Undetectable Question

PozDesire

1 hour ago, PozDesire said:

Please solve a question for me.  I'm Neg & not taking Prep.  If I suck-off or take multiple Poz Undetectable loads could I get infected?

No you cannot undetectable means untransmitable

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PozDesire said:

Please solve a question for me.  I'm Neg & not taking Prep.  If I suck-off or take multiple Poz Undetectable loads could I get infected?

As the last two posts indicate, it is very unlikely, but keep in mind, guys do lie about their status at times, so, if you are really worried about it, you have to be able to find out for sure if they are undetectable or not, before anything progresses.

I've been asked this by guys online a few times.  I don't have any links to scientific data, but I remember reading an article or statement from the NIH.  They said that if you're undetectable you *can not* transmit the virus.

I vaguely remember when this info was first released, I read the chances of being infected by someone who was undetectable was so small, that it was 0%.

• Moderators

Here's a good reference: [think before following links] https://www.niaid.nih.gov/diseases-conditions/treatment-prevention

Undetectable = Untransmissable 
The chance of passing the virus to the partner is "effectively zero." The are a few caveats: the Undetectable person has to have been undetectable for a while - six months usually, they have to still be undetectable (meds do stop working for people from time to time), and they have to be taking their meds regularly.  All that said, poz guys generally watch their health closely because they have to. You probably are safer having sex with undetectable guys. 

You would be even safer if you went on PrEP. No matter how smart or careful you are being, the most (and maybe the only) effective way for a neg bottom to stay neg is to take PrEP. 

• Upvote 3

Same thing here as what drscorpio said.

Undetectable = Untransmissable

As long as the person has been regularly checking up with their ID doctor, and been adhering to their medication regimen, the chances are so low as to be statistically improbably, if not impossible.

According to a few studies out there, I know of only 1 case where there was an HIV transmission between partners with one being positive and one negative. The positive person in question was only recently starting medication days before. Also, of the cases where HIV transmission has occurred between positive and negative partners, when genetic testing of the viral strain occurred, it showed that each transmission was from a different person than the positive patient.

The article below goes into greater detail with links to the studies in question.

[think before following links] https://www.aidsmap.com/about-hiv/undetectable-viral-load-and-transmission-information-people-hiv

And again, like said above, the safest way to prevent HIV with an 'undetectable' partner is to be on PrEP as well, and following the correct dosage regimen. Missing doses and forgetting to take it can allow viral mutations to occur and allow for infection, including medication resistance.

NOTE: I hope it doesn't need said, but PrEP ONLY protects you from HIV. You can still get other things, even from an undetectable partner.

On 5/17/2021 at 11:11 PM, kspozcum said:

NOTE: I hope it doesn't need said, but PrEP ONLY protects you from HIV. You can still get other things, even from an undetectable partner.

Neg/Condom fans rarely ask about other STI.  HIV still scares people. 

In the str8 world, babies scare people. I really wonder how often a man/woman has "the talk" about STIs.  My guess: rarely.  Condoms are mostly used to prevent kids from popping out 9mons later because that's str8 peoples big fear.

Whenever I read such threads I get frustrated with the amount of ignorance people have regarding prep and tasp. Generally the likelihood of hiv infection is difficult but not impossible. To be infected certain conditions like body temperature etc plays an important role. Tasp keeps viral load under 200 to be detected in tests and hence undetectable. Prep keeps virus from multiplying in body cells hence they clear out. Major reason Prep is so much in demand especially for bottoms die to enhanced risk is Hiv is still not curable but manageable and comes with other complications. Other STIS are generally bacterial and easily cured hence many are less concerned about them. But if you are without any protection and making rounds of cruising beats your have exposed to higher risk than being on prep. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I can throw this in:  Undetectable = untransmissable, but while I test undetectable almost every time, if I am sick right before I get the test, sometimes my VL pops just above the threshold, 30 or so.  So I'm especially careful with my partners right after I've recovered from the flu or the like.  (COVID was weird.  COVID killed my T Cells, but the blood test during and right after were both undetectable at the 20 copies level.