Going off PrEP during lockdown

BB4fking

• Moderators

Almost all cases of Truvada resistant HIV occur when someone starts PrEP without being tested for HIV. When they are placed on correct therapy, then subsequently retested the Truvada resistance is gone. The mutation that causes Truvada resistance is not stable or robust. It tends to die out on it's own. 

Damn, we've been on lock down here in the SF Bay Area for the past month and I've continued to take my PrEP daily without even thinking about it. I have been on PrEP for over 4 years w/no side effects. My last hook-up w/a fuck bud was on the 19th of March. Since then I have only been bred by my neg live-in bf (who doesn't play around).  Horny as fuck (got 4 fuck date offers this afternoon alone on A4A) but can't hook up...my bf has medical issues that could put his life in jeopardy should he contract COVID.  I think I'll go off PrEP for the duration and give my body a rest...last dosage this morning!! Oink!!

I guess I've officially quit at this point.  At first I was sporadic just from being out of my usual routine and was forgetting it since it's the only Rx I take.  But after the first couple weeks of no sex - and realizing I wouldn't have any for a while - I consciously stopped the pills.  I've been in the Descovy trial for 2 years now (or is it 3?)  and they do way more blood work on me than usual at each visit.  Even though Descovy is approved now and the "trial phase" is over, the study keeps going on and they keep testing for another year or two.  I had pretty much assumed the usual quarterly office visit would be cancelled, but then I got a call last week saying my appointment this coming Wednesday is still ON.  I thought about starting to take it again to get it back in my system, but then I forgot again since I'm out of the habit.  I used to NEVER forget.  So at this point I've decided to stay off it and just be honest at the appointment.  They're trying to assess blood levels etc, so I'll just be honest and tell them when my last dose was (a few weeks ago), and they can test how much -if any - is still in my system.  I doubt they'll kick me out of the study at this point.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I stopped my PrEP about two weeks ago as I'm not engaging in sex.  But then last night I had a dream that was so realistic.   In it I had finally gotten this hot straight gay-curious friend to go to a bathhouse with me.  There were loads of guys there and all of a sudden, for the first time, I was getting hit on by guys who wanted to fuck me.  I was in heat.  And then I remembered I wasn't on PrEP.  I was in such a quandary as to what to do.  I remember that I was jerking cocks and sucking cocks.  But then sadly, or happily, the dream faded before I could remember anymore.  So I guess I'll never know if I remained "good" or ended up being fucked and bred.  😞

Like many of you, I've stopped taking my PrEP (Descovy) about a month ago, three weeks after last play with another friend who is also on PrEP. During a tele-visit with my doctor this week, she reiterated that there was no problem stopping it so as long as I made sure to resume adherence 7-days before I intend to resume sex with others. My 3-month subscription was still renewed. I'm still filling my prescription and intend to save it as a buffer. I go to a state clinic to receive Descovy for free with the Gilead Advancing Access program. At the beginning of the year there were major delays in renewing my insurance coverage and I couldn't fill the script for some time, leading to a lapse in daily adherence. That's why I'm taking this opportunity to get a month or two supply to keep just in case that happens again, or some other unforeseen COVID-19 problem develops in the coming months. It's also nice to be med-free across the board for a bit 🙂 

• Like 3

Going to keep taking it.  There are reports that those on HIV meds are seeing a much lower than average rate of Covid-19 infections despite known exposure.  This is entirely anecdotal and not based upon any scientific studies, just news reports.

The way I look at it - it might help and it can't hurt.  

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Deletemyaccount69
On 3/31/2020 at 1:14 PM, Cutedelicategay said:

I hope you guys understand the PREP protocol. 

Prep should be continued for 28 days after last breeding encounter. 

Also restarting Prep without a negative result will put you in a situation where your body will get resistant to Truvada in case you were to be positive. This will lead to more Truvada resistant strains. 

OMG....I hope you guys are seeking medical advice before stopping Prep otherwise you will ruin it for everyone. 

Event based dosing 

I said before that I totally quit after a couple weeks of sporadic use, then realizing I wasn't gonna have sex for a while.  But I'm in the clinical trial for descovy and assumed the quarterly appointment would be cancelled.  It wasn't.  I admitted to the doctor I had quit taking it about a month earlier, and I got chastised for it.  I told her that a "lot" of guys I know had quit due to not having sex, but the fact is that I'M in the clinical trial, and most people are not.  They are testing my blood levels, kidney function, bone density etc all the time, and it's continued even though Descovy is FDA approved as far as effectiveness.  I guess I should have realized I should keep taking it, but it didn't seem necessary.  Even though the rapid test they do every visit was neg, they told me to wait for the blood test (like when you first start prep) before I resumed taking the pills again.  I screwed up that time, but overall I was an EXCELLENT test subject.  I was usually 100% vers, but I turned myself into a total bottom slut for about 6 months when the study started.  I went nuts at sex parties, sex clubs, the bathhouse, cumunion taking all loads - weird and hot to see how my behavior changed when I didn't really know if I was "protected" or not.  I was on descovy the entire time and I definitely put it to the test - made me realize how much the risk turned me on!!  The study is now officially over in July this year.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, justsexnowatl said:

I said before that I totally quit after a couple weeks of sporadic use, then realizing I wasn't gonna have sex for a while.  But I'm in the clinical trial for descovy and assumed the quarterly appointment would be cancelled.  It wasn't.  I admitted to the doctor I had quit taking it about a month earlier, and I got chastised for it.  I told her that a "lot" of guys I know had quit due to not having sex, but the fact is that I'M in the clinical trial, and most people are not.  They are testing my blood levels, kidney function, bone density etc all the time, and it's continued even though Descovy is FDA approved as far as effectiveness.  I guess I should have realized I should keep taking it, but it didn't seem necessary.  Even though the rapid test they do every visit was neg, they told me to wait for the blood test (like when you first start prep) before I resumed taking the pills again.  I screwed up that time, but overall I was an EXCELLENT test subject.  I was usually 100% vers, but I turned myself into a total bottom slut for about 6 months when the study started.  I went nuts at sex parties, sex clubs, the bathhouse, cumunion taking all loads - weird and hot to see how my behavior changed when I didn't really know if I was "protected" or not.  I was on descovy the entire time and I definitely put it to the test - made me realize how much the risk turned me on!!  The study is now officially over in July this year.

I can relate so much with you on this buddy.  While I'm not in a clinical trial, I did have to go every 3 months for tests, questions, assessments, etc.  I too discontinued it mid March when I knew I wasn't going to be hooking up.  And, in my current insurance situation, it costs a fortune - insane.    I did have a pre-planned annual physical for this Friday but found out today it's been canceled for three months, due to COVID, office situation, etc.  Discussing suspending Descovy was on my "talk list" with my Doctor.  So thanks to you, now I think I'll email them and find out what I should do.  Social-separatation will (sadly and madly!) continue, but we don't want to fuck ourselve up... no pun intended.  Thanks again for sharing!

• 3 weeks later...

After exactly two months off PrEP, and celibate the whole time, I’ve restarted taking the daily pill. The local Aids Foundation kindly couriered me a free home HIV test kit so I could follow the proper protocol and unsurprisingly I was negative. Community transmission of Covid-19 has been eliminated where I live and both local gay saunas and my favourite cruise club have reopened although I haven’t yet been partly because I need to take PrEP for 7 days to get back to full protective strength. My partner wants me to wait until the final relaxation of controls before fucking around, which is probably less than 2 weeks away, so I can wait to preserve domestic harmony. Then I have some catching up to do ...

• 1 month later...