"You are only allowed to send 0 messages per day"

Guest Az921

On 10/20/2020 at 9:21 AM, drscorpio said:

Moderator's Note: It is because you are a New Member. Keep posting and participating, and you will be promoted out of that group. 

Also, we were having problems with spammers making accounts to send private spam messages. Currently new members are very restricted in this area for this reason. 

This makes sense now 

On 9/17/2021 at 12:24 PM, BootmanLA said:

Different levels of membership have different restrictions. Some of the lower levels of membership still have limits of how many total posts you can make in a day. Why? I'm assuming it's so that you have to participate a fairly long time before you can post in an unlimited manner, to further weed out spam posters. Keep posting, and you'll find your restrictions lift automatically over time and with participation.

This ritual makes no sense as a method of fighting spam. I'm not a new member anymore.  I have been here a little over two months and posted 68 times.  I'm still on a short leash.  It is not about spam, if it were I'd be clear.  It is something else like a selection process of some type.

1 minute ago, FaggotQueen said:

This ritual makes no sense as a method of fighting spam. I'm not a new member anymore.  I have been here a little over two months and posted 68 times.  I'm still on a short leash.  It is not about spam, if it were I'd be clear.  It is something else like a selection process of some type.

It is not simply a function of time. It's a combination of time, number of posts, number of reactions your posts have gotten (you advance for upvotes, regress for downvotes), the number of different forums in which you post - a number of things go into proving your commitment to interacting here that gradually lengthen your leash, so to speak. 

And the "short leash" IS relative. You might initially be able to only make 10 posts in a day, for instance, and not be able to send private messages or react to posts. After X number of posts, you may be able to post 15 or 20 posts in a day. After Y number of posts, you can post 25 times in a day and react to 10 of other people's posts. And so on. The idea is to keep bad actors under control, in particular with messaging (because that clutters up private message boxes) and reactions (because reaction votes affect other users' reputation scores in the system here).

Two months, in the scheme of things, is a pittance. If two months were sufficient to get past the restrictions, all spammers would have to do is create a bunch of accounts, have them lie dormant for a set period, and then use them to pounce. The reason the details aren't revealed - how many of X and Y and Z move you to a higher level - is to avoid those people gaming the system.

That said, it's the system that is in place. If you really do enjoy the forums, then keep participating and your restrictions will lessen automatically.

13 hours ago, BootmanLA said:

It is not simply a function of time. It's a combination of time, number of posts, number of reactions your posts have gotten (you advance for upvotes, regress for downvotes), the number of different forums in which you post - a number of things go into proving your commitment to interacting here that gradually lengthen your leash, so to speak. 

And the "short leash" IS relative. You might initially be able to only make 10 posts in a day, for instance, and not be able to send private messages or react to posts. After X number of posts, you may be able to post 15 or 20 posts in a day. After Y number of posts, you can post 25 times in a day and react to 10 of other people's posts. And so on. The idea is to keep bad actors under control, in particular with messaging (because that clutters up private message boxes) and reactions (because reaction votes affect other users' reputation scores in the system here).

Two months, in the scheme of things, is a pittance. If two months were sufficient to get past the restrictions, all spammers would have to do is create a bunch of accounts, have them lie dormant for a set period, and then use them to pounce. The reason the details aren't revealed - how many of X and Y and Z move you to a higher level - is to avoid those people gaming the system.

That said, it's the system that is in place. If you really do enjoy the forums, then keep participating and your restrictions will lessen automatically.

What you say sounds reasonable but it is not what it seems to be.   This ritual is a selection process the way you describe it.   As much as I like the site, today is the day I request my account be deleted.   What is the point of playing this drawn out game that has nothing to do with spam. 

On 10/20/2020 at 10:23 AM, rawTOP said:

"New Member" isn't just about when you signed up, it's about whether you've participated in the community. So you ARE still a New Member. It says as much right under your (default) avatar.

please think about letting us message mods, I want to be able to verify with you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2021 at 12:09 PM, LJB666 said:

I’ve earned rank of apprentice and several “badges” been participating, I can only respond to DM’s and doesn’t give me option to like or upvote comments.  It’s also been capping my posts to 1. 

As of today, it appears you've made a grand total of 15 posts, which is (for better or worse) a drop in the bucket. You have to participate a lot more than that to move up to higher levels and gain the privileges (like sending DM's and reacting to posts) associated with those higher levels.

FWIW: here's a screenshot of the badges you've earned thus far, and their explanations:

badges.png.742bc4b5c63141b7861b4fc9a74d1f71.png

As you can see, one is for finishing a week since you joined (which anyone who creates an account gets). One is for making your first post, and one is for making your 10th post - both good things, but not exactly noteworthy. One is for visiting daily for a week (great! keep it up) and one is for starting a new topic - which is also great. But those are still entry-level steps.

When I first joined, the steps were different, but for a few years I had very limited posting ability. I didn't realize it because I didn't even try to post much. Then, suddenly one day, I got into a lengthy discussion with someone and hit a limit - which is when I learned they existed. So I started using my limited number of posts each day to respond when something intrigued me. I answered a few questions that people raised. And almost like magic, the more I participated each day, the broader my access got.

If you stick with it, you should earn more badges soon - there's a one-month badge and a one-year badge, just for staying an active member that long. As you make more posts, you'll get badges for that, too, and your ability to post will expand accordingly.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Twistedperverted said:

I am having the same problem and don't know why. Perhaps you have to be a paid member.

You have to be a member for a certain length of time and participated to a certain level before you can send individual personal messages. According to your post (look to the left-hand side, next to the "speech" balloon), you've only made 8 posts on here, which isn't enough. Keep participating, and you'll eventually get that ability.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.