Reacting to posts

I think I’m allowed to like and I feel so honoured, because I don’t say much on here.  But that also means, for those people who are impatient to be able to “like” posts, that you don’t have to go crazy with posts to get the ability to “like” stuff. Trust Raw Top and be patient is my advice; He knows what He’s doing. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/26/2020 at 9:38 AM, rawTOP said:

There are actually 3 criteria. You have to meet all three thresholds to progress to the next level. I don't discuss how they work in order to prevent people from gaming the system.

I totally understand preventing people from gaming the system, and I respect it. But is there something, and maybe I missed it somewhere, that says what levels can do what? I think I’m listed as “curious” right now, but what does that level grant me?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, mspanon13 said:

I totally understand preventing people from gaming the system, and I respect it. But is there something, and maybe I missed it somewhere, that says what levels can do what? I think I’m listed as “curious” right now, but what does that level grant me?

Moderator’s Note: The title “Curious” comes from a separate system based solely on your number of posts. It is explained here:

Currently, you are a New Member as well. That’s the system that was being talked about before. 

7 minutes ago, drscorpio said:

Moderator’s Note: The title “Curious” comes from a separate system based solely on your number of posts. It is explained here:

Currently, you are a New Member as well. That’s the system that was being talked about before. 

Got it. Thanks. 

On 4/24/2020 at 11:39 PM, BootmanLA said:

Food for thought: I know I'm not privy to any of the calculations that went into figuring who could "react" to things, and how often.

But I will note that when I first join a new forum of any sort (hobbyist, professional, "personal life" such as this, etc.) I tend to prefer to "react" (like, dislike, upvote, whatever) stuff well before I feel comfortable responding publicly. I get that a place like this really needs people willing to post and comment and discuss, and I'm sure there are other considerations that go into who can do how much and how soon, but I think it's worth considering that some people may never feel comfortable posting because they could never interact on the less-involved basis first.

Well said. Same here! 

• Administrators
On 4/24/2020 at 6:39 PM, BootmanLA said:

Food for thought: I know I'm not privy to any of the calculations that went into figuring who could "react" to things, and how often.

But I will note that when I first join a new forum of any sort (hobbyist, professional, "personal life" such as this, etc.) I tend to prefer to "react" (like, dislike, upvote, whatever) stuff well before I feel comfortable responding publicly. I get that a place like this really needs people willing to post and comment and discuss, and I'm sure there are other considerations that go into who can do how much and how soon, but I think it's worth considering that some people may never feel comfortable posting because they could never interact on the less-involved basis first.

I get that, but if someone comes on the site and starts posting a bunch of unwanted stuff the established members of the site can stop them dead in their tracks by downvoting the posts. That is one of the factors that determines whether you can progress to the next membership level. Basically, if you haven't proven yourself, you don't get to determine whether other people progress and get more abilities on the site. And the more we trust you, the bigger voice you get.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rawTOP said:

I get that, but if someone comes on the site and starts posting a bunch of unwanted stuff the established members of the site can stop them dead in their tracks by downvoting the posts. That is one of the factors that determines whether you can progress to the next membership level. Basically, if you haven't proven yourself, you don't get to determine whether other people progress and get more abilities on the site. And the more we trust you, the bigger voice you get.

At the risk of being accused of arse licking (though that is something I’m adept at...) I think you’ve devised a good system. I know it can be frustrating until one builds a reputation, but this is a unique site which has allowed me to discover that other guys share my passions. But it’s perfectly clear that, by its very nature, a site like this could be open to abuse without firm control. And because of that control I find the site probably the friendliest of all the sites I’m on. And for that, one has to applaud you and the moderators. 

• Like 2

On 4/24/2020 at 12:39 PM, BootmanLA said:

I feel the same. I've been a "new member" for years and still can't upvote anything. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.