Prep: daily or on demand?

4 hours ago, renovers82 said:

Both Truvada and Descovy are designed to be taken daily.  How was your prescription written by prescriber?  Following those directions is the safest and smartest recommendations anyone can provide.  

It’s not the prescriber as such it’s official Scottish Government guidance, which of course is discussed with the prescriber. The guidance for daily use is... For people who routinely have sex more than once a week daily PrEP is likely to be a better dosing option.

Edited by BBSMKR

General guidance in the UK (where Prep is free) is that daily is easier and safer, but EBD is promoted as an alternative dosing method. If you're not having frequent anal sex EBD offers a means of contraception against HIV; as studies have demonstrated; it's not as effectively as daily. but certainly more effective than prayer. For long sessions on the end of various cocks, you continue to take a pill daily until until two sex-free days have passed, or you resume dailiy dosing. It's not recommended for people with Hep B.

There's also a method of structuring your EBD called the Ts & Ss method; after 7 days of daily doses, you step down to four pills per week (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday & Sunday) which keeps enough prep in your system to guard against moderate sex (say once a week). It isn't recommended for more active sex lives.

I was a daily user pre-lockdown. I'm currently event-based dosing and clean as a whistle.

Taking a few weeks off work at the end of September and plan on cycling back up to daily though 😜.

An update: I wrote to my doctor and he reassured me about the effectiveness of on-demand Prep. I am still not 100% sure considering all the information kindly provided here, but I have to trust the opinion or a professional who definitely knows more than I do on the subject. Still, the main reason for not going daily is the cost. Hate to say it, but with the world economy and job market in ruins, I cannot justify the cost of a daily pill 365 days a year. I'll postpone my cumdump plans for the future and go on-demand for a few months.

Thanks everyone for their answers.

3 hours ago, bluewind said:

An update: I wrote to my doctor and he reassured me about the effectiveness of on-demand Prep. I am still not 100% sure considering all the information kindly provided here, but I have to trust the opinion or a professional who definitely knows more than I do on the subject. Still, the main reason for not going daily is the cost. Hate to say it, but with the world economy and job market in ruins, I cannot justify the cost of a daily pill 365 days a year. I'll postpone my cumdump plans for the future and go on-demand for a few months.

Thanks everyone for their answers.

Duly noted. I'll add - the point about cost is something I specifically mentioned; obviously, if you can't afford daily dosing (lack of insurance, insurance doesn't cover it, etc.) then economizing is necessary. But as you note, that's not an ideal situation for someone planning a spate of being a cumdump. It sucks, I'm sure - I do not want to downplay that. But there are only so many options.

16 hours ago, renovers82 said:

Both Truvada and Descovy are designed to be taken daily.  How was your prescription written by prescriber?  Following those directions is the safest and smartest recommendations anyone can provide.  

I'm in England and got it free on PrEP trial (waiting now to transfer to normal prescription now the trial is over), and like BBSMKR said daily or event based are approved here. They just want to know which, and if you switch method.

This may clarify something for people. The US FDA approves "on-label" uses for prescription medications, but only for the United States. And it's our FDA that has, so far, deemed daily PrEP the only "on-label" prescription method.

That doesn't stop regulatory authorities in other countries (whether in the UK, Europe, or whatever) from approving different prescribing situations. 

I realize that US-centric statements may not apply elsewhere in the world.