Steamworks - Lights Out Thursday

Guest Omnivore

I've been to SW Chicago a few times. The staff CAN be disrespectful, but who could expect to find nobility in such a place? That doesn't make it okay, but they know we can't take our business elsewhere. Mans Country is closed and gone, and the only other option is RAM (an adult bookstore). 

I once went into SW during Chicago Pride. It was late at night and I was totally knackered. When I was paying, I tried to show that the inflated fee was no big deal to me, and said "Whatever, I just want a place to lie low for the night and get a little rest." The attendant at the counter heard this, and thinking I just wanted a cheap motel, said "You're not getting in here tonight." I was a little dumbstruck. He pushed my photo ID back through the window opening and told me to hit the road. I was kinda stunned. First the rudeness, and second the presumption that I intended to sleep there and not fuck. I *might* have slept - I was certainly tired enough - and now I definitely had no place to go. Maybe I shouldn't have been so free and easy with the tongue, but still. That wasn't the end. While I stood a little frozen and dumbfounded, he served someone else. When he saw I was still here, he pointed toward the street and told me "It's not happening tonight. We don't cater to bums. Get out before I call the police for loitering." Not needing more stress and drama, I left. Was a long time before I went back.

Most of the experiences I've had were more positive. The staff is fairly helpful, but English is not their first language, so they don't understand things as clearly as we Westerners do. Part of the problem is a communication barrier. The other part is that they aren't obliged to show respect to you.

• Upvote 1

I love SW Chicago. I’ve been to various bathhouses around the US and this is by far my favorite. Huge. Clean. Nice. Well laid out and I’ve had some of the most fun here. 

I haven’t experienced rude staff beyond the norm, though I’m younger, white, good looking. Some customers are standoffish in the club, but it’s to be expected. 

There is no dark room here though and the “lights out” night is totally an exaggeration. Perhaps some areas are a bit darker than normal but if you didn’t tell me it was lights out night I wouldn’t have been able to tell it from any other night. Don’t go expecting a dark room atmosphere. It’s not that at all 

Here @Steamworks Toronto, the lights are down low for LIGHTS OUT. Definitely a touchy-feely, sensory experience in the darkrooms! A time to use fingers and hands and hard cocks and whole body to “feel” with. Thursdays do bring piggier guys to bareback with. Try it, you’ll fall in love!

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
On 2/15/2020 at 7:49 PM, Read1 said:

Here @Steamworks Toronto, the lights are down low for LIGHTS OUT. Definitely a touchy-feely, sensory experience in the darkrooms! A time to use fingers and hands and hard cocks and whole body to “feel” with. Thursdays do bring piggier guys to bareback with. Try it, you’ll fall in love!

I concur. Many a fun time.

I liked TO one better than Chi. Or may be just because I was younger.

• 1 month later...

despite my comment above, the several times I visited--some years ago--I had a great time. I know ownership changed a few years back, as a friend who had worked there many years, and who I am sure, was a steamroom fave, cause he was so nice and so funny, was let go, along with lots of other staff members. I have a feeling the new owner may have brought in some old buds. or in the alternative, does not really do much of a job interview and/or does little staff training/retraining and/or does not seem to care about patrons' complaints. yeah, they are the only baths in town. sad, though, that a few of the check in staff are allowed to be so rude.  hope this has changed.

• 2 weeks later...

Steamworks Chicago is great. Just like any other bathhouse, some nights are awesome and some are not.  It just depends upon the crowd that is there.  Lights Out is usually pretty busy, but some of my best experiences there happened on a Sunday night.  

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to all, 

In my opinion, the Thursday night Lights Out party had  lost its appeal several years ago.   The lights were not noticeably  dimmer  than on regular nights, and the novelty of the party had worn off.   I do think when it first started, it was a monthly, not a weekly party, which made it seem like more of an event.  And, I believe the lights were dimmer during the early days of the party too.  Oh well.   Steamworks is closed for now and likely remain so for the near future. 

chiilfuck