Alternatives to the old "Spartacus" Travel Guide

AirmaxUK

I know at the moment we can't travel much (#Covid) and with enforced closures the scene is in a state of flux. But it's nice to dream. 

Years back, I used to never go anywhere without my Spartacus book, which listed every bar, club, adult bookstore and gay-friendly business worldwide. That kinda vanished as the internet took over, and while there are some great guides out there that deal with specific places (eg patroc.com in Europe) I wondered if anyone can recommend guides that are US centric or worldwide. I know there are gay travel sites, but they tend to focus on the fluffy twinky places. Particularly I wonder if there is anything that might list the kind of events and places that would appeal to a BZ member... I guess squirt.org has cruising spots. I know there's a site that lists the parties in NYC. But the information is fragmented - it would be nice if it was all in one place - does this exist?

eg: was thinking about perhaps a trip to Sawmill in FL and wondered what else of sleazy interest was nearby?     

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Airmax I still use the Spartacus App. You have to pay a yearly fee but it is not too much and it is updated often and works well.

I also use GayTravel website, which has many cruising Spas/ bars and hotels it. 

finally if you google cruising London it will come up with all these sites and opening hours and if all else fails Squirt website and Cruising which tells you updated sites.

• Like 1

I love this community and forums. I learn something new every-day. I had no idea that "Spartacus" was a gay-guide book or that it had evolved into a smart-phone app (like almost everything). Thanks for sharing! I too am looking forward to being able to travel again soon.

If anyone would like to invite me to their city and whore me-out frat-house style (love those Fraternity X and Sketchy Sex videos) please let me know. I will even bring my cheer-gear in the local sports team colours. LOL

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FunCheerSlut said:

I love this community and forums. I learn something new every-day. I had no idea that "Spartacus" was a gay-guide book or that it had evolved into a smart-phone app (like almost everything). Thanks for sharing! I too am looking forward to being able to travel again soon.

If anyone would like to invite me to their city and whore me-out frat-house style (love those Fraternity X and Sketchy Sex videos) please let me know. I will even bring my cheer-gear in the local sports team colours. LOL

You have an open invite to ATL. 😉 Just bring the outfit in your profile pic and you'll mesh perfectly with UGA Bulldog crowd 🍆💦

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SmoothATLBttm said:

You have an open invite to ATL. 😉 Just bring the outfit in your profile pic and you'll mesh perfectly with UGA Bulldog crowd 🍆💦

Thanks very much!! I will hopefully get to take you up on that one day. I also like how the same colours also apply for the Atlanta Falcons. I don't know if anyone knows this fun little fact - but they refer to the Atlanta Falcons Cheerleaders as "Dirty BIRD"s - so yeah - count me in as a "Dirty Bird" down to help cheer on all those Falcons Fan's hard-ons, AND all the UGA Bull-dogs Fans (woof!) too!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I've used Squirt.org for decades and I really like their Cruising Area listings.

However, I wish Squirt.org suggested rules to people posting on any of the Listings, say, a sauna in Toronto. I would say that more than 70% of the postings are "I'll be there after 5pm", "Thinking of dropping by later on", and on and on.

What's missing and would be of value, are personal accounts of guys who've been to the place. "I was there last night, such and such day, wasn't very busy..." Or, "I had fun in the darkroom but after 11pm when it got very busy". Instead of guys announcing their visit,

On 1/14/2023 at 12:54 PM, hungry_hole said:

I've used Squirt.org for decades and I really like their Cruising Area listings.

However, I wish Squirt.org suggested rules to people posting on any of the Listings, say, a sauna in Toronto. I would say that more than 70% of the postings are "I'll be there after 5pm", "Thinking of dropping by later on", and on and on.

What's missing and would be of value, are personal accounts of guys who've been to the place. "I was there last night, such and such day, wasn't very busy..." Or, "I had fun in the darkroom but after 11pm when it got very busy". Instead of guys announcing their visit,

I used to share your frustration about the replies to postings on squirt. What I've come to realize over time is it gives me a better idea if the location is dead or not. If I'm seeing postings about what action happened, I see it more as jack off material. If I see postings that people are going to it, and even stating times, I have a better idea of whether or not to go, and if it'll be worthwhile. 

On 1/14/2023 at 1:54 PM, hungry_hole said:

Or worse, they post to say that they ended up not going because something came up. 

Like we were waiting at the door all worried!

4 hours ago, Muscledadbod said:

Or worse, they post to say that they ended up not going because something came up. 

Oh yeah, I've read many of these.

14 hours ago, bbinbpark said:

I used to share your frustration about the replies to postings on squirt. What I've come to realize over time is it gives me a better idea if the location is dead or not.

I agree, but I wish more guys would write useful comments from the place itself.

If it's a sauna, once somebody arrives, post information on how crowded the place is, and what type of guys, age, and attitude, even if it's subjective information. If things change or there's some interesting "action" to report, post another comment. Knowing about the place, the mood, the crowd, the dark areas and rooms is what's important and not whether some particular guy shows up or not, or if he'll be late.