HIV rebounds quickly in semen

Of study participants who stopped PrEP, 8/10 regained the power to infect others within 2 weeks. The other 2/10 became infectious within 4 weeks.

Article link:

[think before following links] https://www.poz.com/article/hiv-rebounds-quickly-semen-treatment-break-vaccine-trial

Study link:

[think before following links] https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30325777/

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, georgiega said:

I’m confused . If you’re on Prep and presumably negative, how do you regain the ability to. infect others, unless I am missing something?

I was just gonna ask the same thing. I guess he means Truvada as treatment for HIV positive people rather than as PrEP for negative people?

• Upvote 1

Truvada is HIV treatment, is a combo of two medications called transcriptase inhibitors which. if a negative person takes it. it essentially stops the virus from replicating it self (RNA) and for lack of better terms fills in the DNA strands it tries to take over in a infected person. 

If you read the actual journal article, as opposed to the summary that nogiftwrap wrote on his own, you'll see PrEP isn't mentioned; the article is about HIV+ individuals who were undetectable ceasing treatment for a period of time. It has literally nothing to do with PrEP.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Guest ukcumpig

Read the articles and as whore bottom I'm delighted to read that guys who come off their meds are once again viral so quickly...my slut fuckhole is twitching at the thought!!

5 hours ago, cagedclit1 said:

It has a lot to do with prep actually it has to do with the fact of when you stop taking treatment how long it takes for your body to produce the viral load

@cagedclit1 in what way do you think that this articles conclusions has any relationship to PrEP?

• Upvote 1

PrEP - “Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis” works to prevent HIV infection in HIV Negative individuals. Includes two commonly used HIV Medications - either Tenofovir Disoproxil Fumarate and Emtricitabine (Truvada) or Tenofovir Alafenamide and Emtricitabine (Descovy).

While the “PrEP” regimens (Truvada or Descovy) are commonly used In daily HIV Treatment, they alone are ineffective at controlling HIV infection. They must be paired up with an additional drug (1 or more).

Since there’s no chance of preventing HIV infection in “Persons living with HIV” (PLWHs) we don’t use the term “PrEP.” 

Therefore, The interchangeable terms used for HIV Treatment are:

HAART - Highly Active Antiretroviral Therapy

or

ART - Antiretroviral Therapy 

Someone adherent to taking their HAART or ART Daily and have obtained an “undetectable” viral load in blood would be considered to be practicing “Treatment as Prevention” or “TasP.” 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, cagedclit1 said:

It has a lot to do with prep actually it has to do with the fact of when you stop taking treatment how long it takes for your body to produce the viral load

No, it does not.

PrEP stands for "Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis" and ONLY applies to medication taken by HIV-NEGATIVE people to prevent infection with HIV.

This study was about people ALREADY infected with HIV, who BY DEFINITION are not on PrEP - they are on ART (which stands for Anti-Retroviral Therapy). These are two different things, even if they may use some of the same medications. The study looked to show what would happen to the viral load of a person who was already HIV-positive (ie, NOT on PrEP) who stopped using ART.

I realize some ill-informed people assume "PrEP" refers to any and all HIV medication but that is absolutely wrong.

• Upvote 2

Guest SecretCumWhore
13 hours ago, R86 said:

PrEP - “Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis” works to prevent HIV infection in HIV Negative individuals. Includes two commonly used HIV Medications - either Tenofovir Disoproxil Fumarate and Emtricitabine (Truvada) or Tenofovir Alafenamide and Emtricitabine (Descovy).

While the “PrEP” regimens (Truvada or Descovy) are commonly used In daily HIV Treatment, they alone are ineffective at controlling HIV infection. They must be paired up with an additional drug (1 or more).

Since there’s no chance of preventing HIV infection in “Persons living with HIV” (PLWHs) we don’t use the term “PrEP.” 

Therefore, The interchangeable terms used for HIV Treatment are:

HAART - Highly Active Antiretroviral Therapy

or

ART - Antiretroviral Therapy 

Someone adherent to taking their HAART or ART Daily and have obtained an “undetectable” viral load in blood would be considered to be practicing “Treatment as Prevention” or “TasP.” 

Thank you for the breakdown. ❤️

1 minute ago, Bttmboy9024 said:

So I missed my prep for the past 2 weeks. I just started up again. How much can it affect my chances of staying negative? 

Significantly. But if you stay on it, within a few weeks you should be protected again. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, BootmanLA said:

Significantly. But if you stay on it, within a few weeks you should be protected again. 

Cool. I’ve been on it for a few years now. Only missed a dose ever 5-6 months, but this has been the longest I’ve gone with out it. Im trying to get ready for when the fun spots open up lol. 

• Upvote 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Bttmboy9024 said:

Cool. I’ve been on it for a few years now. Only missed a dose ever 5-6 months, but this has been the longest I’ve gone with out it. Im trying to get ready for when the fun spots open up lol. 

If you have been celibate, the only issue is you need to be back on it several days before you fuck for the first time. US recommendations is 7 days. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1