Negatives (and Positives?) Today

Guest Colour

Guest Colour

Hi guys!

I've looked around many threads and the biggest negatives that seem to be listed are medical bills and stigma. Other than these, what are the effects of medicated HIV? What happens long term if someone who is 20 or 30 gets it, compared to someone who is 50 getting it? Does it, or the medication harm you as the years go on? Does it cause other medical complications?

It feels difficult to find out, the effects seem to even be downplayed by medical websites who seem to want to reassure people that it's not a problem anymore and always say people "live a relatively normal life" like it's not something I should worry about!

Oh and if there are any positive/beneficial elements, please list them! I read somewhere that a user with government healthcare got consistent medical checkups, others noted it encouraged them to change their lifestyle and try to maintain a proper diet and fitness regime. Anything like that!

Thank you!

Edited by Colour
Added bits

Here's the biggest thing: we don't know what the 50-year effect of HAART (Highly Active Anti Retroviral Therapy) will be, because the drugs haven't been around that long to know. Things that have immeasurably small effects with each dose may, over a lifetime, cause significant issues. We just can't know. What we can do is monitor the health of people who are taking HAART and document gradual changes in blood chemistry, which can in turn tell us how other organs are functioning.

For now, we know that the side effects (which vary with the particular kind of medication) are significantly less than the eventual effect of being unmedicated, that is, dying. But that doesn't mean the meds have zero impact on you. Some, for example, are less friendly to kidneys than others, and so people who have any impairment of the kidneys already should be steered away to alternate medications that are not as tough on the kidneys.

And that brings in a point you mentioned; If you have a good health plan, whether it's through an employer, through an individual policy, through the government (Medicare/Medicaid/VA/etc.) or whatever, you're likely to have your HIV doctor want to see you at least twice a year, with complete blood work done each time to monitor all your functioning. It'll help spot things like becoming pre-diabetic (or worse),  or increased creatinine levels, or out-of-whack cholesterol, or high blood pressure. Keeping THOSE things under control can improve your overall health, so yes, in that sense, being treated for HIV can lead to better health outcomes for everything else.

Stigma, unfortunately, isn't something that getting treated can help with, except among those who practice "U=U" and do not fear sex with people who have undetectable viral levels. There's a lot less stigma in certain geographical communities, of course - it's much easier to be poz and undetectable in San Francisco or New York than, say, Peoria Illinois or Ashton, Idaho - but broadly speaking there's less stigma in big cities than smaller ones and small towns, and less stigma near the coasts than inland (bigger cities excepted, as in less stigma in Chicago than Conway SC). But being undetectable means it's easier to avoid talking about it than it was for people who had advanced HIV conditions in the late 80's and early 90's when you couldn't hide anything.

• Upvote 2

Guest Colour
On 3/17/2021 at 10:21 PM, BootmanLA said:

Here's the biggest thing: we don't know what the 50-year effect of HAART (Highly Active Anti Retroviral Therapy) will be, because the drugs haven't been around that long to know. Things that have immeasurably small effects with each dose may, over a lifetime, cause significant issues. We just can't know. What we can do is monitor the health of people who are taking HAART and document gradual changes in blood chemistry, which can in turn tell us how other organs are functioning.

For now, we know that the side effects (which vary with the particular kind of medication) are significantly less than the eventual effect of being unmedicated, that is, dying. But that doesn't mean the meds have zero impact on you. Some, for example, are less friendly to kidneys than others, and so people who have any impairment of the kidneys already should be steered away to alternate medications that are not as tough on the kidneys.

And that brings in a point you mentioned; If you have a good health plan, whether it's through an employer, through an individual policy, through the government (Medicare/Medicaid/VA/etc.) or whatever, you're likely to have your HIV doctor want to see you at least twice a year, with complete blood work done each time to monitor all your functioning. It'll help spot things like becoming pre-diabetic (or worse),  or increased creatinine levels, or out-of-whack cholesterol, or high blood pressure. Keeping THOSE things under control can improve your overall health, so yes, in that sense, being treated for HIV can lead to better health outcomes for everything else.

Stigma, unfortunately, isn't something that getting treated can help with, except among those who practice "U=U" and do not fear sex with people who have undetectable viral levels. There's a lot less stigma in certain geographical communities, of course - it's much easier to be poz and undetectable in San Francisco or New York than, say, Peoria Illinois or Ashton, Idaho - but broadly speaking there's less stigma in big cities than smaller ones and small towns, and less stigma near the coasts than inland (bigger cities excepted, as in less stigma in Chicago than Conway SC). But being undetectable means it's easier to avoid talking about it than it was for people who had advanced HIV conditions in the late 80's and early 90's when you couldn't hide anything.

I see! I guess I'm mostly trying to find out the effects, specifically those that aren't to do with health costs and stigma as that's mentioned a lot elsewhere!

I'm trying to find out if it's really as many posts here, and the health sites present, like it's non issue nowdays as long as you're on meds, by asking specifically about the effects or changes that are not stigma or medical bills/daily medication!

20 hours ago, Colour said:

I see! I guess I'm mostly trying to find out the effects, specifically those that aren't to do with health costs and stigma as that's mentioned a lot elsewhere!

I'm trying to find out if it's really as many posts here, and the health sites present, like it's non issue nowdays as long as you're on meds, by asking specifically about the effects or changes that are not stigma or medical bills/daily medication!

I think it's a case of "we don't know IF there are long-term issues yet" because we haven't had a lot of these single-pill/daily treatments for long enough to know - how would you know if 40 years on a medication will eventually tear up the pancreas, for instance, when the medication itself has only been around for ten years?

We all certainly *hope* that the long-term consequences of decades of HAART treatment are minor to negligible. But until we have enough long-term data, we just won't know. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/17/2021 at 5:03 AM, Colour said:

Oh and if there are any positive/beneficial elements, please list them! I read somewhere that a user with government healthcare got consistent medical checkups, others noted it encouraged them to change their lifestyle and try to maintain a proper diet and fitness regime. Anything like that!

Those who cite the encouragement to better their own health (myself included in this), it should be noted that it's a bit of a retrospective benefit.  I only got the encouragement to do those things after testing poz, rather than chasing the bug for that purpose. 

Not everyone who does get pozzed feels this way, though.  I've also seen guys go full-on into the drug use / PnP scene after becoming poz as well.  

I will say that being poz meant that I qualified for the pre-existing conditions priority group for the COVID jab.  I guess one can call that a "benefit" in some strange way...

Getting diagnosed early, getting on meds , staying stable on meds probably means "normal" outcomes. They seem to know enough by now.

The inconveniences. I have a paranoia around bleeding,  what if I had an accident , a first aider rushing to my aid? I panic.

I adjusted my hobbies. No hard sparring or martial arts that bleed. Again paranoia.

Working in Singapore or Australia is out, as is taking meds to dubai etc.

Medical insurance if you have associated conditions is pricey for holidays.

Everything else is manageable,  its no one's business.

I was diagnosed late. I have made 5 years out from lymphoma , 4/10 don't. 3/10 make 8 years. 6/10 survive 5 years after Multicentric castlemans. I am 5 years out.

Thats a worry.

Chemo made me lose my hearing. My kidneys are deteriorating,  now at 40%.

So possibly the transplant list.

I needed voluntary mental health hospital admission for depression and suicidal thoughts....I came close to throwing in the towel.

That is common.

All  in all. Think very carefully.

You won't know how it will impact you until it happens. I suspect much posted on here is fantasy. Its wank material. 

Prep now gives you options. Given the choice,  I would rather be neg, barebacking on prep.

Give is a few years, monthly injectables,  in a decade I think a cure might be a reality. I don't count my chickens on being around. But hey ho. I should have got tested  each year. It would be far easier now.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1