Urinary tract infection from topping bareback?

Wondering if this is a common issue?

In days/weeks after fucking guys bare, I have had what I thought was a STD, burning sensation while pissing, discharge etc. STD tests didn't show up anything other than confirm inflammation, so clinics were reluctant to give antibiotics, and I have been left to sort it out by myself. This has happened a few times, in fact out of line with the frequency of my bare fucking, which is moderate. Only once I was prescribed nitrofurantoin, which is used for cystitis in women, and it worked very quickly. The next time it happened I got myself an over-the-counter cystitis treatment (again for women) and it worked too. 

That makes me think what I am getting are urinary tract infections, not STDs. It wouldn't be absurd, fucking guys up the arse. However there is very little routine support for UTIs in men, for example you can't buy nitrofurantoin from the UK online pharmacies - only women can. Of course you could pretend to be a woman, but obtaining medication under false pretences is technically punishable by law. Doctors also freak out at male UTIs as they can be indicators of other problems like prostate etc so it's a messy thing to deal with. 

Have other tops had this issue?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, talltop said:

Wondering if this is a common issue?

In days/weeks after fucking guys bare, I have had what I thought was a STD, burning sensation while pissing, discharge etc. STD tests didn't show up anything other than confirm inflammation, so clinics were reluctant to give antibiotics, and I have been left to sort it out by myself. This has happened a few times, in fact out of line with the frequency of my bare fucking, which is moderate. Only once I was prescribed nitrofurantoin, which is used for cystitis in women, and it worked very quickly. The next time it happened I got myself an over-the-counter cystitis treatment (again for women) and it worked too. 

That makes me think what I am getting are urinary tract infections, not STDs. It wouldn't be absurd, fucking guys up the arse. However there is very little routine support for UTIs in men, for example you can't buy nitrofurantoin from the UK online pharmacies - only women can. Of course you could pretend to be a woman, but obtaining medication under false pretences is technically punishable by law. Doctors also freak out at male UTIs as they can be indicators of other problems like prostate etc so it's a messy thing to deal with. 

Have other tops had this issue?

Yes.  I was sure I had gono (though no discharge).  Tested neg at the sexual health clinic.  When I got the results, I told the nurse it was still uncomfortable to piss.  She sent me to a general clinic where they tested me, found a high number of white blood cells in my piss and called it an unidentified UTI.  A round of antibiotics took care of it--but I don't remember what they were.

• Like 1

It's a real thing. I've had a few, or thought I did, but it turns out I have strictures in my dink. Came from untreated gono. 

However, a UTI is very like an STD in the way that it CAN be sexually transmitted. If you have the infection, and fuck someone while it is untreated, they will get it also. Makes sense since the sperm passes through the same area as the urine. Not a direct line, of course, but same opening. 

• Like 1

Over the last couple of years have had several uti's mine usually end up in difficulty urinating, not had the burning situation. I have a meatotomy and sub incision which I think makes it easier to get. One of the uti I got was streptococcus veridians which is found in the mouth--so must got it from a blow job. Anti biotics takes care of them the doc never seems to question or care--just give a sample, get a script and wait for the culture to come back.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Yes, I've had this a couple of times. "Non-Specific Urethritis" I think is the official diagnosis - it can be just normal skin bacteria that aren't supposed to be in there. Antibiotics do work. More recently, I have started taking a urinary tract disinfectant (over-the-counter at the drugstore, look for the active ingredient "methenamine" or "hexamethylenetetramine") before and after I indulge in a lot of topping play, especially anonymously (I don't generally bother with friends whose health and cleanliness I trust). Seems to work OK. YMMV.

• Like 2

I've had UTI's from receiving oral sex and from anal sex. It's one of those things that can happen. I have a friend of mine who's a doctor and he told me that's why it's always important to urinate after sex, as it helps clean the urethra out. I used to be guilty of zipping up and going home without urinating but after I started urinating again after sex I  haven't had one since.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Close2MyBro said:

I've had UTI's from receiving oral sex and from anal sex. It's one of those things that can happen. I have a friend of mine who's a doctor and he told me that's why it's always important to urinate after sex, as it helps clean the urethra out. I used to be guilty of zipping up and going home without urinating but after I started urinating again after sex I  haven't had one since.

That's very good advice! Thanks!

On 6/4/2020 at 2:17 PM, leatherpunk16 said:However, a UTI is very like an STD in the way that it CAN be sexually transmitted. If you have the infection, and fuck someone while it is untreated, they will get it also. Makes sense since the sperm passes through the same area as the urine. Not a direct line, of course, but same opening. 

Is that true? I understand these UTI come from bacteria that are naturally found in the arse. If you catch one as a top, it’s not because the bottom had something. So equally I’m not sure you can pass it on to another bottom. Similarly, cystitis in women is not transmissible.

The confusion might be because the term UTI is rather generic and may be also used for STDs that it hasn’t been possible to diagnose. But that’s not what my original post was about. 

On 6/4/2020 at 9:25 PM, Close2MyBro said:

It is also a good idea while urinating after sex to interrupt the flow several times by squeezing then releasing urethra. This helps clean it out.

Edited by lower_bucks_bottom
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1