Can you donate blood if on PrEP?

BB4fking

Up until my early twenties I used to donate blood. It was satisfying to be public spirited. I stopped years ago as guy’s having sex with men were banned. However, now that I’m on PrEP it occurred to me that the basic reason for the ban, HIV transmission, doesn’t apply. Are we permitted again to give blood? (I’m not really sure I’d donate blood again as I find the blood flows pretty slowly these days even with my much smaller and frequent STI/HIV blood tests but it would be nice to know if I have the option.)

23 minutes ago, BB4fking said:

Up until my early twenties I used to donate blood. It was satisfying to be public spirited. I stopped years ago as guy’s having sex with men were banned. However, now that I’m on PrEP it occurred to me that the basic reason for the ban, HIV transmission, doesn’t apply. Are we permitted again to give blood? (I’m not really sure I’d donate blood again as I find the blood flows pretty slowly these days even with my much smaller and frequent STI/HIV blood tests but it would be nice to know if I have the option.)

Doesn’t matter. The rule still is you can’t donate if you’ve had sex with a man in the past 12 months. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I stopped giving blood when I became sexually active with men, but actually I’ll never give blood again now.

The last time I donated, I was told they would take my blood, but it wouldn’t be used for a patient. I was always practicing safe sex back then, and the fact that they didn’t want my blood purely because of my sexuality made me quite angry. I felt that I was being accused or judged, purely because of being bisexual.

I no longer feel quite as strongly, but I am firmly of the opinion that after all this time, if they really needed blood, they would have found a way to take it from us without discriminating. Therefore, I’m not bothered about it. Let the straights donate.

• Like 1

I haven't been able to donate blood for a different reason entirely.

I'm not on PrEP but I am on a prescription blood thinner due to atrial fibrillation. I wish I could donate blood though.

Edited by SolitaryMan

It depends on the country you are from but most have strict rules that if you are on medication they wont accept it.

If you want to go to have blood removed and dont care if its binned they may allow that I know some will say why would a person do that well it is healthy to have blood removed every few years people that do it feel a lot better it is even used by a lot of athletes which will do it as taking it when at peak performance and then putting it back in later on.

A lot of the blood taken via donations is sold anyway most developed nations don't use it.

• 11 months later...