STI home test kits

i received an email promotion today from A4A for a company offering home STI kits.  i think it's a step in the right direction, it does make testing a lot more convenient and confidential, though the cost barrier still exists.  Here's a link to the company A4A Is advertising, i know there are others, thought it would be a worthwhile thread to start and others can identify and list resources. i would love to see my gay brothers chasing health, both physically and psychologically, destigmatizing sex and removing health hazards to connecting.  Instaad of wearing a version of a mask on our cocks, i'd love to see us irradiate the reason for condoms by removing disease as a risk. If we all test routinely, STI's can be dramatically reduced. Not preaching, i just want those i love and care about healthy. To me, healthy is sexy. ❤️

[think before following links] https://www.nurx.com/sti-testing/

• Upvote 1

Accuracy???.. I have seen some stuff recently downgrading the accuracy of home covid tests, + some other tests. 

I am fortunate that I live in Australia.. here our doctors can order all sorts of tests Blood/urine etc + ct scans/mri scans and x rays and they are almost all covered by our Medicare system. People with more than a basic income (eg me) pay a tax levy of 2%.. I get to see what some procedures cost and they are way over the $2000+ that my tax levy cost .

I feel sorry for people in lots of countries who are not in the same situation... it should be a basic right.

• Upvote 2

In The Netherlands all high risk persons (bisexual / gay men, sexworkers or persons from a high risk background country) can be tested and treated totally free by the GGD healtcare. if u are hetero u are just screwed, need to pay all yourself

Edited by Kimberley
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Leather69 said:

Accuracy???.. I have seen some stuff recently downgrading the accuracy of home covid tests, + some other tests. 

I am fortunate that I live in Australia.. here our doctors can order all sorts of tests Blood/urine etc + ct scans/mri scans and x rays and they are almost all covered by our Medicare system. People with more than a basic income (eg me) pay a tax levy of 2%.. I get to see what some procedures cost and they are way over the $2000+ that my tax levy cost .

I feel sorry for people in lots of countries who are not in the same situation... it should be a basic right.

The challenge with Covid tests is collection (i'm a critical care nurse and have collected a lot of these). The most common method of Covid swabbing is nasopharyngeal.  To  get a proper sampling the swab has to be inserted quite deep and turned for 10 seconds on each side. Doing a Covid test to yourself at home probably isn't the best idea for the masses.

The STI tests are pretty standard and are mostly blood and urine samples, however, i think swabs are important with gay guys, and i'd like to see test sets that are targeted to gays with both oral and anal swabs in addition to blood and urine tests. 

8 minutes ago, TNVersGuy said:

The problem I see with this test option is that I only need rectal swab testing for Gonnoreah and Clamydia. That’s only included in the most expensive test kit which also includes HIV testing (I’m already poz). 

Agreed. i was hoping there would be some who have found other options. i know there is more than one company offering STI testing. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/30/2021 at 8:00 AM, TNVersGuy said:

The problem I see with this test option is that I only need rectal swab testing for Gonnoreah and Clamydia. That’s only included in the most expensive test kit which also includes HIV testing (I’m already poz). 

There should be a free clinic or HIV/STD testing organization that offers free testing for STDs for LGBT people.

On 7/30/2021 at 11:02 AM, PupLucca said:

I wouldn’t trust a home test.  Oraquick was giving me false negatives for 5 years.  So yeah I don’t trust them

Were you HIV+ or living with AIDS the entire five years? I was told the saliva tests are not always accurate, or would give false results but this was when they were first developed.  But still I have always done blood tests. Even at HIV testing centers or orgs where they tried to get me to take a saliva test saying it is basically instant and super accurate. I would insist upon a blood test.

Myself and two bisexual ex's have used the ELSA blood sample HIV home test that you give a blood sample on blotter paper, send into a lab and they test your blood sample for HIV.

5 hours ago, TotalTop said:

Were you HIV+ or living with AIDS the entire five years? I was told the saliva tests are not always accurate, or would give false results but this was when they were first developed.  But still I have always done blood tests. Even at HIV testing centers or orgs where they tried to get me to take a saliva test saying it is basically instant and super accurate. I would insist upon a blood test.

Myself and two bisexual ex's have used the ELSA blood sample HIV home test that you give a blood sample on blotter paper, send into a lab and they test your blood sample for HIV.

I’m pretty sure I had it the wihole 5 yrs. I relied on oraquick solely for that tine it wasn’t until I was in a serious car accident that my Dr asked if I wanted a blood test and bingo

4 hours ago, PupLucca said:

I’m pretty sure I had it the wihole 5 yrs. I relied on oraquick solely for that tine it wasn’t until I was in a serious car accident that my Dr asked if I wanted a blood test and bingo

Given your experience with saliva HIV tests, I do not trust them either.

• 3 months later...

"A Rapid Self-Test is done entirely at home or in a private location and can produce results within 20 minutes. You can buy a rapid self-test kit at a pharmacy or onlineexternal icon. The only rapid self-test currently available in the US is an oral fluid test.

A Mail-In Self-Test includes a specimen collection kit that contains supplies to collect dried blood from a fingerstick at home. The sample is then sent to a lab for testing and the results are provided by a health care provider. Mail-in self-tests can be ordered through various online merchant sites. Your health care provider can also order a mail-in self-test for you."

[think before following links] https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/basics/hiv-testing/hiv-self-tests.html