… IMHO, yes, in so many ways. But it's not a uniquely gay thing. I really think kids today will see millions of people die in their lifetimes from the effects of climate change. All the evidence points to something close to a mass extinction of humans in the next few hundred  years.

As far as something like another AIDS crisis – I don't think it will be because PrEP fails. Antibiotic-resistant STDs are the most likely candidate for the next big thing since there are already cases of it happening. But what made HIV/AIDS unique was HIV's long incubation period. In other words HIV had spread widely by the time anyone realized it was happening in 1981. That's not the case with antibiotic-resistant STDs. People know about them pretty quickly. They affect a few people and can generally be isolated. So I'm guessing the worst case is a sex party with hundreds of guys, and a big majority of them die, as well as a big majority of the people they had sex with the days after the party. That's horrible, but it's hundreds of people, not thousands or millions. That said, yes, something completely new could appear (like HIV did). But worrying about that is living your life in fear – which is generally a really bad idea.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4