Switching HIV meds to Biktarvy

Hey everyone.  I’m currently on Atripla and have been on it for about 10ish years.  No major side effects at all and I’ve been healthy and undetectable since I started meds in 2001 or 2002.  My last visit to the doc was with a new doc at the clinic and she suggested switching to a new drug called Biktarvy.  She said there’s no rush or need to but the Atripla can have bone density and liver/kidney issues which I’ve known about.  She suggested I do some research so I’ve done a bit of reading but there’s little info out there.  I thought this might be a good venue to get some real feedback from real people.

So who knows about Biktarvy?  Who’s on Biktarvy and what’s you’re experience been like?

Cheers!

I was reluctant to change from Atripla since it was effective and the only lasting side-effect I had were the vivid dream which, to me, were hilarious. (That, I'm going to miss.) But I knew that Atripla is damaging to take long term, and I'd been on it 6 years, so I figured it's better to find an alternative before I needed it. I've only been on Biktarvy for a little over a month now, so I can't say how effective it is, but so far I've had no side-effects. 

Both Atripla and Biktarvy are 3-drug combo medications and fall in the same class of drugs.  Both are supposed to be equally effective, however, Biktarvy is effective at a lower dose, so you have a smaller pill. The formulation of the drugs are supposed to be less damaging to the body, plus with the lower amount of drugs ingested per dose, it is easier for the body to process and you are better off long term.  Without the weird side-effects commonly associated with Atripla, you can take it any time of day, without restrictions.

Drugs effect everybody differently, but if you've had no problems using Atripla, you probably won't see a difference if you switch to Biktarvy other than gaining greater freedom over when and how to take it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Porthos

I was on Atripla for 10 years with no side effects and at the suggestion of my Doc I switched to Biktarvy a year ago....No side effects, no difference...Easy transition. One difference...the pill is much smaller

Been on it a few months. I notice Some stomach upset, I tend to get hot and start sweating outta no where. It also makes me drow sd y/ listless. but that only lasts a short time. 

Hasn't kept me undetectable like Genvoya did tho. 

I was on Altripla for 15 year before switching to Biktarvy due to some reduced kidney function. I've noticed two things about Biktarvy in the four months I've been taking it:  I'm often gassy (yuk) and I've had hair fall out of my head in clumps. Going to the doctor next week for a checkup and will talk with him about this. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2020 at 4:01 AM, ballerva said:

I'm often gassy (yuk) and I've had hair fall out of my head in clumps.

Me too. It caused some of the worst gas I’ve ever had. Additionally, the psychiatric side effects of this drug ultimately caused me to discontinue the drug prior to the end of the first month on it. I had night tremors that were exceptionally violent, and seemed to follow a progression of the  story line night after night. 

When it got to the point that I didn’t wanna get to sleep out of fear, I called my doctor to inform him that I have discontinued Biktarvy.

My doctor then switched me over to Symtuza. The is a wonder drug that works with no side effects. It is resilient enough to work with multiple HIV mutations. It still contains Descovy (just like Biktarvy) but replaces the main drug. Indeed, the dreams went away after this.

In my experience the integrase inhibitors such as what’s used in Biktarvy or Tivicay seem to be pretty psychoactive. 

I have such a massive viral reservoir it takes very little time to get me detectable again. I always have a random low level viral load such as 56, 92, 94. At one point my doctor wanted to take a stab at getting my Viral Load down to really be undetectable; added Tivicay to my regimen.  Pretty quickly the odd dreams came back. Nothing terrifying; definitely weird.

YMMV.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have been on Biktarvy since I was diagnosed HIV+ and haven't had any side effects from it. When I was tested first and not on meds yet, my CD4 was 616 and my VL was 174,000. After a month of being on Biktarvy my CD4 went up to 953, and my VL went down to 29! 

• Like 2

Guest RawCunt

Changed from atripla to biktarvy 6 or 7 months ago.

Had no issues with atripla, and have no issues with biktarvy.

It was only on the recommendation of the doctors saying that some people are developing kidney issues using atripla long term.

• 3 months later...
On 1/18/2020 at 6:05 PM, nvanguy1 said:

Hey everyone.  I’m currently on Atripla and have been on it for about 10ish years.  No major side effects at all and I’ve been healthy and undetectable since I started meds in 2001 or 2002.  My last visit to the doc was with a new doc at the clinic and she suggested switching to a new drug called Biktarvy.  She said there’s no rush or need to but the Atripla can have bone density and liver/kidney issues which I’ve known about.  She suggested I do some research so I’ve done a bit of reading but there’s little info out there.  I thought this might be a good venue to get some real feedback from real people.

So who knows about Biktarvy?  Who’s on Biktarvy and what’s you’re experience been like?

Cheers!

I was diagnosed poz in February and put onto Biktarvy. Told I was undetectable in June. So far no problem with taking it. Good luck and keep well 

Like others here, I was switched to Biktarvy (from Genvoya) because of kidney issues. My nephrologist mentioned (just yesterday, in fact) that Biktarvy is probably the best of the anti-retrovirals insofar as effects on kidney function goes.

And that can be important if you have any risk factors for kidney issues: high blood pressure, diabetes, smoking, etc. You wouldn't want to go to all the trouble of getting HIV under control only to have to submit to dialysis three times a week because your kidneys failed. And while HIV+ patients are not categorically ruled out as kidney transplant recipients, with the demand for donor kidneys outstripping the supply, that's not an option you can count on.

• Upvote 1