Breaking News: Doxycycline After Sex Reduces STIs (DoxyPEP)

I do work in the medical field, and I also have taken doxy for acne/rosacea for about 4 years total. HOWEVER Before doxy my dermatologist and I tried a variety of topicals (Sollantra, Metrocream, and a few others) as well as various prescription and non-prescription washes…nothing helped keep it under control. Eventually she decided to try doxy (100mg capsule, twice a day) - and once it was under control, I gradually reduced the amount I take to the minimum effective dosage to keep my rosacea in check. I now take 1 (ONE) 50 mg once a day with breakfast - and since landing on this routine, for about 3 years now, i have not had a single STI. Not one. Not even a scare. The worst I’ve faced has been just couple hemorrhoids from overly aggressive and not very talented or intuitive tops (one gear, and only tool in their box was a hammer) or at least they didn’t have much experience bottoming themselves.  But seriously - I had no idea about the doxy being used as a sort of PrEP for other STI’s until about 6-8 months ago, but I gotta say ~ I’m an absolute believer.  I do take a probiotic and an iron supplement everyday to help counter the occasional GI issues but over all - no problem. And NO STI’S!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, JeremyFeist said:

Does anyone know how to talk to your doctor about this? Honestly if I could limit the risk of STIs even further (already on PrEP, got my Hep vaccines and Gardasil) it would really provide peace of mind.

The problem is that doctors are becoming very aware that overuse of antibiotics is what's giving rise to so many superbugs - strains of bacteria that simply don't respond to the antibiotics that used to kill them. As a result, doctors are legitimately concerned about writing prophylactic antibiotic prescriptions because they contribute to a bigger problem than guys who get gonorrhea on a regular basis because of having unprotected sex with lots of partners, and I suspect you'll find that doctors are pretty reluctant to write prescriptions for antibiotics to prevent, as opposed to treat, an infection.

Understand, I'm not judging people for doing that - there are times when I enjoy indulging that carnal side as well. But I think it's pretty damned selfish to want to protect myself against a common hazard of such activity at the expense of helping create new superbugs like MRSA. (And yes, I know MRSA didn't happen because of overuse of doxycycline specifically, but other superbugs have.) It's understandable to want to protect oneself, but I believe we have a responsibility to the community at large as well as ourselves.

• Like 1

Just an FYI, don't use expired Doxycycline. This is one of the medications that does not do well beyond its expiration date (especially in capsule form) and using expired Doxycycline has been linked to kidney damage. Although it is rare, people with Kidney disease are also at risk of developing life-threatening complications from use of Doxycycline.

• Like 1

Those of you who like the facts, this is (to my knowledge) the latest medical.

one thing that surprised me - doxy prep/pep caught 50% of gonorrhoea 

one thing that didn’t surprise me - they are recommending a 200g (prev 100g) dose daily.

one side effect to be aware of is that some people get blotching of the skin when in strong sunlight. 

as for talking to your doctor; err find one at your next sex party? Or look for any effectiveness studies in your are, or (as I do) buy it either online locally (Lloyds pharmacy  Uk) or overseas.

[think before following links] https://www.catie.ca/en/pif/fall-2020/prep-and-pep-sexually-transmitted-infections-what-do-we-know-about-doxycycline-strateg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Littlebill77 said:

one side effect to be aware of is that some people get blotching of the skin when in strong sunlight. 

I had forgotten to mention the photo sensitivity to your skin and the ability to sunburn easily. Thanks for adding that in there!

• Like 1

I will piggyback onto LittleBill and Close2MyBro…being a very fair skinned Irish/Norwegian, being on Doxy 2x a day has made me have to wear sunscreen all the time. However, as I carry it around with me all the time - it makes for great lube mixed with spit….Jus sayin!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2021 at 12:38 AM, JeremyFeist said:

Does anyone know how to talk to your doctor about this? Honestly if I could limit the risk of STIs even further (already on PrEP, got my Hep vaccines and Gardasil) it would really provide peace of mind.

While almost all doctors are open-minded and supportive about PrEP now, this is definitely not the case when it comes to prophylactic antibiotics.

In my experience, having a gay doctor (not just a gay-friendly one) helps. Why? Well, probably because, at least in my observation, so many gay male doctors have used prophylatic doxy themselves. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MusclePig said:

While almost all doctors are open-minded and supportive about PrEP now, this is definitely not the case when it comes to prophylactic antibiotics.

In my experience, having a gay doctor (not just a gay-friendly one) helps. Why? Well, probably because, at least in my observation, so many gay male doctors have used prophylatic doxy themselves. 

I have asked at the LGBT Center here in L.A and almost always the answer is no. Apparently it’s becoming a common question. You would think they might be able to. However I have heard from sex worker friends that you have a better chance saying you’re a sex worker. 

I had doxy prescribed by a dermatologist to help control / prevent my acne rosacea breakouts I used to get quite frequently. It’s been nice not having a splotchy face like a teenager in the midst of puberty…and when I learned about the proven benefits of doxy as a form of STI prep - well, talk about one hell of an unexpected yet absolutely 100% welcome & unanticipated bonus (especially for horny as fuck slutty raw bottoms like me 😉 hehe)99E43295-E536-492E-964D-D188EFC9458E.thumb.jpeg.aa41d51e0221e0e76ae85da77d2d1870.jpeg

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, goughow said:

Any tips for getting my doctor to prescribe doxycyline? I don’t have acne or anything.

Your profile says nothing about where you are, so, no, no tips. What you can get a doctor in Mexico to prescribe is likely very different from what you can get a doctor in the U.S. to do. Antibiotic resistance is a serious concern, and most doctors are understandably reluctant to prescribe antibiotics for non-existent, "potential" future infections. 

I have an open conversation with my doctor at each physical or check up about my sexual activity.  We agree when I need to be tested for stis hiv etc.  He knows I'm a bb top.  I've had chlamydia before.  I asked on one of my last visits if he'd give me prophy doxy and he asked why and I told him I've been fucking more guys because I was traveling for work and i'd just been more active.  He said he'd seen the studies on it but hadn't started doing that due to the antibiotic resistance concern - but he did give me the Rx and I filled it and I used it whenever I fucked.  I haven't had any stis since then...so may it worked or maybe the guys were just not carrying STIs when I bred them.  It doesn't hurt to ask your doctor and have the reference to the studies - they may be willing to consider it.  

• Upvote 1