COVID & PrEP Usage

LoneStarRunner

I'm creating this topic to compile anecdotal data on PrEP usage since the onset of COVID. I remember when the shutdown started many people guessed that STI rates might decline as people were unable to engage in sexual activity. At the same time, most of my friends quit their daily PrEP regimens as they weren't having sex and wanted to save their medication. Recently, though, I've learned that while I have resumed PrEP some of them have yet to do the same while having bareback sex.

1. The first is early 40s and works in the medical profession. He was stressed by the conditions of his work and sex withdrawal led him to a spontaneous anonymous encounter while he was still off PrEP; he had some reservations in the immediate aftermath, but woke the next morning rock hard and couldn't stop thinking about what happened. He has vague intentions of restarting PrEP but still hasn't.

2. A late 20s doctoral student who primarily plays with college twinks with and without his boyfriend. The boyfriend restarted PrEP but he delayed as he felt he was lower risk being mostly a top. He bottomed once recently on a whim, and didn't think about the risk until his libido had receded after getting bred. Claims it was a one-off mistake but not restarting PrEP yet.

3. A former safe sex fanatic in his late 30s who continued using condoms 100% until about 2017, about four months into beginning a daily PrEP regime. He stayed on PrEP until mid-May despite having no sex through March and April. His first encounter he picked an undetectable poz top and planned to pull off before he came, but ended up letting himself get bred. He brought condoms to the second hookup but left them in his pocket and took the load in his ass. After the third time he said he's getting off on the thrill of the risk. This one is the most shocking to me, but I'll admit I've busted a few nuts thinking about him being a shameless cumdump compared to who he was.

Are any of you seeing or hearing about similar behavior? Have any of you started fucking again but stayed off PrEP? I have to confess I've definitely fantasized about quitting PrEP, but for whatever reason, whether it's self-preservation or just fear, got back on before I started having sex again.

• Like 1

I'm sure there will be more of this sort of thing happening, but I doubt it's quantifiable (as you note, it'll be mostly anecdotal).

I hate to see it, because we all know what the eventual result will be. And I get the risk appeal - but I'm still surprised by the number of people who are willing to take that kind of risk with their health when they can actually get 100% of the actual physical sensation of bareback sex with essentially none of the HIV risk. 

I too have fallen into this. I stopped taking my truvada during quarantine Bc I was not sexually active. I have since had 3 encounters where I took “anonymous” cum. I’m not too worried— and the adrenaline rush was insane— but so was the oh so familiar anxiety that comes after. I do intend to go back on prep. 
idk. 

• Upvote 1

I stopped in April or thereabouts because I reckoned I wouldn’t be fucking. Went back on it on two occasions when covid numbers were down, I cracked and needed sex. Took it for a month on each occasion and then stopped again. Currently off it and the way our numbers are currently, I won’t be on it again for a while.

• Moderators

I stopped taking my Truvada in March when we went into lockdown. In late April, a fuckbuddy convinced me to hookup with very little notice. I did the on-demand double dose and have stayed on daily dosing since then. 

• Upvote 1

I too took a PrEP holiday starting in March because I had no intention of having any hook up sex (partner has health issues so I would not put him at any risk for Covid). I did get back on it just recently but forgot to take a dose the other night. 

I understand the attraction of poz sex because it is hot. I recently fucked a sexy guy in Florida who I think may be poz and it was one hot fuck!  

With regard to the original question on this post, I have read several posts on BZ from guys who stopped PrEP for the pandemic but have not gone back on it yet. I understand why they feel that way. I have considered it myself. 

• Moderators

I quit taking PrEP regularly about late April. I've been doing the on-demand dosing (with occasional runs of taking it more regularly) since then. Because of Covid and living in a rural area I've not had enough opportunities for the 2-hour required notice to be any real problem. There was a possibility last week of that happening, but it fell through. TBH, the dumpster fire that has been 2020 in oh so many ways is putting enough strain on my sanity that HIV is the last of my worries. I should be so lucky actually to get laid...

Guest MattDillan

I’ve been off of Prep since late May, think I’d never get laid due to Covid.  I went to Fort Lauderdale in late June and took multiple loads, plus getting loads here in DC and Philadelphia since September. Got tested last week and no bugs or Covid.  Luck maybe?

Guest MattDillan
6 hours ago, viking8x6 said:

I quit taking PrEP regularly about late April. I've been doing the on-demand dosing (with occasional runs of taking it more regularly) since then. Because of Covid and living in a rural area I've not had enough opportunities for the 2-hour required notice to be any real problem. There was a possibility last week of that happening, but it fell through. TBH, the dumpster fire that has been 2020 in oh so many ways is putting enough strain on my sanity that HIV is the last of my worries. I should be so lucky actually to get laid...

Damn I was thinking got a toxxx load! 😉 

18 hours ago, MattDillan said:

I’ve been off of Prep since late May, think I’d never get laid due to Covid.  I went to Fort Lauderdale in late June and took multiple loads, plus getting loads here in DC and Philadelphia since September. Got tested last week and no bugs or Covid.  Luck maybe?

That's awesome man. Keep having fun.

11 minutes ago, Pnpguyny said:

My Dr friend says many doctors think Prep may prevent Covid

Go back and do some research, nothing I've seen in the mainstream has ever related to it directly, but if you will see some of the info that have come out behind the scenes, when looking at the Covid/Corona virus as compared to HIV under the microscopes, the two are very similar, as is also the manner in which it attaches and attacks the cells in the human body. With that in mind, it only stands to reason that it is very possible PrEP may also prevent Covid from attaching and attacking the cells as it does with HIV.

1 hour ago, Homo60 said:

Go back and do some research, nothing I've seen in the mainstream has ever related to it directly, but if you will see some of the info that have come out behind the scenes, when looking at the Covid/Corona virus as compared to HIV under the microscopes, the two are very similar, as is also the manner in which it attaches and attacks the cells in the human body. With that in mind, it only stands to reason that it is very possible PrEP may also prevent Covid from attaching and attacking the cells as it does with HIV.

The latest research which is on aids map.com from the Spanish research indicates that Prep had no effect on COVID 19 and did not prevent or lessen the symptoms of corona virus. In fact, and this is distressing, Prep users had a higher incidence of COVID

Its detailed on AIDSMAP.COM

• Like 1

I did things by the book. Went off PrEP on 27 March and went back on daily regime on 27 May. Took an HIV home test before restarting and didn’t start fucking around until 7 days after restarting. Had a dose of chlamydia in September.