Words and their meanings in profile text

AirmaxUK

When browsing sites like NKP or BBRT you sometimes see terms or phrases in use that have for me unclear meaning - some of them on here get auto replaced with "[banned word]"

For me these terms are a little vague: maybe the point of their use is to start a conversation. 

But some of them make me reticent, as they could mean anything - and I'd rather not associate with someone who's definition is something that could result in a stretch in prison and being put on the sex offenders register. 

So, is there an unwritten collective understanding of these terms? 

Does their meaning change when spelled with numbers? (I can't imagine it's done to fool filters as these terms aren't banned - and disguising them makes it hard to search for them)

Also interesting does their meaning change US vs British English? 

Here are some examples and what they conjure up in my (British) mind as a meaning... 

• Raunch -  unwashed, sweaty, pheromones, unwashed socks/underwear, man smells but not "Dirty" as defined below.
  • Dirty - could be brown, yellow and/or cock cheese - rarely means mud (a shame!)
  • Dirty load - spunk that contains one or more infectious STDs. 
  • Sleazy - darkrooms, cruising, restrooms/bathrooms, orgies. 
  • Dark - Satanism, Rituals, Occult. 
  • Pervert - Predatory, stalking, older.
  • Extreme - if you took the a group of guys into whatever it is, then only the top 10% would take it this far. 
  • [banned word] (and not the Boy George musical) - something you wouldn't want your colleagues, friends or family to know about because it would cause outrage.
  • Fetish - being turned on by specific item(s) of clothing or object(s). 
  • Breed - used to think this was about gifting/chasing but it seems to be general term for bareback
  • Pig - generic term meaning any of the above may apply. Used by tops and bottoms. 
  • Any others?

Be interesting to see if you agree???

(edited because of banned words on here)

Edited by AirmaxAndy
  • Upvote 1

In general I think you've accurately described these terms. You hit on what I consider a common misconception - breeding is indeed about barebacking, especially no-pull-out barebacking. If you breed a mare to a stallion, you hope there will be a pregnancy, but there's no guarantee; the key thing is the delivery of semen. But the mare might be infertile or the stallion sterile. In HIV gifting/chasing terms, the top might be toxic, undetectable, or negative, corresponding to the potent/sterile condition of the stallion; the bottom might be on PrEP or immune, or negative and receptive.

I'd argue perhaps that "pervert" covers a much wider swath of interests and behavior, much like "kink". Both terms describe, to me, stuff that a basic vanilla kind of person would at least raise an eyebrow at. I think also "extreme" might be an even smaller subset than 10%, but I suppose that's more of a personal judgment call.

Lastly, I think there's a lot of overlap between raunch and dirty, with most of what you describe as "dirty" actually fitting comfortably into "raunch", as used on this side of the pond. If anything, though, I'd say you have the words backwards as they're used here (though certainly you may be spot on for the UK): raunch is the "nastier" stuff, dirty is the "sweaty/man smells" stuff.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AirmaxAndy said:

When browsing sites like NKP or BBRT you sometimes see terms or phrases in use that have for me unclear meaning - some of them on here get auto replaced with "[banned word]"

For me these terms are a little vague: maybe the point of their use is to start a conversation. 

But some of them make me reticent, as they could mean anything - and I'd rather not associate with someone who's definition is something that could result in a stretch in prison and being put on the sex offenders register. 

Does their meaning change when spelled with numbers? (I can't imagine it's done to fool filters as these terms aren't banned - and disguising them makes it hard to search for them)

Here are some examples and what they conjure up in my (British) mind as a meaning... 

• Raunch -  unwashed, sweaty, pheromones, unwashed socks/underwear, man smells but not "Dirty" as defined below.
  • Dirty - could be brown, yellow and/or cock cheese - rarely means mud (a shame!)
  • Extreme - if you took the a group of guys into whatever it is, then only the top 10% would take it this far. 
  • [banned word] (and not the Boy George musical) - something you wouldn't want your colleagues, friends or family to know about because it would cause outrage.
  • Breed - used to think this was about gifting/chasing but it seems to be general term for bareback
  • Pig - generic term meaning any of the above may apply. Used by tops and bottoms. 
  • Any others?

(edited because of banned words on 

Fascinating topic Andy. The meaning of words - and their interpretation - is important, especially online.

I must admit that “breeding” has always confounded me as I always thought it meant pozzing. Or at the very least that the top is poz, either on or off meds. But I now realise its meaning for many encompasses bareback in general. 

One I forgot: the shortened form of Pervert, which I can't write on here because it is a banned word. 

Does the shortened form have a different meaning to the full length form (pervert) which would explain why one is banned but the other not?

14 hours ago, BootmanLA said:

In general I think you've accurately described these terms. You hit on what I consider a common misconception - breeding is indeed about barebacking, especially no-pull-out barebacking. If you breed a mare to a stallion, you hope there will be a pregnancy, but there's no guarantee; the key thing is the delivery of semen. But the mare might be infertile or the stallion sterile. In HIV gifting/chasing terms, the top might be toxic, undetectable, or negative, corresponding to the potent/sterile condition of the stallion; the bottom might be on PrEP or immune, or negative and receptive.

I'd argue perhaps that "pervert" covers a much wider swath of interests and behavior, much like "kink". Both terms describe, to me, stuff that a basic vanilla kind of person would at least raise an eyebrow at. I think also "extreme" might be an even smaller subset than 10%, but I suppose that's more of a personal judgment call.

Lastly, I think there's a lot of overlap between raunch and dirty, with most of what you describe as "dirty" actually fitting comfortably into "raunch", as used on this side of the pond. If anything, though, I'd say you have the words backwards as they're used here (though certainly you may be spot on for the UK): raunch is the "nastier" stuff, dirty is the "sweaty/man smells" stuff.

I may be wrong about the raunch/dirty thing - it would be interesting to get some more opinions on that from this side of the pond. 

I think my interpretation comes from it's use on GayRomeo which is a predominantly mainland Europe site which has a yes/no option for "dirty" and mostly this means into yellow and sometimes brown. However I will say since Romeo is based in Berlin, this was likely translated to English from German, so it may have been lost in translation. 

I agree about breeding... I always thought that 'breeding' was no-pull-out bareback with the intent of passing on something from the top to the bottom. My sense is that it now is used to describe any bareback when the top cums in the bottom regardless of status or intended outcome. Gifting/Chasing seems to be the term used for that now, although not very common to see someone openly advertise as a gifter in places other than here. 

• Like 1

On 11/22/2020 at 3:50 AM, AirmaxAndy said:

One I forgot: the shortened form of Pervert, which I can't write on here because it is a banned word. 

Does the shortened form have a different meaning to the full length form (pervert) which would explain why one is banned but the other not?

I think the shortened version often (not always, but often) is used to refer to sex with underaged persons, hence why it's banned here. 

9 hours ago, BootmanLA said:

I think the shortened version often (not always, but often) is used to refer to sex with underaged persons, hence why it's banned here. 

Thanks... I never knew that! 😱 

my experience, more and more, is that many of the words we use can get us in the ballpark (as to their meaning), but i find i have to as for clarification if i want to be sure.  i'm on a couple of BDSM discussion forums that are open to everyone, but the primary population is straight.  i've learned a ton about how the straight and gay communities differ in their use of words.  So much of this stuff has individual nuance, but here's a few more.

Top/Total Top- penetrator both oral and anal, does not get penetrated either way, has no interest in cock

Top versatile- primarily a penetrator, but will take cock anally on occasion, and (often seems to me) will suck, but will not take it up the ass

versatile- can go either way, Top or bottom, but in my experience, most guys using the identifier "versatile" would fit more in "versatile bottom"

bottom versatile-primarily takes cock, but will fuck on occasion and likes getting their cock sucked, touched

bottom/total bottom- only wants to be penetrated, usually anally, but also orally. doesn't want their cock touched

Dom- wants to be in control (usually sexually), call the shots... this definition can go on for weeks and is (i think) mostly individually defined

Sub- wants to be controlled (usually sexually), have a Dom call the shots... this definition can go on for weeks and is(i think) mostly individually defined

isnta Dom- wants to be in control with little or no input or communication with a 'sub' 

insta sub-  will submit to control with little or no input or communication with a 'dom'

On 11/21/2020 at 3:00 AM, AirmaxAndy said:

• Any others?

Raunch to me is often code for "scat."  But i have found it also includes a lot of what you list, "unwashed, sweaty, pheromones."  i'd add spit to the list

i do not see the word "dirty" used as much, but i have found it often is code for "scat" as well. 

Pig, i agree with your take on that one. 

17 hours ago, BootmanLA said:

I didn't realize this when I first moved to the US. In my home country p3rv and p3rvy was more associated with looking with sexual interest or intent. Someone might say "What at you p3rving at?" or "You only go to the beach to p3rv."

I'll note that Fetish seems way too narrow if it refers to only clothing or objects. If I have an MPREG fetish or a cum fetish, there is no clothing or object involved, yet both are fetishes. The more clinical term, paraphilia, is much closer to how I think it should be scoped (source: Wikipedia): 

"Paraphilia (previously known as sexual perversion and sexual deviation) is the experience of intense sexual arousal to atypical objects, situations, fantasies, behaviors, or individuals." 

The wiki entry also brings up the arbitrary nature of what is considered atypical in this context. Worth a look.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the post which is helpful as I’ve been confused by some terms and abbreviations used in some profiles. Two that I’ve come across in certain twitter profiles are ‘DL’ and ‘poly’. 

DL, sometimes expanded to ‘Down low’, appears to be - as I discovered from the Urban Dictionary - what used to be referred to as straight-acting. It seems likely to be more commonly used in the US and in subcultures following US slang closely. I came across the term frequently in profiles also described as poly but infrequently anywhere else. Poly in these self-referencing profiles, I’m pretty sure, refers to Polynesian and young Polynesian guys like to use US slang it seems. Where I live one would not call someone else, or at least not someone in your peer group, ‘poly’ as that would seem disrespectful. In this instance the urban dictionary seemed a bit off base as it seemed to suggest poly would mean polyamory. 

"Down low" is not so much "straight acting" as it is "publicly presenting as straight and not acknowledging that one is gay except in the most discreet circumstances."

Down low guys lie about being straight, often date women publicly or are married, and seek dick or ass on the side, always trying to keep it secret so the girlfriend/wife/employer/buddies don't find out. Hence the term "on the down low" or "on the DL". They're the sort who freak out if a gay person acknowledges them in public because they're terrified someone might discover they take it up the ass.

"Straight-acting" guys can be similar, but what most seem to mean is that they look down their noses at gays who enjoy fashion, decor, or anything else traditionally/stereotypically associated with being gay. "Straight acting" guys will, if pressed, admit to others they're gay, but they would insist that nobody would ever know if they didn't tell them. (ANNOUNCER'S VOICE: Except they can.)

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic in your final sentence, but yes, in the US at least, "poly" is indeed short for polyamory. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/21/2020 at 6:00 AM, AirmaxAndy said:

• Any others?

I like reading threads like this since these definitions sometimes change regionally and there's usually something I hadn't heard before. There's also a good bit of cross-over between terms, plus, most sites sensor what can be put on a profile so that may require a little creativity if you want to hint as some particular interest. All that combined make finding a concrete definition somewhat difficult. Here's how I define a few of the terms you listed:

• Raunch -  involves body excretions and waste. (There are 3 P's and 3 S's: pee, poo, puke, sweat, spit, and snot)
  • Filthy - unwashed and sweaty. Can refer to body or gear.
  • Grunge - Also unwashed but with the addition of dirty, mud, and oil.
  • Dirty - a generic catchall that could mean anything that's not vanilla depending on the site. (Some sites ban any mention of raunch so on those sites the closest term may be dirty)
  • Pig - Insatiable. Into quantity over quality.
  • Pervert - Corrupting influence. Could be voyeur, exhibitionist, or predator.
  • Breed - Cum in the hole after a long fuck. With a good breeding, the top will stay inside as long as possible to prevent the load from leaking out. This may lead to a second fuck.
  • Like 1