First timer in Gran Canaria

Spunkinmyarse

At the end of last year I went to GC, Maspalomas, for the first time. Found a cock hungry local on Scruff who was more than happy to show me around the dunes in return for a breeding, and I used the What3Words app to save exact locations for future visits. Also went to Zoo, huge fun despite arriving on a nude night (lacking body confidence here) and to timeoFF for an evening of ffun and games (mostly ffun). Going back in April!

20191220_171841.jpg

• 10 months later...

Good tips guys, thank you. I’m currently researching this in my optimism about going there in the late autumn this year.

One thing I’ve just read is that during the lockdown, the dunes managed to rejuvenate, and are now being policed as a nature reserve. Fines for straying from the path apparently.

[think before following links] https://thecanarynews.com/2020/05/22/you-can-now-be-fined-for-straying-from-the-paths-through-the-dunes-of-maspalomas/

2 hours ago, lamby1959 said:

Spunkinmyarse did you have to quarantine on your return? 

I managed to squeak my trip in last February, just before the whole world turned to shit- so it wasn’t an issue.

I loved it, but won’t book another trip until all the bars and clubs are fully back in action- if you take away the sex, then I think there are other places I’d rather go to for just sun, sea and sangria.

• Like 1

Are there any particular hotels/bungalows you’d recommend for sex? Are they like gay hotels in some cities, where guests will typically mingle and fuck each other? If there’s a hotel where the act of staying it means you’re available, I’m staying there! I see one has a small cruising area with a sling and St Andrew’s cross.

Or do people actually relax at their accommodation and stick to the clubs, bars and dunes for sex? I see you said something about this elsewhere but you were talking about anon. I’m talking guys feeling you up at the pool. 

Also are poppers easily available? Officially they’re not for sale in Spain, but I’d no issue getting them in the cruise bars in Sitges, you just had to ask.

Edited by subBottomKink

The hotel I am usually staying in is only 50% or so gay. But I have met guys at the pool and had some hotel room fun.

At Basement Studios as a day guest it has happend that guys were sucked around the pool. And it has also happened that guys were fucking on the sunbed next to me. But the crowd at Basement is usually mature. Sometimes very mature.

I don't know what happens at other gay resorts where they welcome day guests like Tropical La Zona etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/7/2021 at 2:47 AM, subBottomKink said:

Are there any particular hotels/bungalows you’d recommend for sex? Are they like gay hotels in some cities, where guests will typically mingle and fuck each other? If there’s a hotel where the act of staying it means you’re available, I’m staying there! I see one has a small cruising area with a sling and St Andrew’s cross.

Or do people actually relax at their accommodation and stick to the clubs, bars and dunes for sex? I see you said something about this elsewhere but you were talking about anon. I’m talking guys feeling you up at the pool. 

Also are poppers easily available? Officially they’re not for sale in Spain, but I’d no issue getting them in the cruise bars in Sitges, you just had to ask.

i went to GC a few years ago, you have to take poppers with you, not sold over there at all. 

22 minutes ago, neversayno2cock said:

i went to GC a few years ago, you have to take poppers with you, not sold over there at all. 

Yeah I suspected as much. It’s one thing getting them to the Spanish mainland and a whole other thing getting them to the Canaries I guess. I’ve always been slightly wary about taking them on planes though.

There are quite a lot of men only hotels (sometimes referred to as ‘resorts’) in Playa del Inglès and Maspalomas.  I stayed in one called “Seven” that styled itself as a spa and wellness centre, but really it’s just hotel.  A nice one, though, and I’d stay there again.  Yes, totally gay, but there wasn’t any overtly sexual activity around the pool or anything.  Sure, you could hook up with other guests if you wanted to, and if you looked on Grindr, there were several guys from the hotel on it too- but quite a few are couples just holidaying together, and probably only about 25-30 guests staying at any one time.  Maybe it’s a different story at some of the larger hotels, such as Axel Beach.

But as I said elsewhere, the overall impression I got in GC is that guys use their hotels primarily for rest and relaxation, and party elsewhere, although of course some guys will entertain guests in their rooms, particularly during the day when the bars and clubs are shut.  I’ve only been there once, however, and I’m sure other guys on here can give you a more informed answer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, subBottomKink said:

Yeah I suspected as much. It’s one thing getting them to the Spanish mainland and a whole other thing getting them to the Canaries I guess. I’ve always been slightly wary about taking them on planes though.

Oh, and the poppers thing- although I was able to get poppers in GC, it was difficult because they cannot legally be sold there.  There seemed to be only place I could get them, and it involved going into a shop that sold perfume and asking for Chanel No. 5.  I think next time I’ll take them with me- though I can never remember whether you have to put them in hold luggage or hand luggage...

• Thanks 1

I always travel with poppers to GC, Hold luggage, not hand luggage and my luggage has never been searched when arriving. And I have been there dozens of times. I always thought the sex shop in Yumbo sells poppers but I may be wrong.

While it is true a lot of guys are "saving" themselves for the nightlife and just relax during the day there are plenty who are looking to play during daytime. I used the Planeromeo site for hookups and if you log in during the day you get hit up all the time (depending on your profile of course...). Now, since Planetromeo disabled their "classic" version (in favor of their mobile version) I have used it a lot less. The functionality is no longer what it used to be (search filters etc.). I don't know about Grindr as I am not using that.

As for hotels. I have never heard of a gay hotel called 'Seven'. But like with all gay hotels, resorts and even gay friendly hotels with just a large gay clientele (but not 100% gay),  there's always the possibility to connect with "friends" around the pool. I know I have.

I always think guys from the US must be disappointed when coming to GC. I haven't been to gay resorts or hotels in the US but I always think hotel and resort accommodation is not up to the same level in GC as in the US. Places aren't as luxurious (some just pretty basic) unless you go to the really expensive hotels (and they don't tend to be gay). Playa del Ingles is sort of a run down place which could use an upgrade. But the sexual tension is high and plenty of horny guys around all year although the high season is in winter. I tend to avoid the family season in summer. But april/may and september and onwards (November is Scandinavian month) are usually good times to go. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you want poppers in GC, easier to just bring your own. Not legally available, but the sex shop ‘might’ have some available under the counter ... or you might be able to take your chances and buy from a dealer on Grindr.  Personally not worth the hassle.

I just bring them in hand luggage in the liquids bag, with other toiletries.  Airport security don’t examine the bag in detail, and anyway it’s a legal item. 

In relation the the dunes, they are cordoned off now. The ‘path’ from Rui to beach now has rope barriers.  Last week there was a park ranger re-directing people back onto the main path if they strayed. Not to say people still don’t go to the cruising area, but it’s more policed with staff and drones.

None of the sex bars (Bunker, Zoo etc) are currently open.  Accommodation venues are open, though very few tourists here at the moment. 

9 hours ago, NLbear said:

I always travel with poppers to GC, Hold luggage, not hand luggage and my luggage has never been searched when arriving. And I have been there dozens of times. I always thought the sex shop in Yumbo sells poppers but I may be wrong.

While it is true a lot of guys are "saving" themselves for the nightlife and just relax during the day there are plenty who are looking to play during daytime. I used the Planeromeo site for hookups and if you log in during the day you get hit up all the time (depending on your profile of course...). Now, since Planetromeo disabled their "classic" version (in favor of their mobile version) I have used it a lot less. The functionality is no longer what it used to be (search filters etc.). I don't know about Grindr as I am not using that.

As for hotels. I have never heard of a gay hotel called 'Seven'.

It’s really quite nice, @NLbear!  But yes, it seems to fly under the radar a bit- lots of guys who visit GC a lot have never heard of it, maybe because it’s a bit out of the way.  It’s near the golf course, sort of half way between the Yumbo and the lighthouse, about 25 minute walk from both.  When I was booking accommodation, I didn’t know what I was doing as I’d never been before, and I had no idea about the local ‘geography’. That’s the only reason I might choose a different hotel- I think next time I’d rather be closer to the Yumbo.

But as far as hotels go, I loved it- great rooms, great facilities, great café.  A real oasis of calm in an otherwise very hectic holiday.  I think I got a cheap deal, though- its regular rates looks kind of pricey.

[think before following links] https://mowhotels.com/en/gay-hotel-in-maspalomas/

• Like 2

Thanks @Spunkinmyarse. I couldn't see the rooms on that page (page not found) but it looks like a luxury hotel. I usually stay at Playa del Sol. While it is not a luxury hotel it is decent enough for me. Service is good, staff is friendly and the rooms are basic but good enough for me. It's an Aparthotel which means you have kitchen facilities in your room (in case you don't want to go out for dinner every single night). Good pool (with plenty of eye candy) and you can put a sunbed in their garden if you want some shade. Guests are a mix of -mostly- older scandinavian straight people and gay men at a 50/50% rate. But it is Adult Only so no kids under 16. And their back entrance opens behind the Hiperdino supermarket in Yumbo so you can't get any closer than that 😉 (probably explains the high % of gay men). You can literally crawl home after a night out lol.

More luxury is the Neptuno hotel which also is next to Yumbo. Also mixed and Adult Only but with a high % of gay men (got fucked there a few times by a British couple). And there are a few other hotels/apartments similar close to Yumbo as well but I haven't stayed there.

And of course there are the gay resorts but it's been years since I stayed in of any of them. It always seems better to just buy a day pass to spend a day there. 

• Like 1