Diabetis and poz

As a new bottom taking it bareback, and beeing a diabetic, I´m wondering if any one here has any experience with this combination? I´m thinking if one will effect the other? Please share your experience, if you have any?

15 hours ago, WantingBB said:

As a new bottom taking it bareback, and beeing a diabetic, I´m wondering if any one here has any experience with this combination? I´m thinking if one will effect the other? Please share your experience, if you have 

The weight gain can affect it if your suffering from Type 2. Especially after going on meds and getting to undetectable.  

What type of diabetes do you have? DM1 and DM2 are different. Type one is insulin dependent and means your pancreas doesn't produce insulin, or enough insulin, to keep your blood glucose (BG) at a 'normal' level. Type two is insulin resistance and is caused by fat (not being fat, you can have a normal BMI and have DM2). DM2 is caused by diet and with most people, DM2 can be reversed by diet.  As blkoraltm points out, weight gain does occur with some meds, but since you are neg, meds probably don't factor in. 

i know of no relationship between taking loads and diabetes. 

The one thing I would note in addition to tallslenderguy's comments: if you are on PrEP to remain negative, consult with your physician to see if the particular medication you're taking might or might not interfere with any medication you may be taking for diabetes. While the options for PrEP are more limited than the options for treating HIV, I know that some HIV treatment options are less friendly to diabetic treatment than others. It may be that if there's a conflict, it could be easier to change your diabetes medication (if any) rather than PrEP.

7 hours ago, WantingBB said:

Sorry for not being clear. I´m thinking if poz meds will have impact on insuline or the other way? I´m not on PreP, and not going to be

Some HIV treatments can have an impact on the body's ability to control blood sugar, just as there are HIV medications that can impact the kidneys. These are not universal side effects of the particular medications (that is, one person may have blood sugar issues taking HIVMed A, while another person may not). It's something that an HIV doctor generally monitors as part of your regular testing.

If you are diabetic and taking insulin, in other words, that may limit the number of options your HIV doctor should prescribe for you. But at this point, there should be enough other options that this shouldn't present a problem keeping HIV under control.

Does that answer your question?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BootmanLA said:

Some HIV treatments can have an impact on the body's ability to control blood sugar, just as there are HIV medications that can impact the kidneys. These are not universal side effects of the particular medications (that is, one person may have blood sugar issues taking HIVMed A, while another person may not). It's something that an HIV doctor generally monitors as part of your regular testing.

If you are diabetic and taking insulin, in other words, that may limit the number of options your HIV doctor should prescribe for you. But at this point, there should be enough other options that this shouldn't present a problem keeping HIV under control.

Does that answer your question?

Yes, thank you very much. Hoping to be poz soon then :-)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Now don't take this as a direct quote from me, however I have read in a few places where some doctors believe diabetes is actually more dangerous for the body compared to HIV. The reason that is becoming a popular opinion is because diabetes and the risk of heart attacks and strokes are greatly increased. 

I don't know if true or false or is undecided I'm just saying what I read. Also type 2 and insulin dependant here. Chaser for almost 12 years and still neg so who knows how it effects individuals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Topgun82 said:

Now don't take this as a direct quote from me, however I have read in a few places where some doctors believe diabetes is actually more dangerous for the body compared to HIV. The reason that is becoming a popular opinion is because diabetes and the risk of heart attacks and strokes are greatly increased. 

I don't know if true or false or is undecided I'm just saying what I read. Also type 2 and insulin dependant here. Chaser for almost 12 years and still neg so who knows how it effects individuals.

It's true that diabetes can be a serious problem for people's health, not least because of the effects it has on other organs in the body. I'd question whether it's "more dangerous" for the body (assuming both go untreated), but I'm willing to acknowledge that if nothing else, diabetes is more prevalent and thus affects more people (and if uncontrolled, probably would contribute to more deaths).

That said, if I had insulin-dependent diabetes, I can't imagine wanting to complicate that with chasing HIV unless I had a death wish. 

Guest Chub4fun

As the doctor has warned me, Biktarvy in SOME people, may cause insulin and metformin to be even stronger, or actually be received better by cells, causing low blood sugars. keep that in mind.

1 hour ago, NLbear said:

Does anyone know if PrEP would prevent diabetes medication (i.e. metformin and others) doing its job? Type 2 here.

From what I have been able to find after a quick scan of available research, Truvada (and its generics) do not *appear* to interfere with each other's effectiveness. Instead, it appears that a more likely result is *increasing* the levels of both medications in your system. See: [think before following links] https://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/metformin-with-truvada-1573-0-971-1696.html 

However: I would note that each one, separately, CAN impact kidney function. Taken together, they may accelerate a decline in kidney function - but a good doctor will be monitoring kidney function on both accounts (for prescribing/maintaining PrEP, AND for treatment of diabetes), so he or she should note any change quickly. If by chance you have different doctors prescribing the two medications, make sure each is aware of the other; the doctor handling your diabetes care may find that a different medication will do the job as effectively and with less chance of kidney damage. (It's possible that this impact on kidney function is what results in the increased levels of both drugs, as it's the kidneys that remove a lot of stuff from your system.)

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...