Prep and condoms

bentover66

PrEP taken for a long enough time should be enough to prevent HIV transmission....There have been a few rare instances where guys have become poz while on PrEP...one was a guy who was taking dozens of loads over a short time.  Condoms will help protect you from STD's....STD's are on the rise because of increased barebacking due to PrEP

I can't see why someone would take PREP and then not fuck BB - it makes no sense to me at all; it's not as though PREP has no side effects: it's just that its side effects are probably less than those of contracting HIV (and especially if that progresses to AIDS and final death). I really feel like saying to someone I know who is a bottom only, who takes PREP but insists on condoms (which means no anal with me! Hah!): "If you're so paranoid about being fucked and getting HIV then why don't you just, well, not get fucked or fuck completely? It's even MORE impossible to get anything anally if you DON'T DO anal..."

Edited by fuckyouraw777
My grammar today is horrid :(
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, fuckyouraw777 said:

I can't see why someone would take PREP and then not fuck BB - it makes no sense to me at all; it's not as though PREP has no side effects: it's just that its side effects are probably less than those of contracting HIV (and especially if that progresses to AIDS and final death). I really feel like saying to someone I know who is a bottom only, who takes PREP but insists on condoms (which means no anal with me! Hah!): "If you're so paranoid about being fucked and getting HIV then why don't you just, well, not get fucked or fuck completely? It's even MORE impossible to get anything anally if you DON'T DO anal..."

Just for the record. "PrEP" refers to the protocol, taking Truvada/Descovy, using condoms to prevent STIs and getting the regular Bloodwork.   Yes... Taking the Truvada/Descovy will give upwards of 99+% protection.

In my HIV outreach work I will frequently run into guys who, while wearing condoms 99-100% of the time, they are still worried about contracting HIV. Maybe a condom broke one time, maybe there's a GF or wife in the picture. There maybe numerous reasons that an individual would want to take "PrEP" and use condoms.

There is enough shaming in our community already. Lets not further shaming fellows who may have a reason to "wear the seatbelt even when the car has an Airbag"

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

Using a condom while on PrEP is overkill for HIV prevention. The drug provides better protection than the condoms. The condoms provide protection for other STIs though, and that is why some people still use them. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I agree with fillmyholeftl that there’s enough shaming, so I’m not criticising others. I started taking PrEP so I could get rid of the anxiety around fucking bare. Simple as that and the best thing I’ve ever done. Yes there’s an increase in STIs and I've experiences that, but that’s a risk I’m willing to take to enjoy sex as naturally as possible.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BBSMKR said:

I agree with fillmyholeftl that there’s enough shaming, so I’m not criticising others. I started taking PrEP so I could get rid of the anxiety around fucking bare. Simple as that and the best thing I’ve ever done. Yes there’s an increase in STIs and I've experiences that, but that’s a risk I’m willing to take to enjoy sex as naturally as possible.

Same and it has removed that anxiety and a lot of the stigma too. 

13 hours ago, fillmyholeftl said:

Just for the record. "PrEP" refers to the protocol, taking Truvada/Descovy, using condoms to prevent STIs and getting the regular Bloodwork.   Yes... Taking the Truvada/Descovy will give upwards of 99+% protection.

In my HIV outreach work I will frequently run into guys who, while wearing condoms 99-100% of the time, they are still worried about contracting HIV. Maybe a condom broke one time, maybe there's a GF or wife in the picture. There maybe numerous reasons that an individual would want to take "PrEP" and use condoms.

There is enough shaming in our community already. Lets not further shaming fellows who may have a reason to "wear the seatbelt even when the car has an Airbag"

All your points are valid but I didn't intend to shame anyone - in which case, I probably expressed myself in a way that implied that even if it wasn't my intention. It is quite possible to see no point in doing something without necessarily imputing shame on those who happen to be doing that something.

It might be better said that I am aware that people might use condoms to protect against other STIs or to comply with the definition of PrEP as you stated. However, from my personal perspective, I'm not sure the potential side effects of long term drugs such as Truvada/Descovy (and their various proprietary/generic names) vs regular condom use, which they are doing anyway, would be. That is to say, is the long term side effect of taking Truvada/Descovy outweighed by slight chance that one might catch HIV through regular condom use?

Personally, I don't think it is!

However, others can think differently and in reality they need to think for themselves.

1 hour ago, fuckyouraw777 said:

All your points are valid but I didn't intend to shame anyone - in which case, I probably expressed myself in a way that implied that even if it wasn't my intention. It is quite possible to see no point in doing something without necessarily imputing shame on those who happen to be doing that something.

It might be better said that I am aware that people might use condoms to protect against other STIs or to comply with the definition of PrEP as you stated. However, from my personal perspective, I'm not sure the potential side effects of long term drugs such as Truvada/Descovy (and their various proprietary/generic names) vs regular condom use, which they are doing anyway, would be. That is to say, is the long term side effect of taking Truvada/Descovy outweighed by slight chance that one might catch HIV through regular condom use?

Personally, I don't think it is!

However, others can think differently and in reality they need to think for themselves.

Agree... But that's a personal decision.  RISK vs Benefit  

Condom alone can break and prep can be a backup as one may want to use. Also think while one can say is on prep that not know for sure actually on prep or if regularly take as supposed to. I think if one on prep can reduce concern if partner is being open and honest. 

See as a personal choice one on prep and use condom. Also thinking one can request wear a condom and they put one on. Also can see use a condom until reach time prep protects as one takes.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bentover66 said:

Thanks guys for your comments, I don't ask for condoms from people I know, but  I feel it is safer to do with people I meet for the first time. Some say that they are on Prep, but who knows if they are being honest.

Valid point, but just because "you know" someone, doesn't mean he's being honest either. Or, in the alternative, that he even knows (perhaps he thinks he's negative but hasn't actually been tested in a few years).

That's not to say that you need to ask for a condom from everyone. But I wouldn't for one moment consider the fact that I know someone as a reason to take his word that he's negative or undetectable.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1