Just started PrEP, how many days i have to wait so the PrEP have effect?

rodoonestandard

• Administrators

Actually, "on-demand" PrEP works well for bottoms. You're basically protected after 2 hours. (If you then take it again every 24 hours until ~48 hours after your last sexual encounter.) This is because the primary risk for bottoms is in your GI tract, and that's where the medicine is immediately after you take it.

But a longer period is needed if you are a top or have a vagina and have vaginal sex. But tops are substantially less likely to get HIV (about 6.5x less risk).

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

I recently got prep but not familiar with use  whst is on demand??  Does it mean your protected 2 hrs after taking. And you tske for 48 hrs as a bottom? i think that's what's rawtop is saying. I am craving  to have bb sex and also tske a poz load  from a very hot poz unmedicated  MAn but want to stay safe 

2 hours ago, oinker said:

I recently got prep but not familiar with use  whst is on demand??  Does it mean your protected 2 hrs after taking. And you tske for 48 hrs as a bottom? i think that's what's rawtop is saying. I am craving  to have bb sex and also tske a poz load  from a very hot poz unmedicated  MAn but want to stay safe 

yes, after 2 hours a double dose u can immediately take raw loads. maybe this pic gives you a better idea how on demand works

ta_march16_prep_timing.thumb.jpg.b3773adff7fe38faa83447680dd41de5.jpg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, oinker said:

I recently got prep but not familiar with use  whst is on demand??  

Hi! I use it on demand for 3 years now. You have to find out the best time for you (breakfast/lunch/Dinner). Always after the  shot with 2 pills I have strange dreams, but after that…..that's it.  Good luck, it is super safe.

4 hours ago, RubberAustria said:

Hi! I use it on demand for 3 years now. You have to find out the best time for you (breakfast/lunch/Dinner). Always after the  shot with 2 pills I have strange dreams, but after that…..that's it.  Good luck, it is super safe.

Its totally safe but the side effects made me switch to daily. with on demand i had headache, feeling tired, had strange dreams. when i switched to daily i notice the side effects where gone in 2/3 weeks. also it's easier because i have almost everyday bareback sex so daily is the best choice for me

• Like 1

On 8/26/2021 at 4:13 PM, rawTOP said:

Actually, "on-demand" PrEP works well for bottoms. You're basically protected after 2 hours. (If you then take it again every 24 hours until ~48 hours after your last sexual encounter.) This is because the primary risk for bottoms is in your GI tract, and that's where the medicine is immediately after you take it.

But a longer period is needed if you are a top or have a vagina and have vaginal sex. But tops are substantially less likely to get HIV (about 6.5x less risk).

Thanks @rawTOP.

Do you know how much longer the period should be for a top, or where to find that piece of information?