Conor McGregor

Justaholeff

Guest Omnivore
16 hours ago, leatherpunk16 said:

Too bad he's a homophobe.

He's not, though.  He advocated for same-sex marriage in Ireland when it was up for referendum. 

[think before following links] https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/10/31/conor-mcgregor-apologizes-for-homophobic-slur/

He has used slurs of different kinds but he's brain damaged from fighting so he has a lot of erratic behaviors now.  I think he used that homophobic slur privately just to console a friend after a loss and only meant it in the general sense of "weak" the way many kids do and not as a direct reference to the guy's sexuality.  He came from a rough blue-collar Irish Catholic background so some of that stuff is pre-programmed into him but he knows better and I think he's just had so much head trauma that his reptile brain often takes over.

4 hours ago, Sharp-edge said:

I  don't like wrestlers. I mean  I do understand  that they  can be hot but the whole  thing  about  martial arts is  a turn off for me.  Especially about  professionals, what kind of person choses to do a job t hat includes dropping unconscious someone else? 

One useful divider is between sports that involve lots of rough physical contact (US football, hockey, rugby, boxing, wrestling, MMA, and increasingly others where teams get into brawls during games) - which are all more or less ways to letting men be violent in somewhat acceptable ways - and those without such contact, including tennis, swimming, track and field, etc.

The former group, unsurprisingly, seems filled with people who have violent streaks. Look at the huge numbers of players who've had to deal with domestic violence charges. And those are the sports where CTE is becoming abundant. We have a serious problem in this world with the vast number of people in this world who find entertainment in people pounding the crap out of each other.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2020 at 10:41 PM, BootmanLA said:

One useful divider is between sports that involve lots of rough physical contact (US football, hockey, rugby, boxing, wrestling, MMA, and increasingly others where teams get into brawls during games) - which are all more or less ways to letting men be violent in somewhat acceptable ways - and those without such contact, including tennis, swimming, track and field, etc.

The former group, unsurprisingly, seems filled with people who have violent streaks. Look at the huge numbers of players who've had to deal with domestic violence charges. And those are the sports where CTE is becoming abundant. We have a serious problem in this world with the vast number of people in this world who find entertainment in people pounding the crap out of each other.

I have to take issue with that one. Rugby is very much about respect. No one but the captain speaks to the referee. The captain calls the referee “Sir”. Players may even call the opposition “Sir”. Physical contact is tough, but strictly within the laws of the game, and anything outside of that gets severely punished.

You don’t hear a lot about rugby players causing trouble off the pitch (there are exceptions, of course). Football (soccer) players, on the other hand...

As for Conor McGregor, he’s from a place a few minutes from where I’m from. You used to sometimes see him around town, although I’m not sure where he lives now. He’s got an attractive body, but the man is a lunatic. You’re all welcome to him!

On 9/27/2020 at 7:49 PM, subBottomKink said:

I have to take issue with that one. Rugby is very much about respect. No one but the captain speaks to the referee. The captain calls the referee “Sir”. Players may even call the opposition “Sir”. Physical contact is tough, but strictly within the laws of the game, and anything outside of that gets severely punished.

You don’t hear a lot about rugby players causing trouble off the pitch (there are exceptions, of course). Football (soccer) players, on the other hand...

As for Conor McGregor, he’s from a place a few minutes from where I’m from. You used to sometimes see him around town, although I’m not sure where he lives now. He’s got an attractive body, but the man is a lunatic. You’re all welcome to him!

I'll grant that we can quibble about the details. But rugby is a violent sport, without question.

The players may well be better behaved off the playing field than football/soccer players, American football players, hockey players, boxers, MMA fighters, etc. But in terms of the inherent violence in the game, that's not really a debatable point; the rules may be stricter, but it's still in the same general league as those other sports, and very, very much removed from (for instance) tennis, diving, swimming, skating, golf, and other similar sports.

15 hours ago, BootmanLA said:

I'll grant that we can quibble about the details. But rugby is a violent sport, without question.

The players may well be better behaved off the playing field than football/soccer players, American football players, hockey players, boxers, MMA fighters, etc. But in terms of the inherent violence in the game, that's not really a debatable point; the rules may be stricter, but it's still in the same general league as those other sports, and very, very much removed from (for instance) tennis, diving, swimming, skating, golf, and other similar sports.

I can’t argue with that.