Since Antifa have been doing their protests, do you think there has been less fa?

mk-ultra

Has there been a real decrease in the amount of fa which is atmospherically present in the US and the West in general?

Most of us can only make rough guesses but maybe there's someone here with a fa detector can tell us?

Also, if so, how does it affect the gay community and related issues?

Edited by mk-ultra

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2020 at 11:21 AM, mk-ultra said:

Has there been a real decrease in the amount of fa which is atmospherically present in the US and the West in general?

"fa" is not "atmospherically present." Fascism, which is what "fa" is short for, is the result of deliberate choices by those who govern and those who vote for those who govern. But in any event, the first step is calling attention to the problem. It's not going to be solved overnight. And there are changes coming - as more and more police are forced to wear body cameras, and more and more people are recording the police during arrests, it's becoming clearer that there are widespread, systemic problems in law enforcement. Knowledge of those abuses is the first step in ending them.

On 9/6/2020 at 11:21 AM, mk-ultra said:

Also, if so, how does it affect the gay community and related issues?

Fascism is about power, and almost always, it's about the power of the majority to force minorities to comply with the abridgment of their rights. LGBT people are distinctly a minority in this country, with a long history of oppression. It shouldn't be hard for someone with an IQ above room temperature to realize that a fascism designed to prop up the power of straight white Christian men is going to present problems for LGBT people.

It's true that lesbians and gays have, in the last decade, made significant progress towards equality under the law. We're now permitted to get married throughout the country; we can serve openly in the military (and despite the wails and whining of right-wing bigots, it hasn't presented any morale issues). And as of this summer, the Supreme Court held that the Civil Rights Act's prohibition on discrimination "on account of sex" includes gay, lesbian, and trans people; assuming the court is true to its moorings, we're likely to gain the same protections under the Fair Housing Act and other federal civil rights laws that mention sex.

But we're not done yet. Under Obama, the military had moved to allow trans people to serve; Trump reversed that. Since the military is considered a special case, the Supreme Court is not likely to step in and force that to change back, so it's up to the next president and/or Congress to change that policy, hopefully on a permanent basis.

But beyond those things: right now, the biggest problem American Fascism presents is in crushing dissent. Look at how Trump used federal law enforcement and tear gas to break up peaceful protests near the White House just so he could strut around outside a church, profaning it with his very presence, trying to appear tough on "law and order". LGBT protests are just as likely to be broken up violently by federal thugs if this cancer of fascism isn't eradicated.

• Like 3

It shouldn't be hard for someone with an IQ above room temperature to realize that a fascism designed to prop up the power of straight white Christian men is going to present problems for LGBT people.

You know you're way too old to be ranting like a college student right?

"STRAIGHT WHITE CHRISTIAN MAAAALLLES"

Good point, I always see those billionaires who run the country praying just before they head to the golf course in their limos! You're like, SOOOO right! And everyone knows those two hicks battered Matthew Shepard to death with a bible!!

Jesus wept man.

Are you saying it would be better for me if lesbian black Muslim females  ran the world? I mean, they're the complete opposite right? Oh wait, Islam doesn't allow gays at all so that would be impossible! Your master plane is SCREWED!

We're now permitted to get married throughout the country; we can serve openly in the military (and despite the wails and whining of right-wing bigots, it hasn't presented any morale issues). 

Big whoop. I can call some guy my fucking husband. Fucking wow!

And yeah, good point, getting rid of DADT hasn't caused any problem for assholes who sit in uniform at a desk using a joystick to control a drone! You're on a fuckin' ROLL, here! Can I...  do you do requests? ...Do someone else! Insult someone else, you're too good man, find one of rawTOP's posts and RIP IT TO SHREDS!!! Go dude you're the master!

Edited by mk-ultra
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, mk-ultra said:

Are you saying it would be better for me if lesbian black Muslim females  ran the world? I mean, they're the complete opposite right? Oh wait, Islam doesn't allow gays at all so that would be impossible! Your master plane is SCREWED!

There are threads of all of the Abrahamic faiths (Judaism, Christianity, Islam) that proscribe homosexuality and endorse harsh punishment, including death.

There are threads of all three that do the opposite.

The issue isn't Islam; it's wedding a particular strain of Islam to civil authority that's the problem. Just as it was a problem when Christianity was wedded to the civil authorities of what is now Europe.

8 minutes ago, mk-ultra said:

Big whoop. I can call some guy my fucking husband. Fucking wow!

And yeah, good point, getting rid of DADT hasn't caused any problem for assholes who sit in uniform at a desk using a joystick to control a drone! You're on a fuckin' ROLL, here! Can I...  do you do requests? ...Do someone else! Insult someone else, you're too good man, find one of rawTOP's posts and RIP IT TO SHREDS!!! Go dude you're the master!

If you don't want to be married, that's your right. Some of us do. Some of us want equal treatment under the law for our relationships. You may not have concerns about tax treatment of spousal benefits, inheritance rights, the ability to see one's spouse in a hospital and make health care decisions for him if he's incapacitated, etc. - and it's fine that you don't care. I assume it's probably because there's nobody who'd want to make those calls for you. But for many of us, they are important issues. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...