Off PrEP and noticed changes

evilcoyote

I have stopped PrEP. My liver enzymes were highly elevated. As a precaution, I decided to stop PrEP while I work with the doctor to find out what is causing my enzymes to be high.

However, I've noticed some changes..

1. My sex drive is much higher now.

2. I am not fatigued. 

3. My eyesight has improved. 

4. I just feel better overall.

I think it's interesting these all have happened since stopping PrEP. I know fatigue and blurry vision are both side effects of PrEP.

I just wonder if anyone else who has stopped noticed any changes.

Makes me want to forego going back on.

• Upvote 1

• Moderators

I have taken it and later not taken it, and there were no noticeable differences for me. On the other hand, I take a pile of other meds (blood pressure and such). And my liver enzymes have never been elevated. I can certainly imagine that if the PrEP was causing your liver problems, and you stopped it and the problems started to resolve, that you would feel much better.

• Like 1

Guest Descartes70817

I'm no expert, but I have done what online research I can because being on ART has given me so many similar symptoms. It would appear that combining some types NRTI (ddl or didanosine) with high levels of tenofovir can cause liver damage, and for HIV+ people it can actually prevent CD4 cell replication, resulting in falling CD4 cell counts, both of which which would mean you can't absorb the nutrients from your food as well. Descovy uses a different formulation so it only uses about 10% of the tenofovir that Truvada uses, so in theory it shouldn't be so toxic to your liver - IF the FDA is ever allowed to approve it for PrEP.

Trouble is the only paper I can find on the subject was published in South Africa, and is about a 22 years old HIV+ female whose viral load was undetectable while her CD4 cell count kept on falling. Her doctor changed her treatment to eliminate the didanosine and reduce the amount of tenofovir, and her CD4 cell count has increased. The paper seems to have been published in 2006, so I don't know how relevant it is today.

The reason I looked into it is that I was experiencing exactly the same proble. Diagnosed HIV+ I'm March 2017 with a viral load at 104,000 ans CD4 cell count of 34, initially my viral load dropped to undetectable in about 6 months and my CD4 cell count increased to 381 after about 18 months, but started falling at the begining of this year and has kept falling ever since, until at my last test in November it was barely above 200. My doc just changed my meds from Triumeq to Symtuza, but I'll have to wait until February to see if anything has changed.

Edited by Descartes70817

2 hours ago, Descartes70817 said:

I'm no expert, but I have done what online research I can because being on ART has given me so many similar symptoms. It would appear that combining some types NRTI (ddl or didanosine) with high levels of tenofovir can cause liver damage, and for HIV+ people it can actually prevent CD4 cell replication, resulting in falling CD4 cell counts, both of which which would mean you can't absorb the nutrients from your food as well. Descovy uses a different formulation so it only uses about 10% of the tenofovir that Truvada uses, so in theory it shouldn't be so toxic to your liver - IF the FDA is ever allowed to approve it for PrEP.

Trouble is the only paper I can find on the subject was published in South Africa, and is about a 22 years old HIV+ female whose viral load was undetectable while her CD4 cell count kept on falling. Her doctor changed her treatment to eliminate the didanosine and reduce the amount of tenofovir, and her CD4 cell count has increased. The paper seems to have been published in 2006, so I don't know how relevant it is today.

The reason I looked into it is that I was experiencing exactly the same proble. Diagnosed HIV+ I'm March 2017 with a viral load at 104,000 ans CD4 cell count of 34, initially my viral load dropped to undetectable in about 6 months and my CD4 cell count increased to 381 after about 18 months, but started falling at the begining of this year and has kept falling ever since, until at my last test in November it was barely above 200. My doc just changed my meds from Triumeq to Symtuza, but I'll have to wait until February to see if anything has changed.

Descovy is now approved for Prep

3 hours ago, leatherpunk16 said:

Coyote, see what you can do about switching to Descovy. Might work out better for your overall health. Or, if it's something you really want, you can get bugged instead. 

I've debated not going on anything and just taking the risk. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I also stopped PrEP; one of the side effects I read about was injuries taking longer to heal.  I had a bad back injury and recovery had reached a plateau.  After stopping, I noticed I have far less lower back issues now (still have some thanks to family genetics), and no more digestive issues.  I am unsure whether I will restart Truvada or even Descovy for any sort of PrEP; will need to do some research & talk to my doctor.  Also not opposed to staying off everything and just taking the risk.