A vaccine for HIV/AIDS, would you?

Asking both, negative barebackers & poz barebackers: would you get vaccinated for HIV/AIDS if one were to come available. Of course, I realize that for poz people it's hypothetical, but I think their opinions are very important. 

IMO: it would be foolish for any negative person not to get it should it come available. 

There is currently human trials being done with a vaccine on 16,000 Thai people. [think before following links] https://daily.jstor.org/rv144-the-largest-hiv-vaccine-trial-in-history/

I'm just curious what others here may think and why. (Please keep it friendly.) Thanks

• Like 1

• Moderators

That would depend on its efficacy.

The trial you mentioned was completed 15 years ago (it's not current news), and the efficacy of the combined vaccines used was only 33% as measured in the study. That's not really enough to do all that much to prevent the spread of the virus, only enough to give a false sense of security. IMO.

• Like 1

You say that "for poz it's hypothetical", but the entire premise of your question is hypothetical: IF a vaccine were to become available.

More importantly: a vaccine prevents infection; it doesn't cure, so for a poz person, it's irrelevant (unless HIV started stably mutating more than it already has, and the vaccine prevented infection by a new mutation).

Now if you mean to ask "For poz people, would you have chosen to get vaccinated if one had been available before you converted?", that would be a reasonable question to ask.

• Like 1

I'd wait and see first if it works, and second, what the potential risks are.

Same for any medication I may take, and same for the coronavirus vaccines.

On a side note, I suspect thanks to those we'll see another HIV vaccine attempt in the next decade using mRNA technology.  After all, this is what they were really targeting it toward because if one can develop a vaccine for HIV, then it likely means we can develop a vaccine for any virus.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Phallarchist said:

Yes, of course I would, but I might also be willing to trade it for a highly-effective vaccine against HPV. PrEP might be tolerable in the long term. Anogenital warts and the occasional cancer are not.

There is an effective vaccine against cancer causing strains of HPV, Gardasil. Everyone here should be vaccinated with it.

• Like 2

On 5/15/2021 at 7:08 AM, blackrobe said:

There is an effective vaccine against cancer causing strains of HPV, Gardasil. Everyone here should be vaccinated with it.

I've had it, but it's not studied or approved my profile, etc. I had to go through several doctors to find one that would administer it.

1 hour ago, Phallarchist said:

I've had it, but it's not studied or approved my profile, etc. I had to go through several doctors to find one that would administer it.

It's been broadly studied and is approved for use in over 100 countries. [Research papers] 

Originally recommended for pre-teen girls, over time the people it's been recommended for has expanded to similar aged boys and adults have been added in many countries. Its incumbent on all sexually active tops and bottoms to seek and get the vaccine when they can.  That means free-range breeders and cum dump sluts they breed. 

No, I don't think I will. 

That's because I deeply feel ... * Censored * ... and for basically the same reason I'm not on PrEP now.

To broaden the discussion a bit:
Right now in my country treatment for HIV and STD's is covered by the national health-insurance plan, but PrEP isn't covered so a cynic could state the case that there's a perverse financial incentive here for people to get infected.
There is a trial project through the sexual health centres (local GGD's) where people just pay a symbolic fee but as the budget ran out one can't join that trail anymore.

I'm curious if anyone has refrained from going on PrEP due to low finances, and if that would still stop them from getting vaccinated?

• 4 months later...
On 5/14/2021 at 11:32 PM, BiAggieGuy said:

I'd wait and see first if it works, and second, what the potential risks are.

Same for any medication I may take, and same for the coronavirus vaccines.

On a side note, I suspect thanks to those we'll see another HIV vaccine attempt in the next decade using mRNA technology.  After all, this is what they were really targeting it toward because if one can develop a vaccine for HIV, then it likely means we can develop a vaccine for any virus.

Agreed about HIV and mRNA tech.

Have you gotten a covid jab?

• 2 weeks later...

Injectable PrEP that lasts six months and implantable PrEP that lasts for a year are currently under study.  I would definitely go to a clinic to drop my pants twice a year or pull off my shirt once a year for an implant in my upper arm.  It would be far reliable than trying to remember to take a PrEP pill a day. 

• Upvote 1