Suspension/Bondage

likaleather

Hey guys!  Looking for some suggestions.  I'm wanting to get started in some suspension play.  I want to start slowly and safely.  Right now I am just wanting to hook up an el.ectric ceiling hoist attached to a spreader bar.  I am not looking for full suspension but partial suspension meaning having a guy's wrists attached to the spreader bar and the spreader bar just high enough to allow him to stand safely.  

I've searched and can't find any clear suggestions or directions.  Surely someone is here with some experience that can give me some suggestions.

3 hours ago, likaleather said:

Hey guys!  Looking for some suggestions.  I'm wanting to get started in some suspension play.  I want to start slowly and safely.  Right now I am just wanting to hook up an el.ectric ceiling hoist attached to a spreader bar.  I am not looking for full suspension but partial suspension meaning having a guy's wrists attached to the spreader bar and the spreader bar just high enough to allow him to stand safely.  

I've searched and can't find any clear suggestions or directions.  Surely someone is here with some experience that can give me some suggestions.

There are fetish sites out there which will go into some detail about what sort of support is needed in the ceiling to support a human body's weight.

I realize you aren't looking for full suspension, but you should account for that now, anyway. First off, should you want to move in that direction, whatever you have will likely be unable to support that additional weight, so you'll have holes to patch in the ceiling and you'll have to move the setup at least some distance away.

Secondly, what if you have someone standing and attached to the bar, and he passes out (for whatever reason)? His entire body's weight is going to suddenly be pulling on that spreader bar and however it's attached to the ceiling. You don't want it pulling loose, with him collapsing on the floor and being hit by the bar on the way down.

If you have attic access, your best bet is to straddle multiple ceiling joists with a thick board - something like a 2x8 or 2x10 - and mount whatever you need to the underside of that board. The weight will be distributed across multiple joists, and you can use eyebolts going through the board (with washers and nuts) instead of screw eyes that might rip out. But that would involve cutting a hole in the ceiling for the hoist to hang through. Obviously none of this is really feasible if you're renting rather than owning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BootmanLA said:

There are fetish sites out there which will go into some detail about what sort of support is needed in the ceiling to support a human body's weight.

I realize you aren't looking for full suspension, but you should account for that now, anyway. First off, should you want to move in that direction, whatever you have will likely be unable to support that additional weight, so you'll have holes to patch in the ceiling and you'll have to move the setup at least some distance away.

Secondly, what if you have someone standing and attached to the bar, and he passes out (for whatever reason)? His entire body's weight is going to suddenly be pulling on that spreader bar and however it's attached to the ceiling. You don't want it pulling loose, with him collapsing on the floor and being hit by the bar on the way down.

If you have attic access, your best bet is to straddle multiple ceiling joists with a thick board - something like a 2x8 or 2x10 - and mount whatever you need to the underside of that board. The weight will be distributed across multiple joists, and you can use eyebolts going through the board (with washers and nuts) instead of screw eyes that might rip out. But that would involve cutting a hole in the ceiling for the hoist to hang through. Obviously none of this is really feasible if you're renting rather than owning.

A lot of what you said are things I have considered.  It is good to realize my thoughts are legitimate.  The board straddling the joists in order to distribute the weight and using eyebolts instead of screw eyes are great suggestions.  That is the information I need. 

Do you know any sites?  I can't seem to find any.