Trump supporters?

PozDaddy916

16 minutes ago, Close2MyBro said:

You're probably to young to have heard of  Jimmy Carter. He's the Democratic president who had the longest and worst depression since World War II, starting at the beginning of 1980, and not ending until two years after Ronald Reagan was in office.

It was  a recession, not a depression.  Also, that was the same Ronald Reagan that denied that AIDS was an issue until his friend Rock Hudson was diagnosed.  And stem cell research was evil until it held some hope of a treatment for Alzheimer's.   He was the beginning of the "It's not a problem unless it affects me" Republicans.  The Republicans of old (i.e. small government, fiscally responsible) are long gone - by several decades.  Just look at the deficits that the Republican presidents of late have saddled us with.  Ironically, the Democrats that have replaced them have generally been much more centrist and fiscally responsible.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Close2MyBro said:

You're probably to young to have heard of  Jimmy Carter. He's the Democratic president who had the longest and worst depression since World War II, starting at the beginning of 1980, and not ending until two years after Ronald Reagan was in office.

I’m old enough to remember the 70s, and Carter inherited a US economy with both high inflation AND high unemployment.  The whole country was dispirited due to Nixon’s crimes, US embassy employees in Saigon evacuating from the rooftop via helicopter, and a series of energy crises induced by OPEC.

Carter appointed Paul Volcker Chairman of the Federal Reserve Bank, and the Fed cranked interest rates up to a 21% prime rate that broke the back of inflation and brought on a major slowdown.  Carter took the heat for that and even without the Iran hostage situation his re-election was doomed.

In comes Reagan who cranked up the deficit to juice the economy.  Before that he’d done a backdoor arms for hostages deal with the Iranians to keep up his cowboy image. The Republicans ran deficits for 12 years including Bush I’s term.  Only under Clinton was  the national debt  reduced.

The idea that Republicans are fiscally responsible is complete myth.  Put them in the White House and they’re as profligate as a drunk teen with daddy’s black Amex.

Carter was probably the most guileless person to ever serve as President.  A little ruthlessness might have served him well.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Close2MyBro said:

Well your profile on adam4adam says 49, so I'm guessing so where in your 60's, so you are old enough to know it was a RESESSION, that was caused by a destabilization of the global oil market do to political unrest of the middle east and south America partially because of Nixon intervention, and his tax cutting. For the wealthy and large corporations while still engaged in the Vietnam War he had escalated  to southeast Asia, putting the US further in debt and unable to handle a global down turn. This was followed by Reagan who sold out the Americans being held hostage in Iran, but cutting a deal that they would jot be released till after he was sworn in, the raised taxes his first 3 years in office on the middle class, cutting social safety programs, and funding to education, exploding the national debt and causing the greatest foreclosure crisses in America leading to the rise in corporate farming where today less that 10% of farmers are family farms, an explosion of higher education student loans and the those born after 1975 to be the first generation to earn less then their parents. So instead of demeaning someone by calling them Young, you should learn your facts, or sit down, and read a book. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

On 10/12/2020 at 9:22 PM, barefootboy said:

Twinkfoot makes a good point. The Great Recession happened under Republican rule. Republicans had the White House, Senate, and House of Representatives from 2001 to 2009. Deregulation lead to the fraudulent lending practices that caused the “Housing Bubble” to burst (financial people know that loans are sold as investments and these worthless loans were sold as grade A investments which is what started the Great Recession).  Behr-Sterns was the first major Financial Institution to fail on March 16, 2008 which began the recession.  Therefore,  the recession hit before Obama ever stepped foot in the White House.  

Strictly speaking, the info for 2001 to 2009 is incorrect. The Democrats held the Senate for most of 2001 and all of 2002. It was "most" because when Congress was seated in January 2001, the Senate was tied 50/50 with Dick Cheney, as VP/President of the Senate, the tiebreaking vote. That summer, Republican Jim Jeffords of Vermont switched from Republican to Independent and announced he would caucus with the Democrats, giving them 51-49 control.

In 2003 Republicans reclaimed the Senate, and held it until 2007. In the midterm elections of 2006, the Democrats reclaimed the majority in both the House and Senate for the remainder of GW Bush's term. That said, the seeds of the Great Recession had already been sown and they sprouted well before Bush left office.

On 10/12/2020 at 10:52 PM, Close2MyBro said:

Simply not true. Perhaps you do not understand what a recession or a depression is.

A recession is two or more consecutive quarters in which economic growth is negative, ie the economy produces fewer goods and services than it did before. That's a nice, clean definition accepted by governmental economists across the spectrum.

By that measure, there was a brief recession in early 1980, lasting the first two quarters of the year. GDP decline, peak to trough, during this recession was 2.2%. That recession was over five months before Reagan was even elected.

By contrast, you can look at the 1973-1975 recession under Republican Gerald Ford, which lasted sixteen months and during which the economy declined 3.2%.

Or look at the Reagan recession, which also lasted sixteen months, from July 1981 through November 1982 and during which GDP shrank 2.7%.

We had THREE recessions under Eisenhower - ten months in 1953, where the GDP fell 2.6%; eight months, in late 1957-early 1958, GDP falling a whopping 3.7%; and another 10 months starting in the spring of 1960 where the GDP lost another 1.6%.

Jumping forward, GHW Bush presided over a recession from July of 1990 through March of 1991, including the GDP losing 1.4%.

Clinton's entire presidency consisted of economic growth, every quarter.

Under G.W. Bush, he had two recessions, one at the start of his presidency (8 months, fairly mild at 0.3% loss) and one at the end (disaster, lasting 18 months and a GDP fall of 5.1%).

So no, the one short, mild recession in Carter's term was in no way the largest since WWII. Not even close to the *average* Republican recession since WWII.

• Like 1

The sad thing is that so many people buy into the garbage take that Republicans are fiscally cautious and Democrats profligate spenders. The real truth is that at least since Reagan tripled the deficit under his watch, Republicans have always spent like frat boys trying to get a coed drunk  to rape at a frat house party while cutting taxes so that the deficit and debt skyrocket. They end up causing a recession, which a Democrat gets elected to clean up, and of course then Republicans  fight tooth and nail against spending any money to help repair the damage and then point to the deficit and debt as "proof" that Democrats are bad at governmental finance.

• Like 1

No matter who people vote for youre voting for a terrible person. Biden is a pedophile who supports pedophile Island and aldo is a devoted member of the kkk and then you got trump which just talks about how he groped a lot of women. Im not voting but if i was id vote for jack sparrow. Let's make america pirates! 

30 minutes ago, Lily95 said:

No matter who people vote for youre voting for a terrible person. Biden is a pedophile who supports pedophile Island and aldo is a devoted member of the kkk and then you got trump which just talks about how he groped a lot of women. Im not voting but if i was id vote for jack sparrow. Let's make america pirates! 

There is literally NO evidence, whatsoever, that Biden is a pedophile, nor is he a member of the KKK, devoted or otherwise. That's a nasty rumor being circulated by people out to wreck our country by discouraging people from voting at all.

However, it's documented fact that Trump's father, Fred, was arrested as a young man at a KKK rally in New York, which is in keeping with what we know of his racially discriminatory rental practices and which attitudes he's passed on to his son.

That said, if you're that ill-informed, and given that you live in a solidly blue state, I'm glad you are passing on voting - we don't need more uninformed people polluting the ballot box.

• Like 3

Actually there is pictures of him at a kkk rally speaking to kkk members and openly supporting them and when he said if you don't vote for me you aint black i don't like that comment. Even a lot of black people in my city are freaking out about it. Im not saying people shouldn't vote for him just was stating that i dont like either candidate nor the fact that a lot of people saying trump should have died by covid. We should all just vote for who we want to and not try to force people to vote one way or the other. I may not like Biden but that doesn't mean others feel the same way just like trump i dont care much for him either but at least hes trying for not having any political background. We need someone who can do better for america like someone who fought for our freedom to dislike others beliefs and our rights as americans. I don't know who that would be but everyone deserves a chance to try even if they fail. People gave obama a chance and he proved he wasnt a failure but even he made mistakes that cost me my insurance and my job but he tried to help america. In conclusion i think no matter what my vote is meaningless because im just one being. My life doesnt matter to the people of this world because im different. Im transgender gay native american Mexican irish german Jewish and also fat. People only judge me by what they see as my color not for who i truly am as a human. I may look white but im only 50% white and 25% native 5% mexican 5% jewish and 15% irish each of my genetic codes all been tormented enslaved raped pillaged and almost wiped off this planet. If we just stop seeing the differences in each other we may be able to find out a solution for our own flaws

9 hours ago, Lily95 said:

Actually there is pictures of him at a kkk rally speaking to kkk members and openly supporting them

Post a link proving what you said, from a reliable source and not some whacko right-wing fake news site.

The only *possible* thing I can imagine you're talking about is that Biden did speak at the funeral of the late Sen. Robert Byrd, who at one time, in his youth, had been a member of his local KKK. He not only resigned that many decades before, but forcefully denounced them and stated publicly that having joined them was the biggest mistake of his life. If you were told that was a KKK rally, you were misinformed. If you were told he was openly supporting the KKK, you were misinformed. 

when he said if you don't vote for me you aint black i don't like that comment. Even a lot of black people in my city are freaking out about it. 

I will agree that what he said, how he said it, is problematic. I believe that what he meant was that black people who would support Donald Trump (after his long, well-documented career in racism) "ain't black", in the sense that they clearly haven't been directly impacted by the racism he and his party espouse. I wouldn't have phrased it that way, but I agree with his underlying point: Republicans have done everything they can, for the last 40+ years, to undermine minority voting rights, to slash programs meant to help make up for centuries of racial oppression, and more, and to reward them with votes at a time when they're trying very hard to roll back much of the progress made is, well, self-defeating. 

We should all just vote for who we want to and not try to force people to vote one way or the other.

Nobody's trying to "force" anyone. People are trying to "persuade". That's the fundamental essence of campaigning - to impart information about one's candidate and his/her opponent(s), in an attempt to persuade other people to support or oppose particular candidates. I'm not sure why anyone would object to that, unless they're afraid their opinions on who to support won't stand up to scrutiny.

10 hours ago, Lily95 said:

My life doesnt matter to the people of this world because im different. Im transgender gay native american Mexican irish german Jewish and also fat. People only judge me by what they see as my color not for who i truly am as a human. I may look white but im only 50% white and 25% native 5% mexican 5% jewish and 15% irish each of my genetic codes all been tormented enslaved raped pillaged and almost wiped off this planet. If we just stop seeing the differences in each other we may be able to find out a solution for our own flaws

Let's posit one thing up front: because of our electoral system, for better or worse, only one of the two main party candidates is going to win the election, because with a winner-take-all electoral vote system, a third-party candidate would have to come in first in multiple states (or one huge state like CA or TX) in order to get enough electoral votes to keep both other candidates from reaching the 270 needed to win.

Of those two parties, one is far more sympathetic to your status as a gay man, as a transgender person, as someone with Native American heritage, as someone with Mexican heritage, and so forth, than the other. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that to the extent the GOP wants your vote, that's literally the *only* time they want you. The Democrats are far from perfect, but they're an order of magnitude better for you, on the issues that should be of importance to you as a marginalized person, than the Republican party. 

That's not to tell you that you MUST vote or that you MUST vote for Biden. It's a way of letting you know that there is a choice between, say, a bland chicken sandwich and a stew made of urine and feces with a vomit coating. If you're the kind of person who has to stop and think and then ask "Well, can you tell me how the chicken was prepared?", then voting may not be for you.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2020 at 2:46 AM, LiamCart said:

I don't care if you love or hate the president.  I just think it's lame trashing the guy when he's in the hospital. At least respect the office of the president. I think it's weird how the news media push their own spin on anything to do with Trump and people just repeat the same hateful talking points instead of thinking for themselves and being a free thinker. Left...right...we all bleed the same and are the same inside. I just know that as a kid I saw my parents almost lose everything when Obama was president and our lives as a family got better financially when Trump became president.  I do disagree with different things he has done like stopping trans people from serving in the military. Other than that what has he done that is so anti-gay? I just feel like you can have a difference of opinion with someone without having to hate on them. Good vibes and love is just better. By saying this I'm not endorsing Trump or Biden or whoever. I personally like the Libertarian party more. But they will prolly never win an election. That does suck. 

I tend to agree with your sentiments. Trump has done some anti-trans stuff and he doesn't have much patience for civil unrest regardless of the cause, but other than that he really hasn't been that bad compared to say Hillary. My family is VERY liberal and they act like coronavirus wouldn't exist but for Trump. I'm pretty sure if Trump was anyone else, covid would still be just as bad in the US. I don't watch much mainstream media and without that my daily life isn't affected much by who is president.

• Administrators

Just a reminder – false statements and promotion of conspiracy theories will earn you an infraction. "New Members" who do it will probably be banned permanently. In the case of false statements in this particular thread, it's election interference and in many cases it's advocating harm against the gay community. Neither will be tolerated on this site.

https://www.glaad.org/trump

• Thanks 1

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, FemNegBttm said:

… but other than that he really hasn't been that bad compared to say Hillary. My family is VERY liberal and they act like coronavirus wouldn't exist but for Trump. I'm pretty sure if Trump was anyone else, covid would still be just as bad in the US. I don't watch much mainstream media and without that my daily life isn't affected much by who is president.

This is  a false statement. Look at our experience here in NY with a Democratic governor and compare that to the red states that have followed Trump's advice. The differences are shocking. For example, North Dakota has an infection rate that's 13 times that of NY. Hillary's approach would have been much like Cuomo's approach or Canada's approach and a lot more people would be alive today if she were president. That's what your family is trying to say.

Here's a reputable site where you can get good data about the state of COVID in the US:

https://www.covidexitstrategy.org/

• Upvote 1