Prep and psyllium husk

I've read here and there that psyllium husk could possibly interfere with prep if taken at the same time. It does make sense if you think about it, but do we have actual medical opinions or is it just hearsay?

While we're at it, when do you take your psyllium husk in the first place? Before, during, after meals, all the above? 

• Moderators
On 2/10/2021 at 10:37 AM, bluewind said:

I've read here and there that psyllium husk could possibly interfere with prep if taken at the same time. It does make sense if you think about it, but do we have actual medical opinions or is it just hearsay?

While we're at it, when do you take your psyllium husk in the first place? Before, during, after meals, all the above? 

If you do a search on psyllium and drug interactions, you will get several sources that say different things. There are a few meds (insulin in many forms for example) that have known interactions. It would seem that it hasn’t been studied in depth, but most doctors think it could be an issue for all meds. 

I keep a bottle on my desk at work. I try to take it sometime in the middle of my day. That keeps it far away from the meds I take after breakfast and at bedtime. 

• Upvote 1

I do have exactly as drscorpio above. The psyllium husk I take gives a window of time on the bottle when it’s not recommended to take medications (though as I recall it was aimed more at painkillers and things because it makes it take longer for them to go into effect). And yeah, just keep a bottle handy and take them at lunch or with a snack. On weekends I pretty much take them anytime I eat (and that wouldn’t affect my meds), haven’t had issues with bloating and it makes my butt so quick and easy to clean out whenever any top wants to come by and fuck it.

I would say forget about the psylium husk.  Over the  the  past  few years the  best plan which makes cleanout a breeze  ( a few  minutes with a water bulb) until clear . ( And I've been doing it for 2  years, even when I don't bottom because it gives  me regular,  soft, large, effortless BM's  .

It's also a lot cheaper and more effective than psyllium:

1/2 cup wheat bran  Bob's red mill or bulk brand ( which is 12 grams of fiber) with 1 cup of raisin bran ( 8.5 grams of fiber) and 1 teaspoon of ground flaxseed ( about 2- 3 grams fiber. Add soymilk ( you can use any milk you wish) probably about 1 1/2 cups  of milk to moisten the cereal and bran ( 3 grams of fiber in soymilk )  and eat for breakfast or later. in the day. ( I just had my daily bowl earlier) A total of more than 25 grams of mostly insoluble fiber , gives a great viscous lining to rectum. Makes cleanout fast and truly has made getting fucked so much easier, no hemmorhoids,  no tarry hard to wash out stools, great BM's.  For me, a life changer.

• Upvote 2

psyllium is pretty cheap at a big box store like costco. I get two big bottles for around $16.   Take 3 capsules in the morning, 3 after lunch, and 3 after dinner.   I've wondering about it absorbing meds since it does water and gunk in the GI tract.    So I take my prep before bed and seems to work fine.

Guest takingdeepanal

I sprinkle four heaped tablespoons of psyllium husks and chia seeds on my cereal every morning. Not on PrEP at the moment, due to our state going in and out of lockdown (which means that I can't travel interstate to the guy I promised my hole to for the first time since Easter 2019 - I told him it'll be just like fucking a virgin).

Guest rookie6969
3 hours ago, GoingEasy said:

I would say forget about the psylium husk.  Over the  the  past  few years the  best plan which makes cleanout a breeze  ( a few  minutes with a water bulb) until clear . ( And I've been doing it for 2  years, even when I don't bottom because it gives  me regular,  soft, large, effortless BM's  .

It's also a lot cheaper and more effective than psyllium:

1/2 cup wheat bran  Bob's red mill or bulk brand ( which is 12 grams of fiber) with 1 cup of raisin bran ( 8.5 grams of fiber) and 1 teaspoon of ground flaxseed ( about 2- 3 grams fiber. Add soymilk ( you can use any milk you wish) probably about 1 1/2 cups  of milk to moisten the cereal and bran ( 3 grams of fiber in soymilk )  and eat for breakfast or later. in the day. ( I just had my daily bowl earlier) A total of more than 25 grams of mostly insoluble fiber , gives a great viscous lining to rectum. Makes cleanout fast and truly has made getting fucked so much easier, no hemmorhoids,  no tarry hard to wash out stools, great BM's.  For me, a life changer.

Psylium husk and your breakfast ritual are essentially the same in function.  Both are ways to get soluble fiber into your body.  They probably cost about the same and give you similar amounts of soluble fiber.  The only difference is if you aren't into eating wheat bran or oatmeal every day psylium husk is an  effective and easy way to get that soluble fiber.  Ideally, you should probably do both, because a grown man is supposed to take in 38g of fiber a day, which is a lot.

1 hour ago, austin_submale said:

Why has no one told me about psyllium before this?

Psylium husk is the main ingredient in Metamucil, which you have probably heard.

I read an article a few years ago about Pepto interacting with Truvada.  I asked my doctor about it, and he said there has been no data indicating an interaction, but if I were worried I should take the medications at opposite times of day.  When I started taking psylium husk I read about the interactions with medications on the label.  It says don't take medications within 2 hours before or after taking psylium, which seems easy.  If you take one in the morning, take the other at night, or vice versa.  Ultimately, all your are taking in is soluble fiber which is the same as eating a bunch of fruit or oatmeal so it shouldn't be an issue, but to be safe just take it at the opposite part of the day your take your medication. 

Thanks everyone for the answers. I'm aware of metamucil as it's been my favorite source of psyllium husk until the price skyrocketed all of sudden. Tried pills from a very popular brand but for some reason the effects have been quite subdued, I'm not sure why but loose psyllium works better than pills for me. I've bought bran, chia and flaxseed and will give it a try. Definitely cheaper and healthier than the alternatives. 

Being a dedicated bottom takes so much effort! Tops should be way more grateful.

• 2 weeks later...

A big thanks to everyone and especially the above user who recommended chia and flaxseed. Chia in particular, incredibly effective, cheaper than psyllium, no side effects, highly recommended.