How many strains or sub-types/strains of HIV are there?

5 hours ago, TotalTop said:

How many strains, or types/sub strains of HIV are there? I have read about the Cuban strain that was created by multiple other strains combining and mutating, and also PREP/HIV drug resistant strains of HIV in the Netherlands and France, and "prep failures" in Switzerland, and the UK.

[think before following links] [think before following links] https://time.com/3711260/hiv-strain-cuba/

This is the best explanation I've seen, with the caveat that new strains can develop.

[think before following links] https://www.avert.org/professionals/hiv-science/types-strains

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2021 at 12:23 AM, TotalTop said:

How many strains, or types/sub strains of HIV are there? I have read about the Cuban strain that was created by multiple other strains combining and mutating, and also PREP/HIV drug resistant strains of HIV in the Netherlands and France, and "prep failures" in Switzerland, and the UK.

[think before following links] [think before following links] https://time.com/3711260/hiv-strain-cuba/

Could you please add all documentation?? I've read up (being from the netherlands) and the study into HIV drug resistant strains were done from 1994 till 2002

During the study in the beginning there were 20% suspected hiv drug resistend  by 1998 it was down to 6% and again suspected and decresing. About france it were (positively identified) 2 people in the whole of france. and although the document i get my information from is older (AIDS: July 23rd, 2004 - Volume 18 - Issue 11 - p 1571-1577) the the cuba article (FEBRUARY 16, 2015 3:15 PM EST). So this is all somewhat outdated.

The last HIV monitor report which did research regarding  resistant strains (2018) showed a steady percentage in the "develloped countrys" from 8 to 10% going up to 30% in africa and south america. Withing the develloped countries with 7.9% netherlands is on the right side of 8-10%

If we talk about resistant strains one is not resistent to all HIV drugs but always just 1 particular one. Very little people grow to become resistant it is mostly Aquired when getting pozzedby someone who has recently started using meds.

with this i am not saying we shouldn't keep an eye out but posting this as a global problenor stresor is not true either since the phenomina of drug resistant strains has been around since about 1996/7 a few years after Cart introduction

(PS excuse me I am not a native english speaker

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...