Hiding certain forums

I note that some of the forums have a pinned note that says something like "if you're in recovery and don't want to see this, let me know". So I gather it must be technically possible to mask forums from a user's view. 

When I scroll through the recent activity to catch up on what's been going on here, there are certain things that appear that can *really* dampen my mood. 

Would it be possible to opt out of the politics forum and straight forums?

I'm just here for the m4m bareback deviancy - thanks. 

Andy

• Upvote 1

• Moderators

When I scroll through the recent activity...

One thing you *can* do is set up a custom feed that only shows some of the recent activity. I did this for my own use with a selection of about 6 threads that I like to catch up on more regularly. My purpose was that if another thread in the same section gets updated more recently, I won't see that these ones are updated without looking - and it's much more convenient to have them all in one place. It's much easier if you "follow" the threads or topics.

To set it up, pull down from the Activity menu at the top of the main page. Then pick "My Activity Streams" and you get a sub-menu including a bunch of convenient pre-set options, but also you can create a new stream, which opens up a form that lets you define what you want to show up there and then save it.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DarkroomTaker said:

My follow threads just keep disapearing. I find them, save, wank  and again after a day they disapear again. I thoughtnit was because I had alot in follow, so I kept down to 5, 3 have disapeared again, but I guess the thrill is in the find..

Same problem here. I used to have at least 20 pages of posts I was following (between commenting, following stories, or posting my own), but now it stays at 5 pages and keeps deleting as I add new things to follow.

• Thanks 1

"I do not want to have to see [or read] certain things!"

Sounds like a snowflake problem to me --- & here's a couple solutions:

If there are certain things you do not want to see [or read], Then Do Not Look At Them.

Another solution would be for you to create your own personal website where none of the content was threatening, or offensive, or disruptive to your psyche.

Another solution would be for you to grow a pair, although it may already be too late for that.

The world is full of "triggers," every minute of every day, & those "triggers" are not going to go away.  Deal with it.

• Administrators

@dirtyarizona – your comments were at the edge of what's allowed here. Please state your case a bit more politely in the future.

So to answer the original question… What I do for chem sex is not easily done. It's a special case. I can't feasibly do it for every combination of personal preference.

But dirtyarizona is right (even if he's a bit harsh in how he puts it)… The world is full of things that may offend you. Hell, some people are offended by the mere existence of gay people. So that same tolerance that you demand of others in putting up with your existence, is demanded of you here on this site.

That said, I totally get it. It's the reason why we're so strict about people putting certain content in designated places. The idea is go to sections of the forum that are what you're interested in and you should only see stuff that are of interest to you. The general activity feed is NOT that place. If you see something that doesn't belong in a particular section, use the "report" function under the post to let us know and a moderator will take care of it.

But even within a fetish there are sub-fetishes and related fetishes. I'm struggling right now with how to deal with PozPigs.com. The original idea was a hookup site made up of poz guys and poz-friendly neg guys where the neg guys could only interact with poz guys, not other neg guys. But I'm realizing that a lot of the interest in the site is coming from guys who are generally into STDs and staying off meds and advancing to AIDS. IMHO general STD fetish and staying off meds indefinitely is a level of self-harm that I'm not OK with. They can do what they want with their bodies, but that's totally NOT what I want the site to be about. So I now have to figure out how to not let those guys alienate the guys I want on the site.

Bottom line – don't use the general updates feed. Browse the sections of the site that best match your interests.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your input, guys: There may be some misunderstanding as I didn't say I was offended by anything or anyone. And I'm not. Perhaps I could have have worded my query more clearly... Anyway:

My thinking was that if the software had a feature to hide certain forums, it may be useful to hide those that are not of interested in from the "unread content" feed. Turns out this is not necessary:

On 6/15/2020 at 8:04 PM, viking8x6 said:

One thing you *can* do is set up a custom feed that only shows some of the recent activity. I did this for my own use with a selection of about 6 threads that I like to catch up on more regularly. My purpose was that if another thread in the same section gets updated more recently, I won't see that these ones are updated without looking - and it's much more convenient to have them all in one place. It's much easier if you "follow" the threads or topics.

To set it up, pull down from the Activity menu at the top of the main page. Then pick "My Activity Streams" and you get a sub-menu including a bunch of convenient pre-set options, but also you can create a new stream, which opens up a form that lets you define what you want to show up there and then save it.

Thank you @viking8x6 for a practical solution, I hadn't realised you can set up your own activity streams. That's a nice feature. 

I am grateful that @RawTop and the moderators who endeavour to keep the right content in designated places. This enables us to choose what content we want to see. I liked the "unread content" feed as a way to quickly catch up - but it is a firehose of *all* the content. The solution suggested by @viking8x6 enables us to choose - and as @dirtyarizona suggests: "If there are certain things you do not want to see [or read], Then Do Not Look At Them."

• Like 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.