Trump Administration Removes Health Care Protections for Transgender Persons

11bi11guy

Guest hungandmean

As I have learned, on here, time and time again - the majority of the cis white gays absolutely give less than zero shits about trans people.

Prepare for some asshole to comment about religious freedom and how Trump is MAGAing the shit out of stuff. Taxes. 

You're setting yourself up for disappointment here. White cis gat dudes do not give a flying fuck about trans people. 

To be fair, I think most white cis gay men are supportive "in general" and "in concept" of trans people, but many - I'm not going to attempt to quantify it beyond that - aren't willing to go out on a limb and protest to support them.

But all the Trumpanzees need to understand that Trump's people are picking off the most vulnerable, those who have the least support in society, just as they focused on illegal immigrants who committed violent crimes, even though their actual policies swept up a lot more people than that. They go after the people who have the least support because once they're out of the way, the hard-core rightists make up a bigger share of the overall population. And after enough rounds of "First they came for...." the people who were counting on their cis privilege or white privilege or male privilege to protect them will find that without the support of all the other silenced groups, there's no one left to stand up for them when the time comes.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

On 6/13/2020 at 6:42 AM, hungandmean said:

As I have learned, on here, time and time again - the majority of the cis white gays absolutely give less than zero shits about trans people.

Prepare for some asshole to comment about religious freedom and how Trump is MAGAing the shit out of stuff. Taxes. 

You're setting yourself up for disappointment here. White cis gat dudes do not give a flying fuck about trans people. 

I think it's true to say that the majority of cisgender gay white men have very little understanding of the transgender experience. My position has always been that if I expect straight folk to show up to support my full humanity and rights, then trans folk (black folk, etc.) should be able to expect no less of me. I worked on reducing my ignorance, increasing my understanding and spent several years fighting to expand my employers transgender healthcare benefits and improve their accessibility. We were ultimately successful, but there is always so much more to do.

That's why I've been watching all the current administration's roll-backs of Obama-era LGBT protections closely, and with mounting frustration. Transpeople are the most vulnerable in the LGBT community and transpeople of color especially so. 

We all need to take time to learn, understand, and help groups who have been "othered" by society. Trans people and people of color are top of mind for me right now.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, MykBruce said:

health care should be free.    Or cheap enought so everybody can get attention.  that's it. 

Even if this were the case, the policy change would still be an issue. It doesnt matter if care is free or effectively so as long as providers are free to deny you care if you're trans (or gay, or black, or whatever). And that's what Mango Mussolini has done to trans people with this rule change.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Guest takingdeepanal
On 6/13/2020 at 1:44 PM, 11bi11guy said:

Discuss.

Can you please provide a link. This is so that I can educate myself - and not start a fight with anyone here.

It's always one step forward and then 10 steps back with these clowns.. I know it ruffles some feathers but until you experience not being able to get real health care for several years in a row and then have to walk away from a 120K a year job like I eventually had to do recently because of health reasons. With no help to remedy health issues for so long, you do not understand what BS like this does to people who are trying to make an honest living and get by like most everyone else... Discrimination and hate are a very real thing right now and it seems to get worse by the hour with no one even trying to fix anything! 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

On 6/14/2020 at 11:40 AM, BootmanLA said:

It doesnt matter if care is free or effectively so as long as providers are free to deny you care if you're trans (or gay, or black, or whatever). And that's what Mango Mussolini has done to trans people with this rule change.

This is where you lost me.  The doctors are the one deciding on procedure... not administrarives...    Doctor have an oath to bring care to people... not admin.  

1 hour ago, MykBruce said:

This is where you lost me.  The doctors are the one deciding on procedure... not administrarives...    Doctor have an oath to bring care to people... not admin.  

That's not always accurate.

For instance: a doctor might believe that, in the best interest of his patient, an abortion is necessary to protect the health of a pregnant patient. But if that doctor is working as a staff physician (say, an ER doctor) in a Catholic hospital, the hospital can (and almost always does) forbid the procedure from taking place.

Additionally: doctors may take an oath for the practice of medicine, but that doesn't mean (under the law) that they can't discriminate against gay or trans patients, and it doesn't mean (under the law) that those discriminated-against patients can get damages if those doctors (or nurses, or any other health care provider) discriminates against the patient.

And that's my point: making the care free (which would take insurers out of the loop) doesn't change *provider* discrimination, which can and does occur.

• Like 1