Ditch Roommate/Friend?

BlackDude

8 hours ago, BlackDude said:

I think I should have provide more clarification: yes it is my house, free and clear. But the extra money is nice, esp as a homeowner. He is a friend, and gay, but we never have and never will hook up. Some of his complaints may be Legit if he was paying more, but if your not paying for any utilities, have no furniture or housewares, it’s kinda hard to take seriously. Plus, I know if he ever meets someone he would leave at the drop of a hat (it wouldn’t work out and he would beg to comeback). He’s that dude that’s never been stable. 

Got it. He's a friend, but basically sponges off you.

While the considerations I raised about mid-life making matters worse and the question of whether he's the soft of friend you would go out of your way to help are still worth thinking about, this new information points back to the answers given by @ejaculaTe and @BootmanLA about legal obstacles you might face in merely showing him the door. This page offers some general Q&A-type advice about terminating tenancy: [think before following links] https://www.legalnature.com/guides/what-are-your-rights-when-a-tenant-will-not-move-out-of-your-home#what-is-the-first-step-if-tenants-will-not-leave-your-home

Among its principal advice is what you have heard from several here: Talk to him first and try to resolve the issue without resorting to legal eviction.

The law may provide him protections, but your home is still your castle. Ultimately, you will be able to send him on his way. It might involve the cost of legal services. Whether it comes at the cost of your friendship is in your hands.

Besides, you just told us the solution yourself - he ever meets someone he would leave at the drop of a hat - find him someone! When he comes crawling back, you don't have to say yes, and if you've already rented his room to someone who better fits your lifestyle, you couldn't anyway.

Edited by ErosWired

• 9 months later...

I know this is an old post but....

Just as I figured, I folded, I pandered, I tried to be a good friend. And he left a 30 day note on the freezer door. Not warning, no chat, no anything. A note. I didn’t ask. Knowing him, it’s some dude he’s chatted with two days on Adam. I wish him luck. Just like when he moved to Seattle, LA and SF and came back from all of those “adventures” within 2 months. 

I’ve learned my lesson: no more gay roommates unless they are young, hot, motivated and occasionally fucking. I enjoying my house, no more negativity. No more flakey, roommate friends, no old bitter fags, no flakey Peter Pans, no dudes who wasted the best years lives at the club, then stand in judgment of you, party out of regret and jealousy. 

• Like 4