Acquiring HIV whilst on Prep or PEP... Possible?

Guest Az921

Just curious as to whether that's ever happened / if it can etc. I'm curious, as I'm currently on PEP and was fantasising about taking many poz loads then was wondering if it would take or not lol. I'd bet it'd be either impossible or a challenge 

There have been single digit case reports of PrEP failures. PEP can also fail, but I’m not sure if there’s any reliable data on whether that’s a case of it failing to stop the initial infection, or of acquiring another infection while on it. I’d imagine looking at that would be a pretty niche and expensive study. I’m open to correction though.

Since you’re taking PEP, I assume you don’t want HIV. I wouldn’t go assuming you’re bullet proof on it.

subBottomKink is correct: there HAVE been a handful of documented cases of PrEP failing to protect against HIV infection, but there are very few details available (ie was the infection a particularly strong strain, did the person who converted take on several highly toxic men, or whatever). 

PEP works, but not with the efficacy of PrEP, and because they're blasting your system to try to eradicate anything you may have picked up, I suspect it's worse on your system than simply being on PrEP would be, unless you're one of the handful of people who have issues tolerating daily PrEP. 

It's not the kind of thing I would waste time worrying about. Get on PrEP, make sure you take it faithfully, and relax and enjoy. If you're relying on PEP after possible exposure, you're playing Russian Roulette, although with a gun that has lots of chambers and only a few bullets. It's still not a good bet.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest hungandmean
On 11/4/2020 at 3:32 PM, Az921 said:

Just curious as to whether that's ever happened / if it can etc. I'm curious, as I'm currently on PEP and was fantasising about taking many poz loads then was wondering if it would take or not lol. I'd bet it'd be either impossible or a challenge 

There was one case here locally that made the news. The guy attended a sex party, all weekend long, multiple partners and meth was involved. He became positive. The news said that the person who infected him may have had a rare strain of the virus and that drugs/alcohol likely played a part. If you're concerned about your risk of transmission i'd suggest only playing with dudes who are recently tested, or who have undetectable viral loads.