Access to PrEP in UK during lockdown

concerned1

Hi everyone, I'm on the so-called "Impact Trial" here in the UK and I always get my PrEP from the Mortimer Market Centre clinic in central London , where I'm sure many of the other Brits on this website also get their PrEP. I go there every three months or so to get more PrEP, but about two weeks ago I ran out of PrEP, but when I went on the Mortimer Market Centre website I was unable to make an appointment for this due to the coronavirus pandemic. So great ....they decided to stop people from getting their PrEP and being monitored for STIs because of the lockdown?

What do I do? Do I just resort to the IWantPrEPNow website and order some from there? I don't see why I should have to when I'm on the Impact Trial and normally getting my PrEP for free. And what about PrEP being made available on the NHS? Isn't that supposed to be happening some time this year? I can't make an appointment with the clinic because they've stopped appointments , so what do I do? What's happening with those on the Impact Trial right now? I've had sex with two guys since I ran out of PrEP (bareback, of course!) so I have put myself at high risk and don't want to continue to do so.

I guess that the trials rational is that during lockdown people shouldn't be having sex with people they don't live with ?

I buy my prep from iwantprepnow , but have stopped taking it until the lockdown is over .

My local clinic is still testing (im going in on Monday for a blood test ) although all the lifestyle questions were taken in advance so that the time in clinic is as short as possible.

Good luck , I hope that you get sorted out shortly.

3 minutes ago, Davidc said:

I guess that the trials rational is that during lockdown people shouldn't be having sex with people they don't live with ?

I buy my prep from iwantprepnow , but have stopped taking it until the lockdown is over .

My local clinic is still testing (im going in on Monday for a blood test ) although all the lifestyle questions were taken in advance so that the time in clinic is as short as possible.

Good luck , I hope that you get sorted out shortly.

How long does it take you to get your PrEP from IWantPrEPNow ?

Yeah of course people shouldn't be having anon sex during lockdown, but people will still continue to do so if the urge is strong enough (as it has been with me). I know it's not right, but it's just reality. They shouldn't have stopped people being able to get PrEP from the Impact Trial.

IWantPrEPNow doesn’t supply PrEP directly: it’s simply a website which (among other things) lists online suppliers of PrEP.  Not all suppliers require a prescription, which is good if you’re having difficulty getting to an STI clinic at the moment. Prices and delivery times vary by supplier: mine usually takes about a week to get here.

I’m not on the impact trial, but as far as I’m aware, the trial ends sometime this year, anyway.  In fact, I got a strange text message from Dean Street this week about the impact trial, saying “No more drugs from mid-July.  Meds by post for a limited time only”.  I think the original plan was to co-ordinate the end of the impact trial with the introduction of free PrEP for everyone on the NHS starting in October, but like so much else, this plan has probably been severely impacted by the COVID crisis.

Anyway, you could always call the Dean Street clinic (if you can get through) to find out what’s going on- they’re usually an excellent source of information.  They also (in normal times) sell PrEP at a very reasonable price to those not on the trial: in fact, that’s where I bought my latest supply.  They would probably insist you have a test first, but by post: you’d have to order a ‘test-at-home’ kit, and do it that way.

Anyway, best if luck, and get back on PrEP ASAP!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, concerned1 said:

Hi everyone, I'm on the so-called "Impact Trial" here in the UK and I always get my PrEP from the Mortimer Market Centre clinic in central London , where I'm sure many of the other Brits on this website also get their PrEP. I go there every three months or so to get more PrEP, but about two weeks ago I ran out of PrEP, but when I went on the Mortimer Market Centre website I was unable to make an appointment for this due to the coronavirus pandemic. So great ....they decided to stop people from getting their PrEP and being monitored for STIs because of the lockdown?

What do I do? Do I just resort to the IWantPrEPNow website and order some from there? I don't see why I should have to when I'm on the Impact Trial and normally getting my PrEP for free. And what about PrEP being made available on the NHS? Isn't that supposed to be happening some time this year? I can't make an appointment with the clinic because they've stopped appointments , so what do I do? What's happening with those on the Impact Trial right now? I've had sex with two guys since I ran out of PrEP (bareback, of course!) so I have put myself at high risk and don't want to continue to do so.

As far as im aware you can still get it through Dean Street at the moment.  I would give them a call and explain.  Mortimer are still meant to be giving out prep during this period but you have to call them ( 020 3317 5252 ).  They are the only ones doing Prep in CNWL Trust at the moment due to IMPACT.  The MM/CNWL website says to call to arrange.   

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The Impact trial comes to an end very shorty. My clinic has been told they can only prescribe for the next couple of weeks so I am going to see them next week. However, they did say that during this appointment they will work out how to get further supplies to me after my supplies run out. I also understand that the plan was to have PrEP available through the NHS but this has been delayed due to C19. The following link gives the latest information. Good luck guys.

[think before following links] https://www.tht.org.uk/our-work/our-campaigns/make-prep-available

• 2 weeks later...

I’m on the U.K. prep trial. My local NHS clinic cancelled my last 3 monthly check . Instead I had a phone call with doctor. Home testing kits in the mail ( even though have had no sex since my last tests in March) she said as part of the trail had to have them done.  Also even though I still have most of my last prep medication given, she has organised another 3 mths worth for me to pick up from the door of the clinic. She advised she was doing this as still not sure what the process will be once the trial ends, but she understands that my local authority hope to continue with basically every 3 mth checks and prep med through them. I guess each NHS authority may do it differently.