Covid Vaccination, are you?

DarkroomTaker

lol no. i dont even get the flu vaccine. i had the rona last week and it honestly felt like the flu. i had a migraine and a fever for a few days followed by a couple of days of runny nose, and then 2 weeks of low grade fevers. like it would never go to 100 but work wouldnt let me back until i could go 24 hours without a fever or fever reducer.

honestly 7/10 wouldnt mind getting again so long as i get covid pay and another 3 weeks off from work next time

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, putitinmecoach said:

lol no. i dont even get the flu vaccine. i had the rona last week and it honestly felt like the flu. i had a migraine and a fever for a few days followed by a couple of days of runny nose, and then 2 weeks of low grade fevers. like it would never go to 100 but work wouldnt let me back until i could go 24 hours without a fever or fever reducer.

honestly 7/10 wouldnt mind getting again so long as i get covid pay and another 3 weeks off from work next time

You're young and probably neg. Unless you have other issues basically the flu to you. 

Critical care nurse here with about 1000 hours of direct Covid patient care experience.  More than enough  first hand experience to know i do not want the disease and would rather take my chances with a vaccine than the disease.  

i've had both vaccines, my only known side effect was a sore arm for <24 hours. my peers that i work with have had similar experiences. Some, a minority, have experienced other side effect like head ache, malaise, etc. that they desribe as coming on quickly, and departing just as quickly after <24 hours.  This is all anecdotal, subjective information.

i took the vaccine, not because i believe it's perfect or a panacea, but because it's the best defense we have so far against Covid.  

i am chagrinned by the number of people with no science background who think they can read a few internet articles and conclude they know enough to not only debate with, but somehow believe they know more about this than people who do this stuff for a living.  i sort of get it. This can effect you personally, but so can catching the disease.  But don't fool yourself, that is an emotional decision, not one based on evidence or knowledge and understanding.  Most of us would not think of questioning or debating a rocket scientist about whether or not a rocket will fly, but as complex as the human body is, some seem to think a google search will inform them enough to question and debate not just one micro biologist, but a majority of healthcare scientists (it's not just one person involved in making and approving a vaccine, or even a few).

i know this comes hard to some, but when it comes to vaccines, most of us will exercise a degree of trust or distrust, not informed understanding.  One cannot learn things like microbiology and physiology after reading a few articles, these are disciplines that take years to become expert in.  Most do not understand rocket science and most do not understand microbiology. We stand more chance of getting seriously injured in a car accident than we do taking a vaccine, yet we do not think twice about trusting the engineer who designed our car, jumping into it daily and going full speed ahead. 

The thing about vaccines is they work best when used as a group vs individually.  i get a flu vaccine every year. Lately flu vaccines have only been about 20% effective, which are lousy odds when you look at it as an individual. But if millions of people get the vaccine, that 20% becomes a significant number.  Getting a vaccine is not just a personal choice, it's a human choice, a social choice. It's not an "it's all about me" decision.  It's about all of us as a group. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, tallslenderguy said:

The thing about vaccines is they work best when used as a group vs individually.  i get a flu vaccine every year. Lately flu vaccines have only been about 20% effective, which are lousy odds when you look at it as an individual. But if millions of people get the vaccine, that 20% becomes a significant number.  Getting a vaccine is not just a personal choice, it's a human choice, a social choice. It's not an "it's all about me" decision.  It's about all of us as a group. 

And that 20% success rate is primarily due to the fact that there are so many strains of flu (which require different vaccine components), and vaccine manufacturers have to project - with varying degrees of success - which ones will be circulating months from now, when the bulk of flu shots will actually be administered. In years when the projected flu variants are in fact the ones that end up in widespread circulation, vaccination prevents a huge number of cases. But even when they miss the mark, the reduction in caseloads is significant and helpful for keeping our health care system from being overwhelmed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We are not going to get out of this unless there’s mass vaccine take up. At this stage, various covid vaccines have been given to millions of people worldwide. They’re safe.

If you want the world to go back to normal, without it taking years and without needless suffering and death for millions of people, please take a vaccine when offered one.

It’s not about you as an individual. We sink or swim together on this one.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Had my first shot today. Apart from a dull ache in my arm and a slight fuzziness in the head (actually a bit of a euphoric trippy feel, if I’m honest) that’s it. But I feel good in knowing that I’ve done the right thing for myself and for everyone else. For me, it was a no brainer. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Moderators

Friday, we were forecast to have an ice storm, but it ended up being just a little too warm for ice to accumulate. Lots of people who had appointments to get vaccinated by our local hospital canceled that morning fearing the weather, so the hospital had 30 doses that had been thawed had to be used that day. I was on the waiting list through the university where I teach, so I got one of those doses. My arm was sore for a couple of days, and I was a little out of it Friday afternoon. Other than that I have had no side effects. I am scheduled for my second dose next month. 

• Like 2

I probably will, but will wait until we have the borders open to international travel again. not much covid in Australia, so the urgency isn't there. I'll count myself lucky to be able to wait and see how the various vaccines perform in other parts of the world.

and which one results in the Zombie Apocalypse

3 hours ago, AirmaxAndy said:

Got the call today... I'm getting my vaccine shot tomorrow - couldn't believe they got around to me so quickly: I was convinced it'd be Late March at the earliest. 

They’ve really done a terrific job in rolling it out, haven’t they? I was so pleased for you when you texted earlier. Like you, I was expecting mine to be another couple of months. 

On 2/16/2021 at 7:11 PM, AirmaxAndy said:

Got the call today... I'm getting my vaccine shot tomorrow - couldn't believe they got around to me so quickly: I was convinced it'd be Late March at the earliest. 

So, I had the Pfizer shot. Very impressed with the vaccination centre and how it was organised - so efficient. If only the rest of the NHS was like that! I didn't get any aches or anything in the arm it was injected in. Felt low on energy that evening and the next day - back to normal today, I think. Waiting for the call for the follow up shot. 

In practice it doesn't change much in day to day life, as the rules are still in place, but it does give a little more peace of mind, especially for when lockdown begins to lift. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RawPlug said:

I notice today that some guys locally are adding “vaccinated” to their online profiles. 

I think it is a good idea. May be a clue they're really looking to meet rather than make their keyboard sticky. 

• Like 2

Just now, AirmaxAndy said:

I think it is a good idea. May be a clue they're really looking to meet rather than make their keyboard sticky. 

I can see that. If Boris brings in vaccine passports, we might have to show those to hook-ups in the future...😂