Joe Biden

drscorpio

The party of Obama had four long years to find a candidate who could defeat this incoherent orange carnival barker, and managed to settle on one that's just plain incoherent. There is no political consequence harsh enough to reward such cowardice, incompetence, and stupidity, except for the unthinkable. It's atrocious.

• Upvote 1

Guest takingdeepanal

Clinton will get the nomination from the floor of the DNC as a compromise candidate (and she STILL believes that they owe her).

To people who keep buying into the Trump campaign's bullshit that Biden is "incoherent" (when Trump himself can't make a single English sentence without assistance)  - or who pretend to, because they're secretly supporting the other side and want to sow division among Democrats - should look at the polls. Biden leads Trump not only nationally but in every swing state and in some states not traditionally regarded as swing states. Some on the left (and I'm a progressive, don't get me wrong) think the solution is to nominate someone far to the left, like Sanders, ignoring that while he'll excite a small portion of the Democratic base, it's the part of the base that turns out at the lowest rate, year in and year out. And meanwhile, that sort of candidate scares the pants off moderates in the suburbs - the people who swung the House back to the Democrats in 2018.

Did none of you notice that of the 41 seats that flipped from Republican to Democrat, not a single one was in the AOC/Sanders mold? Those candidates and representatives are great, don't get me wrong, but they're great for districts that have wide margins of progressive/liberal voters. Not so much for suburbs that for the last two decades have been trending Republican; those people DO turn out to vote, year after year, and the more of them we can keep on our side, the better our chances of winning not only the White House but the Senate.

Because without the Senate, NONE of Sanders' progressive ideas will ever see the light of day on that side of the Capitol. Nor would most of his judicial nominations. Think McConnell was cheeky for holding onto a Supreme Court seat for a year so Trump could fill it? Wait till he does that for four years with a Democratic president, for every single federal judgeship.

I get it - politics, for some people, is like sex, and they only like the very specific kind of sex (and politics) that get them off. The problem is that the choice here is going to be similar to sex that's OK, occasionally pretty good, but sometimes mediocre, for four years - or no sex at all. Moreover, if we have another four years of a Republican president and senate, god forbid, the federal judiciary will be so thoroughly hollowed out of liberal or even moderate voices in favor of young, long-lived extremists who'll see to it that Democratic presidents and Congresses are stymied for the next 30 years.

Biden is the best shot we have for avoiding that. Maybe that's a bad reflection on the Democratic party, I don't know - but anyone who thinks Trump is awful needs to vote for Biden and every other Democrat running for federal office in his area. Period. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, BootmanLA said:

To people who keep buying into the Trump campaign's bullshit that Biden is "incoherent" (when Trump himself can't make a single English sentence without assistance)  - or who pretend to, because they're secretly supporting the other side and want to sow division among Democrats - should look at the polls. Biden leads Trump not only nationally but in every swing state and in some states not traditionally regarded as swing states. Some on the left (and I'm a progressive, don't get me wrong) think the solution is to nominate someone far to the left, like Sanders, ignoring that while he'll excite a small portion of the Democratic base, it's the part of the base that turns out at the lowest rate, year in and year out. And meanwhile, that sort of candidate scares the pants off moderates in the suburbs - the people who swung the House back to the Democrats in 2018.

Did none of you notice that of the 41 seats that flipped from Republican to Democrat, not a single one was in the AOC/Sanders mold? Those candidates and representatives are great, don't get me wrong, but they're great for districts that have wide margins of progressive/liberal voters. Not so much for suburbs that for the last two decades have been trending Republican; those people DO turn out to vote, year after year, and the more of them we can keep on our side, the better our chances of winning not only the White House but the Senate.

Because without the Senate, NONE of Sanders' progressive ideas will ever see the light of day on that side of the Capitol. Nor would most of his judicial nominations. Think McConnell was cheeky for holding onto a Supreme Court seat for a year so Trump could fill it? Wait till he does that for four years with a Democratic president, for every single federal judgeship.

I get it - politics, for some people, is like sex, and they only like the very specific kind of sex (and politics) that get them off. The problem is that the choice here is going to be similar to sex that's OK, occasionally pretty good, but sometimes mediocre, for four years - or no sex at all. Moreover, if we have another four years of a Republican president and senate, god forbid, the federal judiciary will be so thoroughly hollowed out of liberal or even moderate voices in favor of young, long-lived extremists who'll see to it that Democratic presidents and Congresses are stymied for the next 30 years.

Biden is the best shot we have for avoiding that. Maybe that's a bad reflection on the Democratic party, I don't know - but anyone who thinks Trump is awful needs to vote for Biden and every other Democrat running for federal office in his area. Period. 

Well said.

• Like 1

To those who accuse Biden of being incoherent, here is our current president, this morning, answering the question as to whether he was still negative for the coronavirus:

"And I tested very positively in another sense. So this morning. I tested positively toward negative, right? So no, I tested perfectly this morning. Meaning I tested negative. But that's a way of saying it. Positively toward the negative."

Yeah, I'm not worried if Biden occasionally has to reach for the right word.

• Like 2

• Moderators
7 hours ago, FaceLoad said:

Biden's incoherence and Trump's incoherence are in no way mutually exclusive. But what do I know? After all, I "ain't black" and so can't appreciate Biden's superior logic and rhetorical skills.

That was a big, old shot to his own foot. 

12 hours ago, FaceLoad said:

Biden's incoherence and Trump's incoherence are in no way mutually exclusive. But what do I know? After all, I "ain't black" and so can't appreciate Biden's superior logic and rhetorical skills.

Biden also recognized his mistake, apologized genuinely and sensitively for it, and moved on. When was the last time you heard the Orange Turd even admit he isn't perfect, much less apologize for anything he's said? He's still pissed that he had to halfway walk back his "on both sides" crap from Charlottesville and has long since doubled-down on the sentiment.

As for Biden's comment: it was a graceless way of stating something very true at its core: no matter whether you're African-American or not, if you have to even stop to think, briefly, about whether to support Trump or Biden, then your life experiences are so out of sync with what virtually every other black person in America faces, you might as well be purple.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2020 at 9:00 PM, BootmanLA said:

Unfortunately McConnell is using covid and a smoke screen to push through in qualified judges. Unfortunately it already happening.

As a black Canadian. Biden's comment was crass and offensive. No white man has the right to comment on someone's blackness. I honestly do not believe that Biden is racist like how Trump is. However his comment highlights two problems, how pervasive and deep seated white privilege is in North American culture and he needs to stay on brand and message or he just makes himself looks like an Old Fool. All that being said I still do believe Biden is the best choice for the Presidency. He is a competent politician.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, FaceLoad said:

Millions of black people voted for Trump. Biden has had his (first) "deplorables" moment, months ahead of Clinton's exemplary schedule.

No, they didn't.

The total turnout in 2016 was about 132 million people, in round numbers. Of those, roughly 12% were black, or about 15.8 million. Trump got slightly less than 8% of that black vote, or just over 1 million votes. And that was before the last four years of stepping into stinking piles of shit, like his unforgivable comments about the "very fine people" who marched in Charlottesville waving Confederate and Nazi flags. But we'll see what happens come November. Trump may win - I doubt it, based on the panic you see coming out of their campaign - but it won't be because of any surge in the black vote.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FaceLoad said:

In the millions, on the order of millions, one million. They're all votes now much less likely to go to Biden.

There is ZERO evidence for this fantasy of yours. Did it cause some black voters to question supporting him? Almost certainly. Is he still likely to cause a significant drop in African-American votes for Mango Mussolini? Yes.

It's especially hysterical to see you waving the Trump banner when you claim to be so supportive of alpha males, when your candidate wears lifts, lies about his height and weight, whines like a baby incessantly about how badly he's treated, and throws Twitter temper tantrums whenever he gets cranky. The toddler-in-chief is the least adult male president we've ever had, and you sing his praises like a cuckold. Pitiful.