Downvotes.. What makes you??

DarkroomTaker

I rarely downvote. But when I do, it's usually to express disapproval that goes well beyond disagreement. For instance, if one member attacks another in ways that look like they're edging up against the rules, or breaking them, I may not only report them but downvote (so that even if the guy "skates" on a rules infraction, there's still some record of my concern).

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, BootmanLA said:

I rarely downvote. But when I do, it's usually to express disapproval that goes well beyond disagreement. For instance, if one member attacks another in ways that look like they're edging up against the rules, or breaking them, I may not only report them but downvote (so that even if the guy "skates" on a rules infraction, there's still some record of my concern).

I'm similar. If I don't like something someone says I usually just keep scrolling, but sometimes someone will say something and my reaction is to fill with anger or disgust beyond words. Instead or getting into it, I just downvote. Hardly ever though. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

At least at first, the number of reactions a user can make is rather limited, so the system trained me to use them sparingly. It seemed better to highlight the few posts that I loved rather than waste my resources on the many posts that disgust me or otherwise engage my abundant capacity for disapproval.

My own views and preferences tend to be harsh. Believe it or not, I mostly keep them to myself. But I'm sure my expressed opinions have garnered many more downvotes than I have ever thought to use. I don't mind. I keep my own counsel and have no expectation that my conclusions will be broadly accepted.

To answer the question, I would tend to downvote a factually incorrect assertion if I considered the topic important enough.

Edited by FaceLoad

i like to believe what people write really happened but then i’ll see a post saying something like “last tuesday i had sex with my father, my brother, the pope and jeffrey dahmer.”    instant boner killer and possible downvote.

Edited by bbcmdmp77
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, FaceLoad said:

At least at first, the number of reactions a user can make is rather limited, so the system trained me to use them sparingly. It seemed better to highlight the few posts that I loved rather than waste my resources on the many posts that disgust me or otherwise engage my abundant capacity for disapproval.

My own views and preferences tend to be harsh. Believe it or not, I mostly keep them to myself. But I'm sure my expressed opinions have garnered many more downvotes than I have ever thought to use. I don't mind. I keep my own counsel and have no expectation that my conclusions will be broadly accepted.

To answer the question, I would tend to downvote a factually incorrect assertion if I considered the topic important enough.

oh trust me i masturbate to your stuff - i adore how tough and detailed you are about male sex, oral and anal rape and submission - we want MORE!

• Upvote 1

I have used the downvote only once since I’ve been here - if I think someone’s content needs a rebuttal or a rebuke, I prefer to use my vocabulary. If someone were being a blatant, unrepentant bigot or racist, or indulging in willful ignorance, I might consider adding the red arrow for emphasis. If someone is posting factually false and dangerous information like, say, insisting that Maximum Impact is the same thing as poppers and totally safe, hell yeah I’d flag that sucker red and tear it apart word-by-word in the next post. But if something is really egregiously offensive, I have no qualms whatever about reporting it to the Moderators - I figure that if the guy is that big an asshole to start with, poking him with a little red arrow isn’t going to do anything to improve his disposition.

• Thanks 1

I haven't been on the site ;long enough yet to run across something downright awful to deserve a down-vote. I'd only give one if it was someone being a ridiculous asshole in some way. Other postings above give great examples of good reasons to down-vote something (or someone in general!)

I stay away from subject threads if they are not something I am interested in, or if I don't fit the category they are made to appeal to, or if it is about something I have nothing useful to contribute to. Or worse, jumping into a thread to spin some line of bullshit about experience I don't really have or talking about a situation I don't have any intention of going through with. Why try to fake knowledge or experience to post garbage in a thread, when there are many other threads that I can contribute positively to? Posting stupid shit is a good way to get one of those down-votes!

Guest cumlvrpig
On 9/6/2020 at 5:29 PM, evilqueerpig said:

I was taught if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing!

There's that.  Though I like Alice Roosevelt-Longworth's, "If you don't have anything nice to say about someone come, sit next to me." 

• 2 weeks later...

On a related topic: I've decided the "haha" reaction is the appropriate one for 'This post is such bullshit", so I expect to use it a lot often.

Mostly on the ones like "My first time ever was a gang rape by sixteen escaped convicts who were doing time for murder, all with BBCs, they made me crave BBC forever and ever afterward".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1