Block Users? Protect Community.

I am concerned with regard to my profile and what I am sharing, gallery, info etc.

I am ok with registered people on this site, what I do not feel comfortable is with the amount of guests there are on here. I counted 249 today with 351 on the site and alot were looking at profiles of users.

Whats strange is, Guests can look at our profiles, gallery etc, yet when I click on their profiles it does not let me. No information at all.

I think it is all one sided and I would like to be able to lock down my profile, gallery, posts etc to non registered guests or guests in general.

How can this be done please?

Many thanks

Edited by DarkroomTaker
Typo
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

• DarkroomTaker changed the title to Block Users? Protect Community.
  • Moderators

Moderator's Note: The reason you cannot view a Guest's profile is that they do not have one. That isn't created until they register. For the rest, we will have to wait to hear from @rawTOP. I do not know how that could be done. 

8 hours ago, Guest Cunt Waffle said:

If you're so fucking concerned about people viewing your profile, then why even have a profile? 

Can I ask politely, why you hide behind not having a profile? 

Why you think its ok to respond like you have?

Why I cannot respond to your message above in a private message to you,  oh you dont have a profile registered to respond to.

Anyway, I wont be getting into anymore conversation with a ghost writer.

• Like 1

• Administrators

The term "guest" is used in a few instances.

First, anyone browsing the site who's not logged in will show as a "guest". These are real people who may or may not be members. They do not have the ability to post on the site, except in the Tips & Tricks section. They're allowed to post there because it may be a case were a member is having problems logging in and that's the best way for them to get to the bottom of their problem.

Second, "crawlers" / bots will show up as a guest (because they don't log in). Googlebot and Bingbot are two examples, but there are others.

Third, when accounts are deleted their old posts will show up as "Guest TheirOldProfileName". These people aren't on the site any more.

At the core of the original question seemed to be the fact that large parts of the site are open to the public and anyone can see the content in that area. That's just the nature of the site. If you're not comfortable with that, then don't join the site. If it's particularly access to your profile page that's bothering you, simply don't put personal information in your profile. Use a handle you don't use elsewhere, etc. Also, never assume just because you posted in a members-only section of the site that your post will stay members-only since it may be moved to another part of the site that's open to the public. Also, in a few years the content on the site will be moved onto new sites that I'm developing. Things that are currently members-only may be public on those new sites. The biggest example of this is the poz fetish content - it will be moved to PozPigs.com and made public.

On 3/3/2021 at 2:47 PM, DarkroomTaker said:

I am concerned with regard to my profile and what I am sharing, gallery, info etc.

I am ok with registered people on this site, what I do not feel comfortable is with the amount of guests there are on here. I counted 249 today with 351 on the site and alot were looking at profiles of users.

Whats strange is, Guests can look at our profiles, gallery etc, yet when I click on their profiles it does not let me. No information at all.

I think it is all one sided and I would like to be able to lock down my profile, gallery, posts etc to non registered guests or guests in general.

How can this be done please?

Many thanks

Darkroom Taker: I  read your post the other day and thought about it.  And at risk of sounding contrary, there may be something else going on with the notable  numbers of guests , and it may not be nefarious. 

Confession: I have been a dedicated reader of BZ since 2016, and for years enjoyed your posts , and Darkroom Taker I ( still fantasize about bending you over, with a little benign  play with my used underwear in your mouth  until you squeel  like the pig you are until I cum in your ass), and also enjoyed many other writers including Wood, BBZH, Tommy Tank, Dr. Scorpio,, Bareback fliprlop , and a host of others, several times a week with delight.

My point: I was always under the cover of an anoymous guest and had no nefarious purpose aside from learning and enjoying the dedicated community here. Finally last month, I decided I didn't care who read my salacious drivel, or rambling comments, or who saw my cock flop  out of my trousers and have posted over 50 comments and more than 3 stories ( and you may be thinking, please Going Easy , go back to guest status so we don't have to look at your incessant posts and  your need for  us to constantly baby sit your horny ass).

My point: Maybe alot of those hundreds of guests are really thinking about becoming a part of this dedicated community of smart talented tumescent folks, but are still a little tentative.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, seaguy said:

Some people fear registering for sites that have adult content or [banned word] content because of hacking. The hack of the Ashley Madison site really scared people.

But all that takes is a bit of common sense. Don't use your usual (and definitely not your work) email address or your real/full name. Be careful what identifying information you provide.

It's not really rocket science.

Edited by sluttony
  • Like 2

• Administrators
5 hours ago, sluttony said:

But all that takes is a bit of common sense. Don't use your usual (and definitely not your work) email address or your real/full name. Be careful what identifying information you provide.

It's not really rocket science.

Good points. That said, nothing is foolproof. Members should always think about what information they're putting out there. Making most of this site open to Google drives home that point. On the security side I do what I can. I implemented HTTPS before most other sites. I encrypted personally identifiable data "when at rest" before the vast majority of other sites. I've now set up "HSTS" and CAA DNS records both of which work together to ensure that your ISP or employer can't eavesdrop on what you post here. When ESNI is usable, I'll implement it. I've urged people to use DoH (DNS over HTTPS). And so on… But even with all that, I can't say things are bulletproof.

• Upvote 2

Totally agree with everything you just said RT, and I for one appreciate the hard work (I am fortunate to understand what you've posted there) but ultimately I think some of it comes down to simply users deciding how embarrassed they would be if anyone found out their online habits and behave appropriately.

I always also give the advice that once something is online, it is there forever to all intents and purposes, so think before you post.

Edited by sluttony

I've been thinking this over for a few days and I just wanted to add that I am sure most of the members and guests of this site have no idea of how much work goes into it.

And I am not just talking about controlling the obvious things like posts in the wrong place or the odd disruptive user, or the spammers.

Keeping a website safe from the ground up is a daunting task that takes almost constant vigilance and skill - it's the old adage that RT has to get it right every time but an attacker only has to get it right once to be in and wreaking all kinds of havoc.

Again, I know most people here won't understand RT when he uses the terms he used above but it means he's working his rocks off to keep everyone's data safe and indeed, SSLLABS (part of an IT security vendor called Qualys) score BZ an A+ - that is difficult to get and you have to be doing everything by the book to get it.

So I just want to say a huge thank you for the work he puts in. I'm not blowing smoke/sucking ass (we've disagreed on a few things over the years) - believe me it's a shit ton of hard work.

• Like 2

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.