Recent PrEP Changes in the US

Guest MantisShrimp

Guest MantisShrimp

This may not apply to me, but for many of you out there it may. 

Ok, for those of you on PrEP, or looking to start.

As many of you know Gilead has held the patent on Truvada, previously the only approved regiment from PrEP in the US.

As of September 2020 a new generic version has been made avaliable from one company, Teva Pharma. Now known by the generic, active ingredient, name tenofovir disoproxil fumarate. Since there is only one generic on the market the overall, gross sticker price (which very few people actually pay) has not really dropped that much. However, with any insurance, such as that received through the ACA, the price should be down. I've heard of about a 90% drop in price in some cases. Furthermore, like Gilead, Teva does offer co-pay assistance. 

In the next year or two,, as Gilead's patent expires, more generics will come onto the market, which should push the price further down. 

Again, for those of you on PrEP, or looking to start, this is a great thing.

For more info see the article called "First Generic Truvada Now Available in the United States" on poz.com.

Thanks for reading. 

Guest MantisShrimp
2 hours ago, 1000GUYS said:

its funny how in brazil the price of truvada is 40$ a month, in the us 1.900$

That's not true as of last month. The average price people pay has dropped.

Unimportant story:

When I had to change insurance in 2019, I wasn't able to continue my Truvada. I called one insurance company and they told me that I would have to pay $2000 a month for a bottle of it. I told the woman on the phone that I'd rather be poz than pay that price. She was not amused. 

Now I think I took that as a challenge. I've got chaser problems, lol.

5 hours ago, leatherpunk16 said:

Unimportant story:

When I had to change insurance in 2019, I wasn't able to continue my Truvada. I called one insurance company and they told me that I would have to pay $2000 a month for a bottle of it. I told the woman on the phone that I'd rather be poz than pay that price. She was not amused. 

That seems very expensive. Back when I was buying PReP I was paying £80/month in 2018. It's been a while, so I just checked and it's now down to £20-£60/month: [think before following links] https://www.iwantprepnow.co.uk/buy-prep-now/  

Guest MantisShrimp
11 hours ago, AirmaxAndy said:

That seems very expensive. Back when I was buying PReP I was paying £80/month in 2018. It's been a while, so I just checked and it's now down to £20-£60/month: [think before following links] [think before following links] https://www.iwantprepnow.co.uk/buy-prep-now/  

That quote is from 2019. It is very outdated. Furthermore, Gilead offers $7,500 in co-pay coverage, when combined with support from the Patient Advocacy Program the cost could easily be $0. Your £20-£60/month is a lot compared to $0. 

Guest MantisShrimp
17 hours ago, leatherpunk16 said:

Unimportant story:

That was 2019. It’s 2020 now. Prices

can be around $0 if you do just a little research. See my post above. 

Something to bear in mind, since nobody seems to be noting it:

Drug prices around the world vary substantially, with the highest list prices in the United States. In some other countries, the drug manufacturers offer low-cost options because they know nobody's got anywhere near the list prices. In some countries, drug prices are controlled or negotiated by the government. Naturally, the US has the worst system for pricing drugs of any developed first-world nation.

Yes, there are lots of gimmicks that help bring down the cost for many, even most, people. If you have a health care plan that covers prescriptions, for instance (not all company plans do) you're probably in decent shape. There are state-run plans that help low-income people get prescription coverage, and yes, many Big Pharma companies offer discount cards to cover copays. Programs like GoodRx can reduce some costs, too. But lots of people still fall through the cracks.

My partner, for instance, works for a large insurer (rather than mainline health, they offer vision, dental, disability, and other "specialty" forms of insurance). In some ways his benefits are great. But for prescription drugs, his company only pays for generics, and only when ordered through CVS, because they have a special contract. Anything else is completely out of pocket. Copay cards don't help when there's no copay, just a full-price (or GoodRx-discounted) price to pay. 

Guest MantisShrimp
12 hours ago, BootmanLA said:

Something to bear in mind, since nobody seems to be noting it:

Drug prices around the world vary substantially, with the highest list prices in the United States. In some other countries, the drug manufacturers offer low-cost options because they know nobody's got anywhere near the list prices. In some countries, drug prices are controlled or negotiated by the government. Naturally, the US has the worst system for pricing drugs of any developed first-world nation.

Yes, there are lots of gimmicks that help bring down the cost for many, even most, people. If you have a health care plan that covers prescriptions, for instance (not all company plans do) you're probably in decent shape. There are state-run plans that help low-income people get prescription coverage, and yes, many Big Pharma companies offer discount cards to cover copays. Programs like GoodRx can reduce some costs, too. But lots of people still fall through the cracks.

My partner, for instance, works for a large insurer (rather than mainline health, they offer vision, dental, disability, and other "specialty" forms of insurance). In some ways his benefits are great. But for prescription drugs, his company only pays for generics, and only when ordered through CVS, because they have a special contract. Anything else is completely out of pocket. Copay cards don't help when there's no copay, just a full-price (or GoodRx-discounted) price to pay. 

Well, as you said regarding your partner’s situation, it’s a good thing there is a generic for PrEP in the US now and there are more to come in only next 12-24 months. 

• rawTOP pinned and featured this topic
5 hours ago, MantisShrimp said:

Well, as you said regarding your partner’s situation, it’s a good thing there is a generic for PrEP in the US now and there are more to come in only next 12-24 months. 

Agreed. Though waiting 10+ years for generics to be allowed is not, long-term, a workable solution for the cost of medications in the US. 

1. I used to pay $20/month for Truvada, but with the Gilead co-pay card, I haven't paid anything in months.  Each doctor that I've seen has given me the card. 

2. The current doctor I'm seeing switched me to Descovy a few months ago.  She mentioned that because there was a generic equivalent of Truvada available now, my insurance might force me to switch back to the generic Truvada unless there was proof that I needed to be on Descovy for liver problems.  That hasn't happened, yet...but something to look out for.

10 hours ago, barecubtop said:

1. I used to pay $20/month for Truvada, but with the Gilead co-pay card, I haven't paid anything in months.  Each doctor that I've seen has given me the card. 

I’ve been on prep for 4 years now and have never paid a dime. The copay card is a great thing!!!! 
[think before following links] https://www.gileadadvancingaccess.com/copay-coupon-card