Reacting to posts

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Barebackbottomm said:

Ahhh I was gonna ask the same thing. How long does it take before you're not a new member anymore?

It's not time. It's the number of posts you have made, and the number that have been upvoted. rawTOP has not made the numbers public; I don't even know. 

Food for thought: I know I'm not privy to any of the calculations that went into figuring who could "react" to things, and how often.

But I will note that when I first join a new forum of any sort (hobbyist, professional, "personal life" such as this, etc.) I tend to prefer to "react" (like, dislike, upvote, whatever) stuff well before I feel comfortable responding publicly. I get that a place like this really needs people willing to post and comment and discuss, and I'm sure there are other considerations that go into who can do how much and how soon, but I think it's worth considering that some people may never feel comfortable posting because they could never interact on the less-involved basis first.

• Administrators
16 hours ago, Blacoe said:

This is really good to know, I'd initially thought it was time based rather than post based too!

There are actually 3 criteria. You have to meet all three thresholds to progress to the next level. I don't discuss how they work in order to prevent people from gaming the system.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, rawTOP said:

There are actually 3 criteria. You have to meet all three thresholds to progress to the next level. I don't discuss how they work in order to prevent people from gaming the system.

Thanks, rT, for all the efforts and hard work you put into maintaining this site.  I know how involved and time consuming it can be and truly appreciate your providing this forum for all of us to share,, connect and hopefully "meat".  Hope you're well, be safe!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2020 at 4:38 PM, rawTOP said:

Such a great thing. It only encourages me to use the forums, read, discuss, share, fantasize and dream about what we all love. So its a very good system!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 4/26/2020 at 9:38 AM, rawTOP said:

I take your point on that, but I'd (politely, I hope) suggest that there are almost certainly people who've figured out how to game the system to some degree. For instance: if the number of posts is a factor, the people who respond "So fucking hot!" to every chapter of every story posted in the fiction sections are racking up "post points" by contributing almost nothing to the system. And then the author of the post "likes" all those comments, which gives each of them whatever level of points for posting material that attracts likes.

Multiply that by the number of fiction sections on here - general, bug chasing, chem sex, trans, etc. - and the path to higher levels is a lot easier for, say, someone who doesn't really care about all those tales but is willing to pretend to do so for the points. At least, that's how it would appear from the outside. Maybe there are secret algorithms that somehow discount short postings like those. 

That's not to suggest I have a better idea, partly because I'm not privy to those inner workings (nor do I need to be). I'm just suggesting that the system isn't likely all that game-proof. 

• 3 weeks later...

@rawTOP I'd like to chime in on this. I've been on this forum for nearly seven years. It's true I mostly lurk, but I swear I used to "Upvote" and "Like" posts. Recently, I lost the ability to do that, which I thought was a glitch until, well, now.

First: this is your site. You control the vertical and the horizontal (and *that's* a dated reference!). So however you want to do it, you do it. Someday, when I am more comfortable posting here, I may. But until then, I did like having the ability to participate in the community, albeit in a limited way. It would be nice if the bar to giving someone a "Like" were lowered.

My two cents. 🙂

• 1 month later...
On 4/24/2020 at 5:39 PM, BootmanLA said:

Food for thought: I know I'm not privy to any of the calculations that went into figuring who could "react" to things, and how often.

But I will note that when I first join a new forum of any sort (hobbyist, professional, "personal life" such as this, etc.) I tend to prefer to "react" (like, dislike, upvote, whatever) stuff well before I feel comfortable responding publicly. I get that a place like this really needs people willing to post and comment and discuss, and I'm sure there are other considerations that go into who can do how much and how soon, but I think it's worth considering that some people may never feel comfortable posting because they could never interact on the less-involved basis first.

I would "like" this post, but I can't yet.  LOL  But I do agree with you, especially being new to a forum and just learning your way around, I tend to read and take in things first before responding.  So here's to my first response and to future "likes" on posts when I can!  😃

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...

I have been on this site since 2013 hardly a new member.  However previously I was not in a position were I could freely post or contribute and feel comfortable for many reasons.      I have wanted to like many posts but have never had the ability to do so.  I have just recently started to comment on threads.  

I realize it is the way the system was designed and set up and "it is what it is".  It would be nice if that way of ranking and response was reviewed and maybe updated.    

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.