Prepping for PrEP

horndoggy

So I’ve been jumping through the hoops our Provincial government makes us go through to get subsidized PrEP, and everything looks good except the last lab took so long with my HIV test that I have to go get another one. The program requires a negative test no older than 14 days before approval, so a delay of a few days during the application process can reset the clock and require another test.

I’ve talked to my doctor about intermittent use since my episodes of celebrating my slutty cumdu.... er... “global seed vault” nature don’t happen too often, and he’s supportive of it, though he wants me to take it daily for the first 30 to make sure my kidneys can handle it.

For a diabetic my kidney function looks good, with good elimination and clearance, and just a slightly elevated ACR.

I’m looking forward to trying it out, just a bit nervous about side effects and interactions with my other medical conditions and medications. As I mention I’m diabetic - Type 2 - on various meds but no insulin. I have ADHD and am on enough stimulants to light up Caracas. Depression and SSRIs. High blood pressure and beta-blockers and ace-inhibitors. Etc, etc.

So I’m wondering if anyone else with a Mr Burns-level health challenges is or has been on PrEP, and how it impacted or didn’t impact their chronic health conditions.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking of going on prep, but my wife doesn't know I have sex with men. I always use protection, but I want to go to a gangbang and so I want to go on prep without her knowing. Is there a way to get it over the counter?

• Moderators

I’m diabetic - Type 2 - on various meds but no insulin. I have ADHD and am on enough stimulants to light up Caracas. Depression and SSRIs. High blood pressure and beta-blockers and ace-inhibitors. Etc, etc.

I feel your pain, though I'm not quite at the "Mr. Burns" level. I can match you on the depression and blood pressure meds, though, plus piles of NSAIDS (which are hard on kidneys) and sometimes pain meds. No problems whatsoever with PrEP, and I've been on it for several years. I have switched to intermittent use because alas I live in a somewhat rural area and don't get to be slutty on a regular basis.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2020 at 10:52 PM, fillmyholeftl said:

Truvada & Descovy have little to no interactions with other medications or conditions (except HepB) Good Luck 

That is not true it may not have reaction in that it will straight away send you to emergency room but it can long term cause organ damage etc depending on other medications being used.

I have seen cases of people just using over the counter medications like Ibuprofen and Truvada that started to have kidney/liver damage

Which type of Diabetes do you have original poster type 1 or 2?

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/12/2020 at 7:59 AM, mort said:

That is not true it may not have reaction in that it will straight away send you to emergency room but it can long term cause organ damage etc depending on other medications being used.

I have seen cases of people just using over the counter medications like Ibuprofen and Truvada that started to have kidney/liver damage

Which type of Diabetes do you have original poster type 1 or 2?

Type 2.

Definitely going to have to do some NSAIDS research. I’m prone to migraines (the beta blockers are meant to reduce them) and when one hits I immediately pop 600-800mg of ibuprofen. Can’t take imitrix, or Tylenol so that could be something I’ll need to watch.

On 3/10/2020 at 5:19 PM, chrisjoci said:

I'm thinking of going on prep, but my wife doesn't know I have sex with men. I always use protection, but I want to go to a gangbang and so I want to go on prep without her knowing. Is there a way to get it over the counter?

There are places where you can order it from overseas at a significant discount to North American prices, but I think you would still need to get a prescription and a legitimate doctor would want to check your kidney functionality and hiv status first.

If you are HIV positive, taking Truvada alone can interfere with your ability to fight the HIV later with more comprehensive antivirals.

If your kidneys can’t hack it, you could have some serious kidney issues - though I think most of them begin to return to normal after you stop taking it.

On 3/11/2020 at 6:25 AM, viking8x6 said:

I feel your pain, though I'm not quite at the "Mr. Burns" level. I can match you on the depression and blood pressure meds, though, plus piles of NSAIDS (which are hard on kidneys) and sometimes pain meds. No problems whatsoever with PrEP, and I've been on it for several years. I have switched to intermittent use because alas I live in a somewhat rural area and don't get to be slutty on a regular basis.

Great, thanks for your insight. I guess the only thing I’ll have to keep an eye on is my NSAIDS use. I have sciatica and am prone to migraines, and go through a large bottle of Costco Kirkland extra strength 400mg ibuprofen pretty quickly. 

2 hours ago, horndoggy said:

Type 2.

Definitely going to have to do some NSAIDS research. I’m prone to migraines (the beta blockers are meant to reduce them) and when one hits I immediately pop 600-800mg of ibuprofen. Can’t take imitrix, or Tylenol so that could be something I’ll need to watch.

Type 2 is curable so that is a good thing.

It sounds like you are being put on a lot of unnecessary medications this is very common now days I see a lot of my colleagues doing this especially in US/UK/EU

If you switch to eating correct diet you will solve your diabetes issue and i expect it will help with a lot of your other issues.

On 3/10/2020 at 7:19 PM, chrisjoci said:

I took it without my wife knowing.  I went to a LGBTQ clinic,  did the tests and picked it up from our local pharmacy.  That did worry me , as my wife got meds from there as well. I changed to another one close to my work. As long as she doesn't go on your health insurance and check your prescription shouldn't be a problem.  Lol, but if she does, better have a good excuse! It doesn't cost me anything

With the Gilead card and insurance.