Chicago Renames Iconic LGBTQ ‘Boystown’ Neighborhood Over Concerns Name Was Not Inclusive Of Women

Ranger Rick

2 hours ago, chibtm2breed said:

More Politically Correct Nonsense you are posting, You hate Gay men, fine stay out of my neighborhood Boystown.

It’s soooo politically correct to say that you want to shit on the President of the United States’ grave. Really think about that allegation for a second... it doesn’t make sense. You’re just another Trumper whose brain glitches out if someone says anything against your Dear Leader. “Fake News!” “Politically Correct!” “Sad!” “I’m not intolerant, you’re intolerant!” Says the guy telling other people to stay out of his neighborhood, as spittle foams at the corners of his mouth while trying to imitate the Cheeto in Chief.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

15 hours ago, 11bi11guy said:

It’s soooo politically correct to say that you want to shit on the President of the United States’ grave. Really think about that allegation for a second... it doesn’t make sense. You’re just another Trumper whose brain glitches out if someone says anything against your Dear Leader. “Fake News!” “Politically Correct!” “Sad!” “I’m not intolerant, you’re intolerant!” Says the guy telling other people to stay out of his neighborhood, as spittle foams at the corners of his mouth while trying to imitate the Cheeto in Chief.

ChiBtm2Breed is one of those seriously intolerant people who thinks gays and lesbians have to reject all Muslims because some of their leadership in some Muslim-majority countries are highly intolerant of homosexuality. And laughingly, he has the nerve to suggest that if we object to that broad brush-painting, we are the intolerant ones. He's just another bigot. 

18 minutes ago, BootmanLA said:

ChiBtm2Breed is one of those seriously intolerant people who thinks gays and lesbians have to reject all Muslims because some of their leadership in some Muslim-majority countries are highly intolerant of homosexuality. And laughingly, he has the nerve to suggest that if we object to that broad brush-painting, we are the intolerant ones. He's just another bigot. 

You are the Intolerant one Obviously. You are making things up, where did I say anything about Muslims being bad at all? I didn't you imagined something out of thin air.

3 minutes ago, chibtm2breed said:

You are the Intolerant one Obviously. You are making things up, where did I say anything about Muslims being bad at all? I didn't you imagined something out of thin air.

I pointed out that Biden's use of "inshallah" wasn't a coded signal for support of Shariah Law or anything else the nutball right wing seems to think it was, and you called me "intolerant" in response. You were, as I read it, effectively endorsing the position of those nutcases that one can't use an Arabic phrase without it being a sign that one is secretly controlled by some Islamic cabal.

If that's not what you meant, fine. I still don't see where I'm intolerant of anything except other people's intolerance. Being a tolerant person does not mean accepting other people's intolerance, especially when it's based strictly on religious bigotry.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, BootmanLA said:

I pointed out that Biden's use of "inshallah" wasn't a coded signal for support of Shariah Law or anything else the nutball right wing seems to think it was, and you called me "intolerant" in response. You were, as I read it, effectively endorsing the position of those nutcases that one can't use an Arabic phrase without it being a sign that one is secretly controlled by some Islamic cabal.

If that's not what you meant, fine. I still don't see where I'm intolerant of anything except other people's intolerance. Being a tolerant person does not mean accepting other people's intolerance, especially when it's based strictly on religious bigotry.

I said nothing about Muslims nor did it have to do with them just your reaction to those who disagree with you. You seem intolerant of ANYONE who doesn't support your political view. 

You also seem intolerant that Gays would prefer our neighborhood still be Boystown. You can think the name should change FINE!! but you can't seem to be tolerant that the majority gay/straights/everyone in the survey said keep the name and the vast majority like 80% did not think the name was a problem. And that people feeling that way is a valid point of view.

• Downvote 1

55 minutes ago, chibtm2breed said:

I said nothing about Muslims nor did it have to do with them just your reaction to those who disagree with you. You seem intolerant of ANYONE who doesn't support your political view. 

You also seem intolerant that Gays would prefer our neighborhood still be Boystown. You can think the name should change FINE!! but you can't seem to be tolerant that the majority gay/straights/everyone in the survey said keep the name and the vast majority like 80% did not think the name was a problem. And that people feeling that way is a valid point of view.

I'm not intolerant of people who think it should "still be Boystown". I understand very much the desire to keep things the same. I've simply pointed out that it should also be understandable why a significant portion of the community might find it non-inclusive, and my personal belief (and yes, it's just an opinion) that inclusivity is a higher value than sentimental tradition. I'm tolerant of those who feel differently, even if I think they're valuing something trivial. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, chibtm2breed said:

...and the vast majority like 80% did not think the name was a problem.

Again, what you’re claiming about the survey results is false. 80% said they did not personally feel unwelcome by the Boystown name. That’s different than saying they did not think the name was a problem.

Maybe it’s clearer if you think about how these two survey questions are different:

1. “Do you personally feel unwelcome in the neighborhood due to the name ‘Boystown’?”

vs.

2. “Do you have a problem with the name ‘Boystown’?”

There are some people who would respond to those two questions differently. I am a frequent visitor to Chicago and to Boystown/Northalsted. I do not personally feel unwelcome by the Boystown name for the neighborhood, so I would answer “no” to the first question. But I can see how others, particularly women, would personally feel unwelcome by the Boystown name. If I know (as I do now from the actual survey) that 20% of people personally feel unwelcome by the name, I respect those people enough to the point that now I do have a problem with the name, even though I myself do not personally feel unwelcome by it. So I would respond “yes” to the second question.

This is the second time you’ve made this claim about the survey, and the second time I’ve had to correct you about it. Either you’re having difficulty understanding the difference between the actual survey results vs. what you’re claiming (which is fine, no shame in that, just admit it and we can move on with the accurate results), or you’re being willfully dishonest to try to support your position better.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest beardedbastard
17 minutes ago, DaddyIssues1968 said:

Applying for my permit now, so there will soon be another gun owner on here 

Nice. Love shooting Man. Right now, saving my ammo very hard to find. 

Guest bluecollarotter
On 11/1/2020 at 9:20 AM, beardedbastard said:

Nice. Love shooting Man. Right now, saving my ammo very hard to find. 

what about the ammo in your nutsac?

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/4/2020 at 1:14 PM, mk-ultra said:

Biden said "Inshallah" during the debate (it was discussed widely, you can look it up). We have reached a point where "liberal" presidential campaigners are now using ISIS dog-whistles during his most important public appearance of the year.

The Democrats have been sucking up to Islam for a total of 19 years now (as of this September). That's so long, they can probably barely any other thing in life. If you think "renaming something" is the worst thing that is going to be asked of American gays in a hypothetical Biden administration, you have an extremely limited scope for your world view and your imagination is so crippled and puny it should have a disabled parking permit.

I learned the term “inshallah” from a Christian professor from Tanzania back in January 2008. It’s a very common phrase with both hopeful and sarcastic meanings used by people of all religious identities, including the non religious. Calling it a dog whistle is false, and doubling down when people tell you that you’re wrong shows that you’re not acting in good faith.

On 10/16/2020 at 4:19 AM, chibtm2breed said:

More Politically Correct Nonsense you are posting, You hate Gay men, fine stay out of my neighborhood Boystown.

Boystown was never an official neighborhood of Chicago nor was it an official designation of a larger neighborhood. It’s literally just a part of Lakeview, just like Wrigleyville is. Even further, people use the term Boystown differently, with some calling all of Lakeview East Boystown and others reserving it for various areas surrounding N Halsted. 

Also, why are people so triggered by a name change? It’s a name, people; they’re not stripping the area of its queerness or something weird like that. And the fact that you seem to think that it’s a neighborhood only for gay men is exactly the problem. 

13 hours ago, TC1127 said:

I learned the term “inshallah” from a Christian professor from Tanzania back in January 2008. It’s a very common phrase with both hopeful and sarcastic meanings used by people of all religious identities, including the non religious. Calling it a dog whistle is false, and doubling down when people tell you that you’re wrong shows that you’re not acting in good faith.

FWIW, TC1127, I've learned to discount anything said by people on here whose "handles" are straight-up drughead references. 

• 1 month later...

This really is a MUTE point to go 4 pages. Since Gay marriage became legal many businesses opened their eyes and include Everybody. Gay bars and nightclubs and even bathhouses have closed prior to the Pandemic.  I don't have to go to a gay bar because every bar is open. Business was slowing for many of our gay businesses. 

It's like Jackie Robinson (42) broke through to Major League Baseball but it also DESTROYED the negro league which was one of the few profitable businesses OWNED by Black Businessmen.

Bottom line: Talk to a realtor and will call it Lakeview or Wrigglevil yet 20 years from now some people will still call it "Boystown"