Getting Prep, almost there

Hi everyone, I joined recently after lurking the forum for a while.

I'm basically a few days away from finally getting Prep and I have a question for you all: I need to take a rectal swab along with other tests (blood and urine for the kidney function I've been told), however I just realized I'm not sure how to approach this swab thing. I imagine I'll have to show up freshly douched, is this correct? Sorry if it sounds like a dumb question.

Anything else I should know? I'm dying of embarrassment at the idea of doing this procedure but what can you do about it, right? I've been waiting for Prep to be finally available in my country for years and I can definitely take one more thing up my butt if I have to.

Thanks for your answers.

I just had this done last Thursday and got my Descovy prescription the next day. I didn't douche but did scrub my butthole with a bar of soap and rinsed really well. I had a solid bm that morning so wasn't worried about a brown swab. Dr's see everything so don't worry about it.  I had 7 vials of blood drawn today for HIV, the heps and syphlis and a piss sample. My doctor got me on the drugs before the results were in as she knows my history-monogomous until we met a dream neighbor with a big thick dick.  

33 minutes ago, bluewind said:

Thanks a lot for your answer, you're right, doctors have seen everything and I'm probably worrying too much.

The one taking the swab, could be the doctor or a nurse, probably does this test many times a day and doesn't even think twice about it. i understand the embarrassment though.  i'm a nurse and work at a hospital. my doctor also works at the hospital, so i know and work with him. i get checked for STD's routinely and he always does the swab. He's completely professional, but it's still embarrassing for me. Still, better than running around with and spreading a disease you don't know have. For me, getting checked routinely is just a part of my sex life.

• Like 2

Funny thing, all the gay buddies I asked pretty much answered "so NOW you worry about getting something up your ass?" 😃 

I'll just have to get used to it, it's the price to pay for taking loads.

28 minutes ago, john54476 said:

not had this done but guys I know who have tell me its around your hole that they swab, not in it

How to Collect a Rectal Swab

Gonorrhea and chlamydia often occur simultaneously because the risk factors are very similar. Patients who are suspected of having one of these sexually transmitted bacterial infections are usually tested for the other as well.

Insert a sterile swab approximately 2.5 cm into the anal canal

Move swab from side to side in the anal canal

Allow swab to remain 10-30 seconds for absorption of organisms onto the swab

Remove swab and insert into a vial containing 1-3 ml of viral transport media

Label the vial with appropriate patient information

[think before following links] https://blog.puritanmedproducts.com/how-to-swab-for-gonorrhea-and-chlamydia

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tallslenderguy said:

The one taking the swab, could be the doctor or a nurse, probably does this test many times a day and doesn't even think twice about it. i understand the embarrassment though.  i'm a nurse and work at a hospital. my doctor also works at the hospital, so i know and work with him. i get checked for STD's routinely and he always does the swab. He's completely professional, but it's still embarrassing for me. Still, better than running around with and spreading a disease you don't know have. For me, getting checked routinely is just a part of my sex life.

At my local clinic where I get my tests done they swab my mouth, have me self-swab inside my hole and give a urine sample, just before they take my blood samples. I think of testing and getting results as a responsibility and pure upside. Each time I get negative results I'm able to advertise my "just tested and neg" cunt for men to mount and enjoy. It's like a little sexual rebirth...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

That was a great question... good for you.  Many of us went through the same 'anguish' (?)... and I agree with a lot of the other posters... don't sweat it too much.  Medical professionals are used to it... and the samples are tiny.

In Ontario, Canada (at my PrEP clinic), they provide you with two pre-configured bags and labels + your lab test requisitions.

This way, you can do your swabs at home and then package up and take to your local lab within a day or so, at your convenience.  

Our medical system works such that I can take it to ANY lab for processing as part of our health care.  When I show up with my two labelled samples (oral, anal swabs) they take the samples and my lab requisitions.  I give up 3 vials of blood and a bottle of piss.  And I'm on my way.  The whole thing takes about 5-10 minutes.

I believe we are fortunate to have this kind of system.

I have a couple of friends who are lab techs and know about my open lifestyle.  I asked about the swabs.  Their comments were along the lines of "we don't even see clean/dirty.. we are just processing multi samples an hour"..... and they reassured me everyone is used to it.  

It took me a couple of tests to relax... but mind over matter. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

An update, I had the swab and yeah, it wasn't exactly pleasant but it wasn't the humiliating torture I was expecting either. Carrying the urine samples all over the region on different trains was almost more annoying.

The swab, as mentioned above is not internal but rather around, like an aggressive q-tip rub in the ear.

Got my results today, everything is good, prep and many loads are in the future. Thanks again everyone.

13 hours ago, bluewind said:

An update, I had the swab and yeah, it wasn't exactly pleasant but it wasn't the humiliating torture I was expecting either. Carrying the urine samples all over the region on different trains was almost more annoying.

The swab, as mentioned above is not internal but rather around, like an aggressive q-tip rub in the ear.

Got my results today, everything is good, prep and many loads are in the future. Thanks again everyone.

Congrats! Welcome to the club, enjoy your membership benefits, sir!

For the record, the entire purpose of medical swabs is to collect “gunk” of all kinds, from all parts of the body, and see what’s growing in it. A clean looking one would be the exception!

Definitely going to play smart, had syphilis a few years ago and those injections are PAINFUL. It's bizarre to read grindr profiles all around my hometown with people candidly stating they haven't had an STD test in 2 or 3 years. There's not just HIV out there...

Another question if you dont mind, I've read some conflicting reports about Prep on demand, 2 hours or 24 hours before... I'm definitely going for the on-demand plan as it's too expensive to take it 365 days a year, assuming I'm taking 2 pills before sex, then 1 for 2 days in a row after, are 2 hours really enough or should I build up for a bit longer? 

• 6 months later...

Bumping my own thread for un update: I changed hospital to a closer one to my hometown and I noticed different doctors have different methods, as well as hospitals.

Previously I was told to bring two urine samples, now it's just one taken right before talking to the doctor specialized in infectivology, which is the one handling the whole Prep thing.

This time the swab was actually an internal one (two of them to be precise), checking for different STDs. The doctor while he was there checked the status of my rectum with a lubed gloved finger. It was the apex of my sexual activity since the last year- kidding but not too much. Let's say I was particularly glad I cleaned up like I was going to bottom before going there. I apparently need to eat more fiber from what he found out.

He was very polite and professional (handsome too, maybe gay? whatever), and the questionnaire was also way more detailed than before. This particular hospital also allows digital prescriptions (another upgrade from paper) and online delivery of the final results.

In short, different establishments have different methods. Hope this might be useful.