Is faggot a derogatory term or are gay men able to reclaim it?

Guest VanpozBB

Are gay men who describe themselves as faggots demeaning themselves and by association all proud gay men?  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Is faggot a demeaning word when used by gay men to describe themselves?

• Yes
    • No
    • It depends on circumstances
  2. 2. What age bracket are you?

• Under 25
    • 25 to 49
    • 50 and over

17 minutes ago, BootmanLA said:

It goes to demonstrate that "Covidiot" isn't the only kind of idiot out there.

Actually, faceload gave a perfectly good answer to the topic of the thread (in his first post anyway -- the follow up definitely got off topic). Pretty much everyone answered the topic as if the question was:  Is the word "faggot" derogatory, and do you like it?  In his answer, faceload basically says yes it's derogatory and then explains why he gets off on it. His reasoning does not have to be factual, and you don't have to like his answer any more than you have to like the word "faggot". Regardless, it's still a valid answer.

The word "faggot" has always been derogatory. It's not like the "N" word that is a bastardization of  another word. For that reason, it would be possible for the "N" word to be reclaimed to mean something synonymous to the original word. But faggot was always a slur. You can accept it, or discard it,

1 hour ago, funpozbottom said:

Actually, faceload gave a perfectly good answer to the topic of the thread (in his first post anyway -- the follow up definitely got off topic).

I was addressing the rest of his drivel, which followed in subsequent posts, about what's natural and so forth.

Regardless, I've also come to realize that there's an element of superiority in his responses - that those of us who know we're gay men are somehow disordered and "less than", and he, because he embraces the image of himself as disordered and sick, is superior to us un-enlightened folk. I call bullshit on that. 

On 4/24/2020 at 11:17 AM, drscorpio said:

I don't expect to talk you out of being a homophobic, self-hating faggot though, but please give the rest of us a break. 

You're the moderator, so I'll refrain from responding further on this topic. Anyone who is really curious can contact me privately. I genuinely don't want my offensive opinions to interrupt all of the self-loving spread of disease, drug addiction, and fantasizing about rape (my personal favorite). Let's keep the party going!

On 4/24/2020 at 4:52 PM, funpozbottom said:

Actually, faceload gave a perfectly good answer to the topic of the thread (in his first post anyway -- the follow up definitely got off topic). Pretty much everyone answered the topic as if the question was:  Is the word "faggot" derogatory, and do you like it?  In his answer, faceload basically says yes it's derogatory and then explains why he gets off on it. His reasoning does not have to be factual, and you don't have to like his answer any more than you have to like the word "faggot". Regardless, it's still a valid answer.

The word "faggot" has always been derogatory. It's not like the "N" word that is a bastardization of  another word. For that reason, it would be possible for the "N" word to be reclaimed to mean something synonymous to the original word. But faggot was always a slur. You can accept it, or discard it,

I knew this was coming lol. This is why, as a black man and being treated the way I have by some gays, I say it whenever, wherever I want. 

Guest JackEdJIZZ

i use faggot and queer to help others see me as i am.    I am very unique and do not line up with labels.  So telling people i am queer helps them see i am not a vanilla gay.

when i am fucked, i fill the role of a skilled focused partner.  Using faggot is more extreme and let other know i own that description with pride.

and one more area.  i do not have a pussy and i do not make love or have sex and do without rather than have a condom in me    I get fucked raw in the ass like a real queer should.

i have been queering though my life for over 5 decades.   i still want people to know that that the modern tv gay image does not align with the authentic nature of men fucking men.

On 4/24/2020 at 11:57 AM, tallslenderguy said:

i don't think the general meaning of the word changes with the user, but the intent or response does?  

To me, the general meaning of the word "faggot" is a bottom guy who adores, craves, needs, wants, etc. ad infinitum, a Man.  

i think there are some people who do not accept that there are faggots for all sorts of reasons, and they try to hurt faggots thinking they are 'bad.'  i believe there are some who have some faggot in them, who haven't come to a place of self acceptance and maybe hate their self vicariously by hating other faggots.  Then i think there are the faggot opposite: "Top, Dom, Man, breeder, penetrator, etc. ad infinitum" who recognizes and is attracted to a faggot as the natural connecting place for Who They are.  There seems to be infinite variations on those?

"Faggot," for me, is just an extreme label for who and how i am.  When i connect with an 'extreme' Top, being a "faggot" just means i am completely receptive of who He is and wanting/needing to be the compliment, receiver (lover) of Who and how He is.  To me, faggot is a term used to try and express a complete giving over, and the Tops use of faggot can be a recognition and affirmation of that facilitating the bond between Man and faggot.

Preach.  Though I have no issue or take offense to anyone calling me a faggot. I have completely embraced my depravity and endure to submit to men.   When wielded as an insult it is powerless, when wielded as an acknowledgement, it is a call to submission. But as everyone else pretty much said, it’s highly subjective.  

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

It takes me back to high school when I would hangout or be seen with a friends of mine who were gay. I was straight and because I hung out with them. I would get called fag, homo and gay . From that time I didn’t want to be gay. I had girlfriends during this time. Most of them used the same words about gay people. I got to suck my first cock after one of my gay friends wanted to show me. So when someone used those words it was used to hurt . I still hung out with my gay friends while I was living a straight lifestyle. I came out six years ago. I wish I had come out earlier as a homosexual. 

• Like 1

For me personally, it depends on context, audience, and intent. In a sexual scenario, being called "faggot" is something of a turn-on, as it really drives home my submissive nature in the bedroom (or restroom/park/alley/backseat/etc.) My straight roommate  and my best friend will both affectionately call me "faggot" sometimes, but I don't particularly mind. In essence, they have an "f-word pass"; it probably helps they both know if it came down to it, I could absolutely beat the ever-loving fuck out of them. 

However, a total stranger calling me faggot if their dick isn't in one of my holes? Now we have a problem. For example, the one and only time I ever heard the word in a situation that made me feel actually afraid was in high school, when three older kids were following me as I was walking home and said they "didn't believe in faggots, just dead faggots." Fortunately, someone recognized what was going on, pulled over, and gave me a ride home from there. 

To sum up, it really just depends.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I think the word is used so often in gay culture now that it really holds no weight anymore. Gay people have just owned the word and took it back. Some people may not like to use it but the majority of men I've dealt with or chatted with have no issue doing so.

• 2 weeks later...

If you’re calling me a faggot, your dick better be down my throat or pumping your cum deep into my boi-pussy. 

If not, keep your perjoratives to yourself. And why is it always the super closeted religious assholes in self denial that are the most homo/transphobic?! 

• 7 months later...

for me i like being verbally abused men who want or are using me for sex. as i have been called a faggot by men how grinder who want to fuck me, however in society being called a faggot is insulting and i was often called that in school as a very young teen. it was very humiliating, but now when it comes to sex i find it humiliating but yet enjoyable being called a faggot by the men who are or going to fuck me.

• 1 month later...